Removing a scratch is a very important part of the correction process. However, there are several different ways of removing several different types of scratches. It also needs an explanation on what removing a scratch actually means.
What does it mean to remove a scratch
A scratch is a form of surface imperfection. In many cases, it is a deep valley in the microscopic landscape of a painted surface with high angled edges. The depth of the scratch is deeper then the surrounding area. The shape of the scratch causes light to be reflected in a different way than the surrounding area, making it stand out. To remove the scratch you would either need to fill the gap, or remove the gap.
Filling the gap
Filling the gap is very difficult, the scratch is often only a micron wide, applying sometimes inside this requires equipment that is not available to regular people. Products like and wax have the capability to fill the gap, but the material that fills the gap is not nearly as strong as the paintwork itself. The effect will be very temporarily. Certain light conditions can still make the scratch visible.
Removing the scratch
The second option would be to remove the gap. This can be done by removing the same amount of the surrounding area as the depth of the scratch. If the scratch is 3 microns thick, you would need to remove 3 microns of the surrounding area.
Make it less visible
A scratch stands out because it breaks the light in a different way then the perfectly smooth surrounding area. If the removal of the scratch isn’t an option, you can smoothen the sharp edges to change the way the light break at the scratch. Smoother edges will reflect light in a slightly more similar way as the surrounding area, making the scratch less noticeable. It is still there, but it doesn’t stand out as much anymore.
Different type of scratch
There are several surface imperfections that can be present on a surface. They do not all have to be scratches, some can be chemical damage. A scratch can have different descriptions, but the general consensus is that a scratch is a mark in the surface that is longer then it is wide, and deeper then it is wide. It has a V shape with the mark being wider at the top and more narrow at the bottom. It can be isolated, but it can also be surrounded by similar scratches (like marring or swirls).
For some, you need to feel it when going over it with your nail.
Different ways or removal
This method will very gradually “sand” away a very thin layer in a controlled manner. The finish will be very smooth.
This method is the most aggressive method, removing a lot of paint and requiring cutting and polishing to finish off.
When there is very little clear coat to work with, it is possible to prep the paintwork for a new layer of clear coat. However, this is a very costly procedure.
- Although often overlooked, the sprayer is one of the more common used tools in the detailing arsenal. These distribute the liquid in the bottle to the surface you spray it on in a fine mist. Using a proper sprayhead can make a big difference....
- Mothers Wax is a California, America based manufacturer of detailing products. They offer a wide variety of products that include shampoo, wax, sealants and tools. They have been busy in the world of detailing for several years....
- It is often asked on detailing fora and social media: "what is the best glass cleaner". Off course there is a difference between certain products and brands, but it is important to know what you are asking. In this guide I will try to explain what the problem is with this question unless it is asked more in-depth....
- It is often asked on detailing fora and social media: "what is the best detailing brush". Off course there is a difference between certain products and brands, but it is important to know what you are asking. In this guide I will try to explain what the problem is with this question unless it is asked more in-depth....
- Different jobs require a different speed setting on your polish machine. Although they can differ slightly per machine, the settings are fairly general per action. Knowing the right speed setting can make the difference between half results, and proper results....
- Autoglym is an English manufacturer of detailing products. They have been active for a long time and have a very wide range of products. They even have a special line of products for the professional user....