A pad washer (or pad washer) is a tool that helps to clean polishing pads without removing them from the backing plate. The tool rinses out the pad so it can be used again while detailing. This is often quicker than changing the pad and eliminates the need for a second set of polishing pads.
Why use a pad washer
During polishing, the pad you are using will get dirty. This is due to paint particles that accumulate in the polishing liquid, the broken down polish particles and any oils that are used in the polishing product. When a polishing pad is “dirty” or “clogged”, the polish will just sit at the top. During polishing, the material of the pad will not touch the paintwork and the polishing pad will simply glide over the paintwork with the polish as a lubrication agent. The polish itself is not worked into the paintwork either, because there is to little friction and motion to truly break down the polish. This means you will hardly get any result. The best fix for this is to clean the polishing pad. The padwasher cleans the polishing pad and rinses out the dirty and wasted polish. The clean polishing pad can then be used to continue polishing with more effect.
What is a pad washer
The pad washer is a bucket-like tool that is filled with water (some people also use shampoo or in the water) and has a inner system that sprays up water when you push it down. The lid-like top opens up to allow the insertion the pad (still attached to the machine). The pad can then be cleaned with the system. The top prevents the splashing of water and the inner workings provide the cleaning effect. Most materials are made from plastic and the padwasher can be used several times. There are a few different variations on the way the inner system works, or how it looks like, but the basic principle is the same: water rinses out the pads, the turning motion then spins out the water and the pad is ready to be used again. In some cases you might need to repeat the steps to get a properly cleaned pad.
How to use a pad washer
The use of a pad washer is very simple, which is part of its success. It also simplifies a step during correction and needs little maintenance.
- The padwasher is filled with water (cleaning agent is optional)
- The top is opened (often by moving the 2 large parts to the side)
- The pad (still attached to the machine) is put into the pad washer
- The top is closed by moving the 2 parts back inwards again
- You push down the machine (slightly depends on the system, always read the manual) to wet the polishing pad
- PRess the machine down and turn the machine on (medium speed)
- Move the machine around while you press down and release the machine
- Keep doing this till you feel the pad is clean again
- Stop the machine when the pad is clean
- Lift the machine up a little bit so the pad is just out of the water (don’t lift it out of the bucket)
- Set the machine to a high setting and let it spin, this will spin out any water that is left in the pad
- Open the top and take out the machine
- Dog hair in the interior of a car can be real nuisance. The hairs get stuck in the fibers of the fabric and become very difficult to remove. Using just a vacuum cleaner is often unsuccesfull, however, with a few tips these hairs can be removed much easier....
- Microfiber Madness is a manufacturer of microfiber products. They specialize in towels and cloths and focus on creating high standard products that are the best in their field....
- A pre-wax cleaner is a product that helps to prepare the surface for a layer of wax, the effects the product can have can differ from just preparation by cleaning, to filling swirls (like a) and leaving an oily residue for added gloss....
- Auto detailing is the performance of thorough cleaning, restoration, and finishing of an automobile, both inside and out, to produce a show-quality level of detail....
- In the world of detailing, their are several special cleaning products. Among them is the tar remover. This is a special cleaning product to remove tar and often also glue residue. Tar can come from roads and sometimes at industrial places, it is used in asphalt roads and can be used at construction sites for roofing and some plumbing jobs. It doesn't cause damage, but shows up as ugly black spots which are notoriously difficult to remove....
- Wheels are an important part of your vehicles appearance. Polishing wheels can be just as effective on the overall look of the vehicle as the rest of the paintwork. Polishing wheels isn't very difficult, but takes some practice and the proper polish/tools to do it perfectly....
- It is often asked on detailing fora and social media: "what is the best leather protector". Off course there is a difference between certain products and brands, but it is important to know what you are asking. In this guide I will try to explain what the problem is with this question unless it is asked more in-depth....