A pad washer (or pad washer) is a tool that helps to clean polishing pads without removing them from the backing plate. The tool rinses out the pad so it can be used again while detailing. This is often quicker than changing the pad and eliminates the need for a second set of polishing pads.
Why use a pad washer
During polishing, the pad you are using will get dirty. This is due to paint particles that accumulate in the polishing liquid, the broken down polish particles and any oils that are used in the polishing product. When a polishing pad is “dirty” or “clogged”, the polish will just sit at the top. During polishing, the material of the pad will not touch the paintwork and the polishing pad will simply glide over the paintwork with the polish as a lubrication agent. The polish itself is not worked into the paintwork either, because there is to little friction and motion to truly break down the polish. This means you will hardly get any result. The best fix for this is to clean the polishing pad. The padwasher cleans the polishing pad and rinses out the dirty and wasted polish. The clean polishing pad can then be used to continue polishing with more effect.
What is a pad washer
The pad washer is a bucket-like tool that is filled with water (some people also use shampoo or APC in the water) and has a inner system that sprays up water when you push it down. The lid-like top opens up to allow the insertion the pad (still attached to the machine). The pad can then be cleaned with the system. The top prevents the splashing of water and the inner workings provide the cleaning effect. Most materials are made from plastic and the padwasher can be used several times. There are a few different variations on the way the inner system works, or how it looks like, but the basic principle is the same: water rinses out the pads, the turning motion then spins out the water and the pad is ready to be used again. In some cases you might need to repeat the steps to get a properly cleaned pad.
How to use a pad washer
The use of a pad washer is very simple, which is part of its success. It also simplifies a step during correction and needs little maintenance.
- The padwasher is filled with water (cleaning agent is optional)
- The top is opened (often by moving the 2 large parts to the side)
- The pad (still attached to the machine) is put into the pad washer
- The top is closed by moving the 2 parts back inwards again
- You push down the machine (slightly depends on the system, always read the manual) to wet the polishing pad
- PRess the machine down and turn the machine on (medium speed)
- Move the machine around while you press down and release the machine
- Keep doing this till you feel the pad is clean again
- Stop the machine when the pad is clean
- Lift the machine up a little bit so the pad is just out of the water (don’t lift it out of the bucket)
- Set the machine to a high setting and let it spin, this will spin out any water that is left in the pad
- Open the top and take out the machine
- Orange peel is the term for the unevenness of a layer of paint on top of a surface. When you look closely, the surface resembles the skin of an orange. Many detailers consider orange peel unwanted, ugly and a fault of the painter. Orange peel can be found in the clear coat and also in the colored layer of paint....
- A polishing pad is a tool that can be used to apply polish to a surface and process it in a mechanical way. Although these are most commonly used in combination with a machine polisher, there are also polishing pads to be used by hand....
- Delamination occurs when 2 layers seperate from each other. This can happen between many different types of material. Delamination can occur between 2 layers of paint, but also between a wax and a coating. Even when windowtint seperates from the window, it can be referred to as delamination....
- Menzerna is a Germany based manufacturer of industrial polishes, partly for the automotive detailing industry. Apart from manufacturing their own products, they also develop and manufacture products for others industrial companies....
- CyberClean is a putty-like product and part of the larger JOKER group. The brand creates specialized products that make removing dirt in difficult to reach areas very easy....
- Detailing an electric engine bay is slightly different to a normal engine bay because the lack of a combustible engine. Electric engine require attention to different aspects then combustion engines. Seeing as electric cars are getting more popular, these will become a common sight in the future....