A pad washer (or pad washer) is a tool that helps to clean polishing pads without removing them from the backing plate. The tool rinses out the pad so it can be used again while detailing. This is often quicker than changing the pad and eliminates the need for a second set of polishing pads.
Why use a pad washer
During polishing, the pad you are using will get dirty. This is due to paint particles that accumulate in the polishing liquid, the broken down polish particles and any oils that are used in the polishing product. When a polishing pad is “dirty” or “clogged”, the polish will just sit at the top. During polishing, the material of the pad will not touch the paintwork and the polishing pad will simply glide over the paintwork with the polish as a lubrication agent. The polish itself is not worked into the paintwork either, because there is to little friction and motion to truly break down the polish. This means you will hardly get any result. The best fix for this is to clean the polishing pad. The padwasher cleans the polishing pad and rinses out the dirty and wasted polish. The clean polishing pad can then be used to continue polishing with more effect.
What is a pad washer
The pad washer is a bucket-like tool that is filled with water (some people also use shampoo or APC in the water) and has a inner system that sprays up water when you push it down. The lid-like top opens up to allow the insertion the pad (still attached to the machine). The pad can then be cleaned with the system. The top prevents the splashing of water and the inner workings provide the cleaning effect. Most materials are made from plastic and the padwasher can be used several times. There are a few different variations on the way the inner system works, or how it looks like, but the basic principle is the same: water rinses out the pads, the turning motion then spins out the water and the pad is ready to be used again. In some cases you might need to repeat the steps to get a properly cleaned pad.
How to use a pad washer
The use of a pad washer is very simple, which is part of its success. It also simplifies a step during correction and needs little maintenance.
- The padwasher is filled with water (cleaning agent is optional)
- The top is opened (often by moving the 2 large parts to the side)
- The pad (still attached to the machine) is put into the pad washer
- The top is closed by moving the 2 parts back inwards again
- You push down the machine (slightly depends on the system, always read the manual) to wet the polishing pad
- PRess the machine down and turn the machine on (medium speed)
- Move the machine around while you press down and release the machine
- Keep doing this till you feel the pad is clean again
- Stop the machine when the pad is clean
- Lift the machine up a little bit so the pad is just out of the water (don’t lift it out of the bucket)
- Set the machine to a high setting and let it spin, this will spin out any water that is left in the pad
- Open the top and take out the machine
- It is often asked on detailing fora and social media: "what is the best microfibre towel". Off course there is a difference between certain products and brands, but it is important to know what you are asking. In this guide I will try to explain what the problem is with this question unless it is asked more in-depth....
- There are a few different types of leather-like materials that can be used in a vehicle. Although many fabrics look and feel like leather, it might not be real leather. Fake leather is a commonly used product in regular priced vehicles and can be known via a few different names....
- When leather is new, damaged, re-painted or cleaned thoroughly, it might be necessary to add a new layer of protection. This protection prevents the leather from drying out, cracking, fading or suffering to much from general wear and tear....
- A steamer is a device that uses the steam from heated water (under pressure) to pump through a hose. When it leaves the hose, it can be used to clean certain surfaces with. The advantage of using steam is the relative high temperature that can help to loosen up dirt and certain chemicals....
- Carbon Collective is an English manufacturer of different types of detailing products. The company is located in Daventry, England and has a distributor in America. They company has a selection of approved detailers and retailers in Europe and a distributor in America....
- After washing a vehicle, the recommended step is to rinse the soap off. But not everybody actually knows why its recommended. Why not just dry off the soap and with it, the vehicle? Rinsing is one of the many steps of washing a car properly. And shouldn't be skipped, unless you are using a rinseless of waterless washing products....