A pad washer (or pad washer) is a tool that helps to clean polishing pads without removing them from the backing plate. The tool rinses out the pad so it can be used again while detailing. This is often quicker than changing the pad and eliminates the need for a second set of polishing pads.
Why use a pad washer
During polishing, the pad you are using will get dirty. This is due to paint particles that accumulate in the polishing liquid, the broken down polish particles and any oils that are used in the polishing product. When a polishing pad is “dirty” or “clogged”, the polish will just sit at the top. During polishing, the material of the pad will not touch the paintwork and the polishing pad will simply glide over the paintwork with the polish as a lubrication agent. The polish itself is not worked into the paintwork either, because there is to little friction and motion to truly break down the polish. This means you will hardly get any result. The best fix for this is to clean the polishing pad. The padwasher cleans the polishing pad and rinses out the dirty and wasted polish. The clean polishing pad can then be used to continue polishing with more effect.
What is a pad washer
The pad washer is a bucket-like tool that is filled with water (some people also use shampoo or in the water) and has a inner system that sprays up water when you push it down. The lid-like top opens up to allow the insertion the pad (still attached to the machine). The pad can then be cleaned with the system. The top prevents the splashing of water and the inner workings provide the cleaning effect. Most materials are made from plastic and the padwasher can be used several times. There are a few different variations on the way the inner system works, or how it looks like, but the basic principle is the same: water rinses out the pads, the turning motion then spins out the water and the pad is ready to be used again. In some cases you might need to repeat the steps to get a properly cleaned pad.
How to use a pad washer
The use of a pad washer is very simple, which is part of its success. It also simplifies a step during correction and needs little maintenance.
- The padwasher is filled with water (cleaning agent is optional)
- The top is opened (often by moving the 2 large parts to the side)
- The pad (still attached to the machine) is put into the pad washer
- The top is closed by moving the 2 parts back inwards again
- You push down the machine (slightly depends on the system, always read the manual) to wet the polishing pad
- PRess the machine down and turn the machine on (medium speed)
- Move the machine around while you press down and release the machine
- Keep doing this till you feel the pad is clean again
- Stop the machine when the pad is clean
- Lift the machine up a little bit so the pad is just out of the water (don’t lift it out of the bucket)
- Set the machine to a high setting and let it spin, this will spin out any water that is left in the pad
- Open the top and take out the machine
- The 3-bucket method is just like the 2-bucket method, a generally accepted safe way to wash a vehicle. The difference is that you use 3 buckets instead of 2. The third bucket can be used for more then 1 different reason....
- Traffic film removers are specific products, designed to do a certain task. In this case the removal of traffic film. A product like this is not difficult in its use, but caution should be taken to prevent damage, stains or other unwanted results. This guide might not apply to 100% of the products on the market, but will give you a good starting point....
- IGL Coatings was founded in 2014 in Malaysia, and offers coatings with the aim of combining eco-friendly properties with high-perfomance properties. The brand is available in many countries worldwide via a network of distributors....
- Stripping is the act of removing a certain product/residue/film from a surface, often with the purpose of re-applying a new product. Stripping can be done chemically or mechanically and is a common step when re-applying a new form of protection....
- The squeegee is a rubber handheld tool that is dragged over the surface, wiping off the water from the surface it is used on. The blade is usually made from (synthetic) rubber and is fairly flexible on its own. The use of the squeegee is a popular topic of debate because of its potential of creating surface imperfections....
- A rinseless wash is a washing technique that allows you to wash your car in a way that does not require rinsing afterwards. It is not waterless, but rinseless. This way of washing can save on time and/or product and prevents too much chemicals from going down the drain....