It is often asked on detailing fora and social media: “what is the best Dual Action”. Off course there is a difference between certain products and brands, but it is important to know what you are asking. In this guide I will try to explain what the problem is with this question unless it is asked more in-depth.
The general problem
When somebody asks what the best shampoo is, they are not letting other people know what they mean with “best”. A shampoo is developed with several characteristics in mind. It has to be slick, good soluble in water, good cleaning properties, wax/sealant-safe and several more. These properties can be very different between products and/or brands. In the question “What is the best shampoo”, it is nowhere specified if that person is looking for a shampoo that is very slick, if it just smells nice or if it is the least protection-affecting.
So it is almost impossible to give an answer.
What to keep in mind when you ask the question
Many detailers are searching for a certain product that offers good quality. This could mean that they are looking for a cheap product, one that smells good, etc. Before you ask the question which product is the best it is important to know what you are looking for. Are you looking for a wax that offers mainly gloss? Or is easy to buff off? Or one that offers as much gloss?
It is important to know what you are looking for, and to know that there will be cases in which 2 properties can not be combined. A shampoo that is really awesome at washing away stubborn grease can not be wax safe. Simply because you need a certain harshness to remove the grease, harshness that is more then the wax can handle. Even sealants are likely to be affected by this.
A list of things to consider
Here is a list of properties you might consider including in your question. These can be your own preferences, or just things you find important. This list is simply made to help you find out what you exactly want to ask, so you will get better answers that suit your search.
Polishing machine – Dual Action
- Speed control
- Size of the pad
- Amount of throw
- Expected life span
- Length of cable
- 5/16″ thread
- Different backingplates
- Amount of vibration
- When you polish a surface, the level of imperfection defines how much work it will be to achieve a perfect finish. This can either be a 1 stage polish, a 2 stage polish or even a 3 stage polish. Different types of stages needed define slightly what pads and/or polish you are going to need, and might give an indication of the time-frame needed....
- Introducing a Newbie to PolishingThe(Dual Action) polisher is considered by many to be the machine to use if you are new to machine polishing, though as discussed elsewhere, this is not always the case - rather, you should try wherever possible to try both styles of machine ( and rotary) and see which suit your style the best as many will find the vibrations of polisher unsettling and this struggle with the control of the machine can actually make it more dangerous than the smoother rotary....
- A polymers is a molecule (or large molecules) that can be used by manufacturers in order to fine-tune a product, or even to add certain properties to it. Polymers can be natural or synthetic. The synthetic group are also called: silicones....
- Masking tape is tape designed to be applied to sensitive surfaces with the aim of masking off certain areas and easy and residue free removal. Masking tape comes in several sizes and can be varies colors. It helps to prevent polish from getting onto surfaces you don't want it to get at....
- AlloyGator Ltd is an English company that manufacturers plastic inserts that can be mounted between the wheel and the rim to prevent damage to the rim when hitting a curb. The products are being sold in various countries around the world and are known under the name "AlloyGator"....
- Sheeting is a particular form of water behavior. Thanks to the interaction between a liquid and a surface, sheeting can occur. This means that the water glides off the surface like a big "sheet" of water. There are a few different things at play that cause sheeting, but it is a popular effect that protective layer can give....
- It is often asked on detailing fora and social media: "what is the best pressure washer". Off course there is a difference between certain products and brands, but it is important to know what you are asking. In this guide I will try to explain what the problem is with this question unless it is asked more in-depth....
- When you have stone chips, you probably want to fix it. However, it is not like you can just spray paint your car again. Certain stone chips are more easy to repair then others. With a lot of practice, it can give a very good end result....