It is often asked on detailing fora and social media: “what is the best leather protector”. Off course there is a difference between certain products and brands, but it is important to know what you are asking. In this guide I will try to explain what the problem is with this question unless it is asked more in-depth.
The general problem
When somebody asks what the best shampoo is, they are not letting other people know what they mean with “best”. A shampoo is developed with several characteristics in mind. It has to be slick, good soluble in water, good cleaning properties, wax/sealant-safe and several more. These properties can be very different between products and/or brands. In the question “What is the best shampoo”, it is nowhere specified if that person is looking for a shampoo that is very slick, if it just smells nice or if it is the least protection-affecting.
So it is almost impossible to give an answer.
What to keep in mind when you ask the question
Many detailers are searching for a certain product that offers good quality. This could mean that they are looking for a cheap product, one that smells good, etc. Before you ask the question which product is the best it is important to know what you are looking for. Are you looking for a wax that offers mainly gloss? Or is easy to buff off? Or one that offers as much gloss?
It is important to know what you are looking for, and to know that there will be cases in which 2 properties can not be combined. A shampoo that is really awesome at washing away stubborn grease can not be wax safe. Simply because you need a certain harshness to remove the grease, harshness that is more then the wax can handle. Even sealants are likely to be affected by this.
A list of things to consider
Here is a list of properties you might consider including in your question. These can be your own preferences, or just things you find important. This list is simply made to help you find out what you exactly want to ask, so you will get better answers that suit your search.
- Affects protection
- Size of bottle
- Affects leather dye
- Protects against ink and jean-stains
- Needs aftercare
- Feeds the leather
- Attracts dust and dirt
- Not all coatings have enough effect on the oxidized look of UV-damaged plastic. Most dressing restore the look better, but don't offer the protection of a coating. Combining these 2 seems illogical and difficult, but it isn't....
- Surf City Garage is an American manufacturer of automotive detailing products. The brand was born after the owner was not satisfied with the products he used for his 150 car collection of classics....
- Alloy wheels are specific wheels have been made out of aluminium or magnesium, with certain other elements added. They can come in various shapes and sizes and even the finish can differ greatly between models or brands....
- Ardex Laboratories is an Philadelphia, America based manufacturer of several different detailing and carwash products. The company was founded in 1950 bij Arron Goldman en Dexter. The current range offers a wide variety of products for several different stages in the detailing process....
- It is often asked on detailing fora and social media: "what is the best pressure washer". Off course there is a difference between certain products and brands, but it is important to know what you are asking. In this guide I will try to explain what the problem is with this question unless it is asked more in-depth....
- A silicone remover is specially designed product that is aimed at breaking the polymer bonds that are the basis behind a silicone product. This product can be used to clean of certain substances from an area, for example: cleaning of residue from a protective product before applying a coating....