When cleaning a convertible, you may have to clean a soft top. This is a fabric canopy that covers the cabin of the car. This fabric needs to be cleaned before it can be protected.
Types of convertible
In general there are 2 types of convertibles you will encounter, the ones you can clay and polish (hard-top) and the ones that you can’t (soft-top). The soft top can be made of several fabrics, depending on it’s age and sometimes the manufacturer. In early days, they started out with canvas, this later became vinyl, butyl rubber and latex. This later became a mix of and cotton and currently they are made of Haartz cloth.
Most of these types of fabric have a few things in common, they are porous and not very by design.
Why clean before protecting
It’s mostly a matter of contamination. When the fabric is contaminated, the protective product will behave in a different way because it wasn’t designed to bond with contaminants. This can affect the durability, chemical resistance, properties and overal performance. Cleaning the soft-top will also remove any damaging particles that can have a negative effect on the structure of the fabric.
To put it simply, cleaning a soft-top is a matter of proper maintenance and also to improve the performance of the protective product you are going to use.
The steps for cleaning a soft top
Some of the steps described below are not needed. The optional ones are marked with a *.
- Rinse off the soft top to remove the most superficial dust and dirt
- *Spray roof with snowfoam
- *Leave snowfoam to dwell and then rinse of thoroughly
- Wash like normal with regular car shampoo
- Rinse off shampoo
- Spray roof liberally with
- Agitate with a brush or bristle
- Rinse off thoroughly
- *In case of green (mildew, mould) contamination, mix ammonia and distilled water at 2:1, and spray the area liberally
- *Leave the ammonia/water mix to dwell and rinse off
- *In case of oil or grime on/in the fabric, you can use a Traffic Film Remover or dedicated Engine Bay Cleaner to loosen up even more dirt. This can also be agitated with a brush or bristle (remember to try it out on a small patch first)
- *Rinse off the Traffic Film Remover
- Continue using until the surface appears to be clean (leave to dwell for a little while)
- Leave roof to dry, if you are in a hurry you can use a wet/dry vacuum to speed up the drying, or use a hair dryer
- A wet/dry vac will help to give a clue on how dirty the water really is, and will suck out a lot of the loosened up dirt
- After drying you can see how the fabric looks like, if you see patches, it could still be dirty
- If the fabric has dust on it after drying, you can use a sticky clother roller to remove these
Things to consider for preparation
- You can cover the rest of the car in protective plastic, to prevent it getting dirty and wet
- Check if the soft top doesn’t leak, you don’t want to end up cleaning out the interior as well
- Clean your bristles and brushes, a dirty tool won’t help to clean something
- Don’t underestimate the amount of you’ll use
- If the soft top is dry, you h2can clean some superficial dust with a sticky cloths-roller
- Make sure the clamps for the soft top are fastened, and it has a good seal with the front window, and the sides
Some people hope that cleaning the soft top will instantly make it look better, this is not always the case. The color of the fabric can fade over time, the plastic rear-window can oxidize and become dull, the fabric can stretch and loose its shape. Cleaning the fabric might not always fix the cosmetics of the soft top.
A few expectations that might not always be reasonable:
- Road spray is a dirty mist of contaminants in the air, thrown up by a vehicle driving over the road. Road spray is partly the cause for traffic film and can cause dirt and grime, even when the weather has been dry and there is no obvious origin for dirt on a vehicle....
- It is often asked on detailing fora and social media: "what is the best XXXX". Off course there is a difference between certain products and brands, but it is important to know what you are asking. In this guide I will try to explain what the problem is with this question unless it is asked more in-depth....
- Washing is the act of replacing unwanted particles/substances from a surface to a carrying medium. This act is used to clean the surface that is being washed....
- Alchimy7 is a French manufacturer of detailing products, their main focus lies on synthetic products. The complete range includes products for almost every step in the detailing process....
- How do you achieve the results from the videos about detailing? What is being shown in the video, and why? How can you learn from a video showing a detailer in action?...
- Westhill Trading Ltd is an English manufacturer of products used in detailing and valeting. Among others, Westhill Trading is the company behind Colourlock, known for cleaning, restoring and coloring leather surfaces. The company used to be called Westhill Properties Ltd up until Februari 2015....
- Polishing glass is not the same as polishing paint. Using the right technique will help to get easier results. Glass can be polished when it suffers from wiper marks and small imperfections....
- A leather cleaner is a specially designed product to clean leather in a gentle and safe way. The product is designed to remove dirt and grime without having any effect on the material....