When cleaning a convertible, you may have to clean a soft top. This is a fabric canopy that covers the cabin of the car. This fabric needs to be cleaned before it can be protected.
Types of convertible
In general there are 2 types of convertibles you will encounter, the ones you can clay and polish (hard-top) and the ones that you can’t (soft-top). The soft top can be made of several fabrics, depending on it’s age and sometimes the manufacturer. In early days, they started out with canvas, this later became vinyl, butyl rubber and latex. This later became a mix of PVC and cotton and currently they are made of Haartz cloth.
Most of these types of fabric have a few things in common, they are porous and not very Hydrophobic by design.
Why clean before protecting
It’s mostly a matter of contamination. When the fabric is contaminated, the protective product will behave in a different way because it wasn’t designed to bond with contaminants. This can affect the durability, chemical resistance, Hydrophobic properties and overal performance. Cleaning the soft-top will also remove any damaging particles that can have a negative effect on the structure of the fabric.
To put it simply, cleaning a soft-top is a matter of proper maintenance and also to improve the performance of the protective product you are going to use.
The steps for cleaning a soft top
Some of the steps described below are not needed. The optional ones are marked with a *.
- Rinse off the soft top to remove the most superficial dust and dirt
- *Spray roof with snowfoam
- *Leave snowfoam to dwell and then rinse of thoroughly
- Wash like normal with regular car shampoo
- Rinse off shampoo
- Spray roof liberally with APC
- Agitate APC with a brush or bristle
- Rinse off APC thoroughly
- *In case of green (mildew, mould) contamination, mix ammonia and distilled water at 2:1, and spray the area liberally
- *Leave the ammonia/water mix to dwell and rinse off
- *In case of oil or grime on/in the fabric, you can use a Traffic Film Remover or dedicated Engine Bay Cleaner to loosen up even more dirt. This can also be agitated with a brush or bristle (remember to try it out on a small patch first)
- *Rinse off the Traffic Film Remover
- Continue using APC until the surface appears to be clean (leave APC to dwell for a little while)
- Leave roof to dry, if you are in a hurry you can use a wet/dry vacuum to speed up the drying, or use a hair dryer
- A wet/dry vac will help to give a clue on how dirty the water really is, and will suck out a lot of the loosened up dirt
- After drying you can see how the fabric looks like, if you see patches, it could still be dirty
- If the fabric has dust on it after drying, you can use a sticky clother roller to remove these
Things to consider for preparation
- You can cover the rest of the car in protective plastic, to prevent it getting dirty and wet
- Check if the soft top doesn’t leak, you don’t want to end up cleaning out the interior as well
- Clean your bristles and brushes, a dirty tool won’t help to clean something
- Don’t underestimate the amount of APC you’ll use
- If the soft top is dry, you h2can clean some superficial dust with a sticky cloths-roller
- Make sure the clamps for the soft top are fastened, and it has a good seal with the front window, and the sides
Some people hope that cleaning the soft top will instantly make it look better, this is not always the case. The color of the fabric can fade over time, the plastic rear-window can oxidize and become dull, the fabric can stretch and loose its shape. Cleaning the fabric might not always fix the cosmetics of the soft top.
A few expectations that might not always be reasonable:
- There are several ways of drying your car. Drying the car with a microfiber towel is one of them. It is very common one for detailers, because microfiber towels are easy to maintain and re-use, and they minimize the risk of swirls....
- A vacuum cleaner is a device that uses underpressure to suck in air via an attachment (hose). The sucked in air will pull debris and dirt with the in going air, which often ends up in a removable bag. The vacuum cleaner makes it possible to transport material without mechanical cleaning or the use of cleaning liquids....
- A surface imperfection is an unwanted difference in depth, height or structure to the surrounding area. For example: a scratch, which is basically a sudden difference in depth with an edge that has an angle that is very different to the one of the surrounding area....
- In the world of detailing, their are several special cleaning products. Among them is the tar remover. This is a special cleaning product to remove tar and often also glue residue. Tar can come from roads and sometimes at industrial places, it is used in asphalt roads and can be used at construction sites for roofing and some plumbing jobs. It doesn't cause damage, but shows up as ugly black spots which are notoriously difficult to remove....
- The interior of a car needs regular cleaning, the contaminants found here can be totally different from the outside, which requires different products and different ways of safely removing them. ...
- In the field of protective products, the sealant has become a rising star. The demand for an easy to use sealant has grown over the last decade. There is also a rise in quality of the ingredients used with the advancements made in the field of polymer-technology, resulting in better performing products. ...