When cleaning a convertible, you may have to clean a soft top. This is a fabric canopy that covers the cabin of the car. This fabric needs to be cleaned before it can be protected.
Types of convertible
In general there are 2 types of convertibles you will encounter, the ones you can clay and polish (hard-top) and the ones that you can’t (soft-top). The soft top can be made of several fabrics, depending on it’s age and sometimes the manufacturer. In early days, they started out with canvas, this later became vinyl, butyl rubber and latex. This later became a mix of and cotton and currently they are made of Haartz cloth.
Most of these types of fabric have a few things in common, they are porous and not very by design.
Why clean before protecting
It’s mostly a matter of contamination. When the fabric is contaminated, the protective product will behave in a different way because it wasn’t designed to bond with contaminants. This can affect the durability, chemical resistance, properties and overal performance. Cleaning the soft-top will also remove any damaging particles that can have a negative effect on the structure of the fabric.
To put it simply, cleaning a soft-top is a matter of proper maintenance and also to improve the performance of the protective product you are going to use.
The steps for cleaning a soft top
Some of the steps described below are not needed. The optional ones are marked with a *.
- Rinse off the soft top to remove the most superficial dust and dirt
- *Spray roof with snowfoam
- *Leave snowfoam to dwell and then rinse of thoroughly
- Wash like normal with regular car shampoo
- Rinse off shampoo
- Spray roof liberally with
- Agitate with a brush or bristle
- Rinse off thoroughly
- *In case of green (mildew, mould) contamination, mix ammonia and distilled water at 2:1, and spray the area liberally
- *Leave the ammonia/water mix to dwell and rinse off
- *In case of oil or grime on/in the fabric, you can use a Traffic Film Remover or dedicated Engine Bay Cleaner to loosen up even more dirt. This can also be agitated with a brush or bristle (remember to try it out on a small patch first)
- *Rinse off the Traffic Film Remover
- Continue using until the surface appears to be clean (leave to dwell for a little while)
- Leave roof to dry, if you are in a hurry you can use a wet/dry vacuum to speed up the drying, or use a hair dryer
- A wet/dry vac will help to give a clue on how dirty the water really is, and will suck out a lot of the loosened up dirt
- After drying you can see how the fabric looks like, if you see patches, it could still be dirty
- If the fabric has dust on it after drying, you can use a sticky clother roller to remove these
Things to consider for preparation
- You can cover the rest of the car in protective plastic, to prevent it getting dirty and wet
- Check if the soft top doesn’t leak, you don’t want to end up cleaning out the interior as well
- Clean your bristles and brushes, a dirty tool won’t help to clean something
- Don’t underestimate the amount of you’ll use
- If the soft top is dry, you h2can clean some superficial dust with a sticky cloths-roller
- Make sure the clamps for the soft top are fastened, and it has a good seal with the front window, and the sides
Some people hope that cleaning the soft top will instantly make it look better, this is not always the case. The color of the fabric can fade over time, the plastic rear-window can oxidize and become dull, the fabric can stretch and loose its shape. Cleaning the fabric might not always fix the cosmetics of the soft top.
A few expectations that might not always be reasonable:
- An engine bay cleaner is a specific product that is designed to clean engine. This very heavy degreaser is designed to remove caked on carbon deposits, stubborn grime and dirt and caked on dust and sand....
- Sheeting is a particular form of water behavior. Thanks to the interaction between a liquid and a surface, sheeting can occur. This means that the water glides off the surface like a big "sheet" of water. There are a few different things at play that cause sheeting, but it is a popular effect that protective layer can give....
- In the field of protection, there are generally 4 groups of products: wax, sealant, hybrid and coatings. These products can be combined, but with mixed results. Knowing what the properties of a product are will clarify the end result....
- A silicone remover is specially designed product that is aimed at breaking the polymer bonds that are the basis behind a silicone product. This product can be used to clean of certain substances from an area, for example: cleaning of residue from a protective product before applying a coating....
- Brake cleaner is a specific product that is designed to clean off brake pads and brake discs. The solution is sprayed on the object and then wiped off. It is particularly good at removing stubborn dirt, cleaning of grease and oils and removing brake dust....
- This is the act of removing said contamination. The aim of turning a contaminated area into a pure and perfectly clean area. Decontamination can be achieved in several different ways....