Why use a glass polish
Glass is softer then you might think. It will get damaged by stones thrown up by the car in front of you, the wiper moving over the window, you scraping off the ice in the winter etc. And the scratches it causes, are very difficult to remove. A normal polish isn’t rough and strong enough to polish glass. Most normal pads are also to soft. Specialized glass polish (and a glass polish pad) is composed from different ingredients, and has much more effect on glass.
Polishing glass is also a very effective way of deep cleaning the glass. This will help a lot in the preparation for a glass sealant/coating.
Some people think they can have just as much result on glass as they have on paintwork. But this is not the case. Removing a scratch is done by removing as much paintwork as the depth of the scratch. But with glass, this would mean that you have to remove a few microns. And this takes a lot of effort. It would not be realistic to expect to have a perfect window. You might make the wiper-streaks less visible, but these won’t be removed. If you have a serious scratch or deep imperfection, you won’t be able to remove this, at most you’ll make it less noticeable. Just because there is a glass polish, don’t expect to much. The results will generally be that you have made things less noticeable, but not removed.
Things that can go wrong
When polishing glass, you’ll need a rotary and a fair bit of experience. Polishing the glass will create heat, and to much heat can crack the glass. You also need to apply pressure on the glass, and to much pressure can also break the glass. Putting way to much time and pressure at one certain point can potentially lead to a slight bending of the light. This won’t be very much, but in some very extreme cases it can be noticed. But even in that case, it will be very slight and only noticeable in certain circumstances.
A short list of wrong thinking.
- You can correct the glass for 100%
- Polishing will make the glass act like a fun-house mirror
- You will cause only damage
- Polishing will make it hydrophobic
Things to keep in mind
Although a glass polish isn’t extremely difficult to use, it needs to be applied properly to have the most effect. You can read the How to polish glass article, or you can ask your manufacturer for more information on the subject.
- OCD Finish is an English manufacturer and seller of detailing products. The brand was setup by the annoynce of having to buy many different products from different sources. It started out with 2 owners and is run by Neil Trew at the moment....
- Autosmart is one of the biggest suppliers of car cleaning products and materials, which are mostly supplied just to professionals and other businesses. The company aims at formulating large quantities which push production costs down. Autosmart is almost being sold worldwide and is based in Staffordshire, United Kingdom....
- There might be certain situation in which it is advised to not polish a certain surface. This can be due to damage, time limit, thin surface or other factors. Knowing when not to polish might be as important as knowing when to polish....
- One of the best ways to take your car’s paintwork to the next level is to use a machine polisher to remove the swirl marks and enhance the gloss by burnishing the finish. Polishing can be done by hand or by a dual action polisher. However, the rotary polisher represents the next step in machine polishing: a tool highly capable of fast correction but also capable of very high clarity, sharp and deep finishes....
- Britemax (formerly: Metal Masters) started out in 2004 with a strong focus on metal polishing products. The current range has grown into compounds, glazes, sealants and waxes with several different types of cleaning products. The company originates from the united Kingdom....
- Question arise occasionally about the buffing of compound. Buffing compound can be done in a few simple ways, and since it's the same as polishing it won't be have a high learning curve....