It is often asked on detailing fora and social media: “what is the best polish”. Off course there is a difference between certain products and brands, but it is important to know what you are asking. In this guide I will try to explain what the problem is with this question unless it is asked more in-depth.
The general problem
When somebody asks what the best shampoo is, they are not letting other people know what they mean with “best”. A shampoo is developed with several characteristics in mind. It has to be slick, good soluble in water, good cleaning properties, wax/sealant-safe and several more. These properties can be very different between products and/or brands. In the question “What is the best shampoo”, it is nowhere specified if that person is looking for a shampoo that is very slick, if it just smells nice or if it is the least protection-affecting.
So it is almost impossible to give an answer.
What to keep in mind when you ask the question
Many detailers are searching for a certain product that offers good quality. This could mean that they are looking for a cheap product, one that smells good, etc. Before you ask the question which product is the best it is important to know what you are looking for. Are you looking for a wax that offers mainly gloss? Or is easy to buff off? Or one that offers as much gloss?
It is important to know what you are looking for, and to know that there will be cases in which 2 properties can not be combined. A shampoo that is really awesome at washing away stubborn grease can not be wax safe. Simply because you need a certain harshness to remove the grease, harshness that is more then the wax can handle. Even sealants are likely to be affected by this.
A list of things to consider
Here is a list of properties you might consider including in your question. These can be your own preferences, or just things you find important. This list is simply made to help you find out what you exactly want to ask, so you will get better answers that suit your search.
- SMAT or DAT
- Compound or polish
- To remove swirls
- To remove scratches
- To remove revere paint defects
- Can be used in the sun
- Can be used by hand or by machine
- Very slick
- Kärcher is a German manufacturer of several technical products, most known for its high pressure washers. The company mainly aims at cleaning equipment and has been in service since 1935 by Alfred Kärcher....
- Overall pad performance is dependent on the type and amount of fabric, stiffness and length of the fibers and how they are attached to the pad. The difference between a foam pad, different kind of wool pads and a microfiber pad are discussed in relation to the Kevin Brown Method....
- When cleaning a convertible, you may have to clean the soft top. This is a fabric canopy that covers the cabin of the car. This fabric needs to be cleaned before it can be protected....
- CNS Tech Inc is a Korean company that manufacturers, developes and researches different types of coating products. CNS Tech INC creates a few different ranges, with the main difference being the professional or personal user. Coating Farm is the personal range. Other ranges are G1, Mega Ceramic, Megashield and Aqua Coat....
- Underbody cleaning is the act of cleaning the underside of the car to remove any dirt and restore the looks as when the car was new. This is a tedious and labor intensive job, but good cleaning products and tools can help to make it easier....
- The interior of a car needs regular cleaning, the contaminants found here can be totally different from the outside, which requires different products and different ways of safely removing them. ...