It is often asked on detailing fora and social media: “what is the best wheelbrush”. Off course there is a difference between certain products and brands, but it is important to know what you are asking. In this guide I will try to explain what the problem is with this question unless it is asked more in-depth.
The general problem
When somebody asks what the best shampoo is, they are not letting other people know what they mean with “best”. A shampoo is developed with several characteristics in mind. It has to be slick, good soluble in water, good cleaning properties, wax/sealant-safe and several more. These properties can be very different between products and/or brands. In the question “What is the best shampoo”, it is nowhere specified if that person is looking for a shampoo that is very slick, if it just smells nice or if it is the least protection-affecting.
So it is almost impossible to give an answer.
What to keep in mind when you ask the question
Many detailers are searching for a certain product that offers good quality. This could mean that they are looking for a cheap product, one that smells good, etc. Before you ask the question which product is the best it is important to know what you are looking for. Are you looking for a wax that offers mainly gloss? Or is easy to buff off? Or one that offers as much gloss?
It is important to know what you are looking for, and to know that there will be cases in which 2 properties can not be combined. A shampoo that is really awesome at washing away stubborn grease can not be wax safe. Simply because you need a certain harshness to remove the grease, harshness that is more then the wax can handle. Even sealants are likely to be affected by this.
A list of things to consider
Here is a list of properties you might consider including in your question. These can be your own preferences, or just things you find important. This list is simply made to help you find out what you exactly want to ask, so you will get better answers that suit your search.
- Hog or horse hair brush or nylon hair
- To scrub of agitate
- Long hair or short hair
- For wheels or arches
- A very common and popular practice on social media is the picture of the 50/50 shot. This shows a very clear line that divides a fully polished section and an uncorrected section. This is done to demonstrate the difference you can get from a full correction....
- Colad is part of the EMM company, along with Hamach and Ronin Tools. The headoffice is based in The Netherlands and aims at any sector that works with colored coats such as automotive paint. They offer a very wide range of products such as measuring cups, tools and ventilation....
- Smartwax is an American brand of detailing products located in California. The brand was established around 2003 and has a fairly wide range of products that is being offered via several different resellers....
- Simoniz is an American brand of car detailing products that are being sold all around the world. They offer a wide range of products and services, aimed at creating a network of professional detailer who use their products....
- In the field of protection, there are generally 4 groups of products: wax, sealant, hybrid and coatings. These products can be combined, but with mixed results. Knowing what the properties of a product are will clarify the end result....
- Hamach is part of the EMM company, along with Colad and Ronin Tools. The headoffice is based in The Netherlands and aims at any sector that works with colored coats such as automotive paint. They offer a very wide range of products such as measuring cups, tools and ventilation....