It is often asked on detailing fora and social media: “what is the best wheelbrush”. Off course there is a difference between certain products and brands, but it is important to know what you are asking. In this guide I will try to explain what the problem is with this question unless it is asked more in-depth.
The general problem
When somebody asks what the best shampoo is, they are not letting other people know what they mean with “best”. A shampoo is developed with several characteristics in mind. It has to be slick, good soluble in water, good cleaning properties, wax/sealant-safe and several more. These properties can be very different between products and/or brands. In the question “What is the best shampoo”, it is nowhere specified if that person is looking for a shampoo that is very slick, if it just smells nice or if it is the least protection-affecting.
So it is almost impossible to give an answer.
What to keep in mind when you ask the question
Many detailers are searching for a certain product that offers good quality. This could mean that they are looking for a cheap product, one that smells good, etc. Before you ask the question which product is the best it is important to know what you are looking for. Are you looking for a wax that offers mainly gloss? Or is easy to buff off? Or one that offers as much gloss?
It is important to know what you are looking for, and to know that there will be cases in which 2 properties can not be combined. A shampoo that is really awesome at washing away stubborn grease can not be wax safe. Simply because you need a certain harshness to remove the grease, harshness that is more then the wax can handle. Even sealants are likely to be affected by this.
A list of things to consider
Here is a list of properties you might consider including in your question. These can be your own preferences, or just things you find important. This list is simply made to help you find out what you exactly want to ask, so you will get better answers that suit your search.
- Hog or horse hair brush or nylon hair
- To scrub of agitate
- Long hair or short hair
- For wheels or arches
- Masking tape is tape designed to be applied to sensitive surfaces with the aim of masking off certain areas and easy and residue free removal. Masking tape comes in several sizes and can be varies colors. It helps to prevent polish from getting onto surfaces you don't want it to get at....
- A leather cleaner is a specially designed product to clean leather in a gentle and safe way. The product is designed to remove dirt and grime without having any effect on the material....
- Auto Finesse is an UK based brand of detailing products, although their aim lies mainly with automotive detailing, they also sells several items that can be used for marine detailing, motorbike detailing and/or aircraft detailing....
- It is often asked on detailing fora and social media: "what is the best leather protector". Off course there is a difference between certain products and brands, but it is important to know what you are asking. In this guide I will try to explain what the problem is with this question unless it is asked more in-depth....
- Overall pad performance is dependent on the type and amount of fabric, stiffness and length of the fibers and how they are attached to the pad. The difference between a foam pad, different kind of wool pads and a microfiber pad are discussed in relation to the Kevin Brown Method....
- Plexiglass/perspex is a very soft type of plastic (Polymethyl methacrylate) that is very rarely used. Just like glass or paintwork, it can suffer from surface imperfections. Swirls and scratches can be very visible because it is fully transparent....