Although often overlooked, the sprayer is one of the more common used tools in the detailing arsenal. These distribute the liquid in the bottle to the surface you spray it on in a fine mist. Using a proper sprayhead can make a big difference.
- 1 Why the need for a sprayer
- 2 Where most sprayheads fail
- 3 Tips to prolong the lifespan
- 4 Using industrial sprayers
Why the need for a sprayer
When working with certain cleaners, it can help to apply the product as economical as possible. IT also helps to cover a larger area or simply to spread the product out as much as you can. This also applies to sealants and many other sprayable products. This means you need a device that can squirt out the liquid in a very fine mist, or a very fixed pattern. In some cases it even helps to have a nozzle that can be adjusted for the type of spray you need. Having a good sprayhead will then make a large difference.
Where most sprayheads fail
Many manufacturers will supply their products with a sprayer. However, those sprayheads need to be economically priced. Most manufacturers will save money on their sprayheads and supply their products with cheap sprayheads. This means that the sprayheads can easily get clogged if a product can solidify (like some sealants), if it has particles that lump together, if the chemicals are very harsh and/or if the product dries up quickly. You can also encounter weak triggers, cheap quality plastic, or clogged up tubes. All together this can mean that the spray pattern is irregular, the adjustable head stops functioning, the trigger bends or breaks, the nozzle is clogged, the tube is clogged or there can be an airbubble in the system.
Tips to prolong the lifespan
When using a sprayhead, some tricks and tips can help to prolong the lifespan of the sprayer.
When using chemicals, sealants
With certain chemicals, such as traffic film remover, it will make a big difference if you rinse out the sprayhead first. Do this by unscrewing the sprayhead, emptying it into the bottle and then put the straw-like tube in a glass of luke-warm water. Spray it through a few times, and then put the sprayhead away.
When the tube is too long
Sometimes the tube sits to flat to the inside of the bottle, making it difficult for liquid to pass into the tube. You can fix this by cutting a V shape into the tip of the tube. Do this by taking the sprayhead from the bottle, and using a pair of scissors to cut 2 sloped cuts into the end of the tube. These will form a V shape. Even if the tube is not pressed up against the inside of the bottle, it will still have a large enough opening to allow for liquid to pass through.
Don’t try to force the trigger. They are often not that strong. Trying to squeeze it in a steady manner will often result in a better spray pattern and less wear and tear on the trigger.
Clean them when not in use
If you know that you are not going to use the sprayheads for a while (a few weeks) it is always a good idea to rinse them with some luke-warm water and a little bit of soap. Dry them off and put them away. Don’t forget to put a cap on top of the open bottle. This way the left-behind product won’t cake on as easily and your sprayheads won’t get clogged as easily.
Use special chemical sprayers for the harsh chemicals
Their are specially developed chemical sprayers, these are made of a different material with no metal parts in them and sometimes even special sealing that won’t get affected by the harsh chemicals. Use these on the harsh chemicals you are using. They are a bit more expensive, but they’ll last you longer in return. The regular sprayheads can be used for average products that aren’t are reactive.
Using industrial sprayers
Some companies need sprayheads very regular, like cleaning companies. It might be interesting to see what they use. A very common industrial sprayer in most industries is the Canyon CHS 3A or CHS 5A and the Birchmeier Foxy or Foxy Plus. The industrial developed sprayers will withstand abuse better, cope with chemicals better and are adjustable.
- Waxstock is the largest car care event in Europe, which is currently held in the Ricoh Arena in Coventry, England. The event started in 2011 and has been growing every year. The name is a reference to the legendary “Woodstock” but altered to fit the car care industry....
- Krauss Tools is a German manufacturer of several detailing and bodyshop related tools and machines. The company creates, sells and develops several different product under their own label and for other manufacturers....
- There are a multitude of types of product available for cleaning glass. some or all of these may be required depending on just how much residue, dirt or traffic film has built up on the surface of the glass. Glass cleaning is part of regular maintenance....
- BlackWow is a manufacturer of detailing products that originates from California, USA. The company started out originally as a detailer and started to formulate their own products. The name refers to the effect it has on faded trims and plastics. BlackWow is part of Detailing Innovations Inc....
- A glass polish is a specially designed product that can polish glass. Normal polish isn't hard enough to have an effect on glass, but glass polish solves this problem. ...
- Definitive Wax is a manufacturer of car care supplies from Norfolk, UK. The brand is known for their various wax creation. Definitive Wax is known for aiming at the more exclusive and bespoke side of detailing products....
- Dr Leather is a manufacturer of specializes leather care products. The company focuses strongly on leather, its care and maintenance. Their products can be used on car interiors but are also suited for other leather surfaces....
- Smart Polish Pro is an English manufacturer of detailing products with a strong aim on environmental-friendly products that do not require the use of water. The company is fairly young, but has been growing in popularity in only a few years....