A traffic film remover is a product that is specifically designed to remove “traffic film”. This is a very fine layer of dust, grime and even oils that cover your car and are notoriously difficult to wash off. A traffic film remover can be wax-safe, but many ar not. This is not a product for the weekly wash, but more to be used once every couple of months. “Traffic film remover” is often shortened to .
What is Traffic film
Traffic film is a very small layer that accumulates on the surface of a vehicle over time. This layer consists out of dirt, dust, grime, oils, tar, rubber and even iron oxide. Some of these particles are fairly easy to wash off and can be removed during the weekly wash. Other particles are very difficult to remove and require a very strong product to have effect. The Traffic Film Remover is a product that is specifically designed to do just that.
Basic ingredients for a traffic film removers are often solvents. Certain acids can be added to improve cleaning power, a popular one is citric acid. These ingredients all combine into a product that is fairly harsh, but effective.
What types of traffic film remover
There are many different products on the market, although they all differ slightly from each other, you can categorize them in 2 different ways.
These are often considered wax safe, but don’t have to be. If they contain citric acid (enough to clean, but not enough to lower the pH) they can still have a negative effect on the layer of wax.
These often have a negative effect on most protective products. If a manufacturer has spent a lot of time in fine tuning the ingredients, it is possible to have very little effect, however this costs a lot of time and money and might not be worth the investment.
Although most protective products would be negatively affected by this, ceramic coatings aren’t affected at all. Which makes this a good chemical deep-cleaning product on ceramic coatings.
A traffic film remover that removes a lot of dirt, but doesn’t have any effect on a layer of wax.
- Non wax-safe
A traffic film remover that removes everything, including wax. Will often have a negative effect on several types of protective products.
Although traffic film removers are nothing new, they have some myths around them.
- They are not enough for complete decontamination
- They usually have little to no effect on iron oxide (fallout)
- They do not all have a negative effect on wax, but the ones that don’t, often have less cleaning power than the ones that do
- Most traffic film removers are based on solvents, and not cleaning agents such as surfactants and emulsifiers
- Traffic film removers are often very harsh, so protect your skin and eyes, and rinse off thoroughly
- Traffic film removers are not designed to be used as a shampoo or a weekly wash
- A traffic film is the term used to describe the fine layer of contaminants that cover a vehicle that has been used. The very film layer of contaminants lie on top of the car as a grey-ish film. Washing alone might not always be enough to fully remove this film....
- There are several ways of drying your car. Drying the car with a microfiber towel is one of them. It is very common one for detailers, because microfiber towels are easy to maintain and re-use, and they minimize the risk of swirls....
- Using a glass cleaner properly is the part that can make a big difference. A budget product used correctly can give better results than a quality product used badly. Getting streak-free and smear-free result can be achieved much easier when using the right technique....
- The one bucket method is the most used method of washing a car, but is also the least recommended way of washing the car. In this method the user only uses 1 bucket, which doesn't allow for much rinsing of the sponge/washmitt....
- Removing snow from your vehicle might be necessary before you can safely drive off. Leaving lots of snow on your vehicle can be illegal and result in a fine and/or unsafe situations. Removing the snow safely and properly makes it safer for you and your surrounding, and will prevent surface imperfections that need to be polished out....
- If you are starting up a business, it is important to market your business, otherwise people will not know you exist. But how do you do this? How do you make them aware of your presence and service, and then make them come to you? It is something that is difficult for any business. This is why there is big money in marketing. However, there are some reasonably simple steps you can take to get things started....