A traffic film remover is a product that is specifically designed to remove “traffic film”. This is a very fine layer of dust, grime and even oils that cover your car and are notoriously difficult to wash off. A traffic film remover can be wax-safe, but many ar not. This is not a product for the weekly wash, but more to be used once every couple of months. “Traffic film remover” is often shortened to .
What is Traffic film
Traffic film is a very small layer that accumulates on the surface of a vehicle over time. This layer consists out of dirt, dust, grime, oils, tar, rubber and even iron oxide. Some of these particles are fairly easy to wash off and can be removed during the weekly wash. Other particles are very difficult to remove and require a very strong product to have effect. The Traffic Film Remover is a product that is specifically designed to do just that.
Basic ingredients for a traffic film removers are often solvents. Certain acids can be added to improve cleaning power, a popular one is citric acid. These ingredients all combine into a product that is fairly harsh, but effective.
What types of traffic film remover
There are many different products on the market, although they all differ slightly from each other, you can categorize them in 2 different ways.
These are often considered wax safe, but don’t have to be. If they contain citric acid (enough to clean, but not enough to lower the pH) they can still have a negative effect on the layer of wax.
These often have a negative effect on most protective products. If a manufacturer has spent a lot of time in fine tuning the ingredients, it is possible to have very little effect, however this costs a lot of time and money and might not be worth the investment.
Although most protective products would be negatively affected by this, ceramic coatings aren’t affected at all. Which makes this a good chemical deep-cleaning product on ceramic coatings.
A traffic film remover that removes a lot of dirt, but doesn’t have any effect on a layer of wax.
- Non wax-safe
A traffic film remover that removes everything, including wax. Will often have a negative effect on several types of protective products.
Although traffic film removers are nothing new, they have some myths around them.
- They are not enough for complete decontamination
- They usually have little to no effect on iron oxide (fallout)
- They do not all have a negative effect on wax, but the ones that don’t, often have less cleaning power than the ones that do
- Most traffic film removers are based on solvents, and not cleaning agents such as surfactants and emulsifiers
- Traffic film removers are often very harsh, so protect your skin and eyes, and rinse off thoroughly
- Traffic film removers are not designed to be used as a shampoo or a weekly wash
- Although carwashes are very popular, they are not the place where detailers are found. There is a reason why detailers don't like a carwash. The art called detailing/valeting is very different to the service that is offered by a carwash....
- A steamer is a device that uses the steam from heated water (under pressure) to pump through a hose. When it leaves the hose, it can be used to clean certain surfaces with. The advantage of using steam is the relative high temperature that can help to loosen up dirt and certain chemicals....
- Opti-Coat is an American developer of ceramic coatings located in Memphis. The company creates different types of coatings for the automotive detailing industry. The company was established by David Ghodoussi....
- Using a pressure washer to clean your car isn't difficult, but it helps to keep certain practices in mind to prevent any problem. A pressure washer isn't always mandatory, but it could help to speeds up the process....
- In the world of detailing, their are several special cleaning products. Among them is the tar remover. This is a special cleaning product to remove tar and often also glue residue. Tar can come from roads and sometimes at industrial places, it is used in asphalt roads and can be used at construction sites for roofing and some plumbing jobs. It doesn't cause damage, but shows up as ugly black spots which are notoriously difficult to remove....
- Mitchell and King is an United Kingdom based manufacturer of car wax and detailing supplies. They uphold the mentality that car care products should treat the car with respect and care....