Using a pressure washer to clean your car isn’t difficult, but it helps to keep certain practices in mind to prevent any problem. A pressure washer isn’t always mandatory, but it could help to speeds up the process.
What is a pressure washer
A pressure washer is a device that takes in water in one end, and then pushes it out the other end with a lot of force. The water is then forced through a relatively small tube, causes it to speed up. When it exits the tube (lance) it has a lot of speed which helps to increase the energy of the impact with the surface.
In real life terms, this means that water goes in one end, and come out really hard at the other end.
Because the water comes out forced from the other end, some people believe it uses more water that way. This is not the case. The amount of water is not more, the tube the water has to be forced through is smaller. The same amount of water going through a smaller tube needs to speed up to facilitate the overall pressure that is pushing it. This means that a pressure washer can use the same amount of water (sometimes even less) then a normal garden hose, but make the stream of water much more efficient. Less usage, more effect.
Things to keep in mind when cleaning a vehicle
- Keep your distance, you don’t need to keep the lance directly at the surface you are working on. Keep your distance
- Coming in close to clean of grease and dirt might also spread it out more
- Aim the blast of water from up to down
- The best way to use snowfoam is via a pressure washer
- Try not to spray directly into small crevices, you might damage something or get electrics wet
- Try to spray under an angle, so the water is blasted away
Things that can go wrong
There are a few things that can go wrong when using a pressure washer incorrectly. Some of these are:
- Water can get into areas you don’t want it to go
- The speed of the water can damage surfaces, so keep your distance
- The lance is made out of hard plastic or metal, which can damage the surface when you hit it
- The blast of water can move things, which is not always wanted
- Don’t try to clean stone chips and or damaged areas with a pressure washer, you might damage the area more then it already is
- The blast of water can be redirected by an angled surface, directly at yourself or an unwanted direction
- Electrics and interiors don’t like water, try to keep away from them
- Tetrosyl is the main company behind brands such as T-cut, Bluecol, Double-T and several others. The company is located in Lancashire, England and offers their products through an extensive network of international distributors and resellers....
- The Supernatural Machine Stick came into being for two reasons. The first was that we are always looking at cosmetics packaging because waxes are quite similar in nature, and if we can find a better way to package something we will....
- Poorboys World is a manufacturer of detailing products that range from polish to shampoos and cleaners. The product are being sold worldwide and focusses on the quality of their products, nothing else. Not even their labels....
- The removal of wax is a necessary step before a protective product is (re-)applied or before polishing. Wax is a hard type of protective product that is made from a large portion of natural ingredients. It has a limited lifespan and needs to be removed after a certain period....
- It is often asked on detailing fora and social media: "what is the best polish". Off course there is a difference between certain products and brands, but it is important to know what you are asking. In this guide I will try to explain what the problem is with this question unless it is asked more in-depth....
- When glass has a temperature that is lower then, or equal to 0 degrees Celsius, any water coming in contact with it, will freeze and turn into ice. This is often seen in cold climates or seasons and might require the ice to be removed....