Using a pressure washer to clean your car isn’t difficult, but it helps to keep certain practices in mind to prevent any problem. A pressure washer isn’t always mandatory, but it could help to speeds up the process.
What is a pressure washer
A pressure washer is a device that takes in water in one end, and then pushes it out the other end with a lot of force. The water is then forced through a relatively small tube, causes it to speed up. When it exits the tube (lance) it has a lot of speed which helps to increase the energy of the impact with the surface.
In real life terms, this means that water goes in one end, and come out really hard at the other end.
Because the water comes out forced from the other end, some people believe it uses more water that way. This is not the case. The amount of water is not more, the tube the water has to be forced through is smaller. The same amount of water going through a smaller tube needs to speed up to facilitate the overall pressure that is pushing it. This means that a pressure washer can use the same amount of water (sometimes even less) then a normal garden hose, but make the stream of water much more efficient. Less usage, more effect.
Things to keep in mind when cleaning a vehicle
- Keep your distance, you don’t need to keep the lance directly at the surface you are working on. Keep your distance
- Coming in close to clean of grease and dirt might also spread it out more
- Aim the blast of water from up to down
- The best way to use snowfoam is via a pressure washer
- Try not to spray directly into small crevices, you might damage something or get electrics wet
- Try to spray under an angle, so the water is blasted away
Things that can go wrong
There are a few things that can go wrong when using a pressure washer incorrectly. Some of these are:
- Water can get into areas you don’t want it to go
- The speed of the water can damage surfaces, so keep your distance
- The lance is made out of hard plastic or metal, which can damage the surface when you hit it
- The blast of water can move things, which is not always wanted
- Don’t try to clean stone chips and or damaged areas with a pressure washer, you might damage the area more then it already is
- The blast of water can be redirected by an angled surface, directly at yourself or an unwanted direction
- Electrics and interiors don’t like water, try to keep away from them
- The two-bucket method is possibly to most known and most used technique used by detailers and professionals, to wash a vehicle. It is one of 3 different types of washing a vehicle that are widely considered to be safe and correct ways of cleaning a surface....
- BlackWow is a manufacturer of detailing products that originates from California, USA. The company started out originally as a detailer and started to formulate their own products. The name refers to the effect it has on faded trims and plastics. BlackWow is part of Detailing Innovations Inc....
- Griot's Garage is an American family-run manufacturer of detailing products that has been active since 1990. The company has a few different brands under its name and offers detailing product, courses and demonstrations....
- Carpet stripes are lines in the carpet that give the impression that some parts of the carpet ar darker/lighter then the area next to it. This can be achieved by bending the fibers one way or the other. The only purpose of this is that it can look nice to some people. Customers might be impressed and like the effect....
- Surface tension is the energy a liquid contains that prevents its surface to be deformed by an object with a higher surface tension/energy. The surface energy of water has as a side effect that it can form beads on surfaces with a very low surface energy or high repulsive force....
- Leather is a natural product and needs to be cleaned just like any other type of surface, to maintain its look and its flexibility safely, it needs to be cleaned properly and safely....