Silicones are a group of polymers that are man-made and do not occur in nature. Within the world of detailing, polydimethylsiloxane is a very popular one. Silicones, just like polymers, have certain properties that can help a product perform better in a certain way. When a polymer contain any form of siloxane, it is a silicone.
Polymers and silicones
Although polymers are often forgotten about, silicones have a slight reputation of being unwanted and need to be avoided. Truth is that polymers, just like silicones have their place in todays world. Polymers are ingredients that are used to give a product certain properties, or enhance existing properties. This will help the product to perform better. Silicones do the same thing, except they are man-made, whereas polymers are naturally occurring.
Examples of effect
Like polymers, silicones can have many tasks. Just a few of them are:
- Improve solubility
- Enhance reflective index (gloss)
- Improve surface wetting
- Make water mix better with oils
- Make 2 other types of ingredients mix more stable
- Increase the surface tension of the product
- Increase sheeting
- Help the product to bond better with the surface
- Increase chemical durability
It is no surprise then that silicones are faily commonly being used to improve a product, although this often is combined with polymers.
Bodyshops and silicones
The word silicones will make many bodyshop-owner go crazy. The respond you will get will mostly say that you need to avoid them, and that they are bad in any way or form. Truth is that many products these days contain polymers and/or silicones. Even many of the products that are used daily in a bodyshop. Some types of paint even contain silicones to help them perform in a certain way. Most bodyshop owners however, fear about the Hydrophobic properties that a silicone can give. Since these particles are very stubborn, they aren’t easily removed. Sanding a surface with silicones creates the risk of getting those particles airborn. Once they are in the air, they can land on a car that is being prepped to be painted. Those tiny particles can then cause paint-imperfections, which could cause the bodyshop to have to redo the entire paint job.
The downside is that this fear towards silicones is not aimed at 1 single type of silicones, but at silicones in general.
Products and the adding of silicones
The use of silicones has such an influence on several products, that it can actually change its name. A wax with added silicones and/or polymers, to improve performance, is referred to as a hybrid. A product that contain silicons is considered synthetic, even though the use of polymers often still makes it natural. The terminology is sound, but the added sense if difference gives the false impression that there is a very present difference between these two.
- It is often asked on detailing fora and social media: "what is the best lights". Off course there is a difference between certain products and brands, but it is important to know what you are asking. In this guide I will try to explain what the problem is with this question unless it is asked more in-depth....
- The graphene coating is fairly new on the market for the detailing industry, instead of focussing on ingredients like SiO2 or other polymers, the main ingredient is graphene. Graphene is a form of carbon, which is known to be very durable and strong under the right circumstances....
- Soft99 is a Japanese manufacturer of cleaning products. Although they are most famous for their Soft99 Fusso Hybrid Wax, they also make several other products. Soft99 is the only brand that is based in Japan and has such a large customer base in Europe....
- Wolf's Chemicals is an Hungarian company that manufacturers and sells detailing products. The range varies from wax and sealants to cleaners, shampoo and dressing. Although the headquarters is based in Hungary, Wolf's Chemicals is being sold in several countries in Europe and Asia....
- CNS Tech Inc is a Korean company that manufacturers, developes and researches different types of coating products. CNS Tech INC creates a few different ranges, with the main difference being the professional or personal user. Coating Farm is the personal range. Other ranges are G1, Mega Ceramic, Megashield and Aqua Coat....
- Sheeting is a particular form of water behavior. Thanks to the interaction between a liquid and a surface, sheeting can occur. This means that the water glides off the surface like a big "sheet" of water. There are a few different things at play that cause sheeting, but it is a popular effect that protective layer can give....