Silicones are a group of polymers that are man-made and do not occur in nature. Within the world of detailing, polydimethylsiloxane is a very popular one. Silicones, just like polymers, have certain properties that can help a product perform better in a certain way. When a polymer contain any form of siloxane, it is a silicone.
Polymers and silicones
Although polymers are often forgotten about, silicones have a slight reputation of being unwanted and need to be avoided. Truth is that polymers, just like silicones have their place in todays world. Polymers are ingredients that are used to give a product certain properties, or enhance existing properties. This will help the product to perform better. Silicones do the same thing, except they are man-made, whereas polymers are naturally occurring.
Examples of effect
Like polymers, silicones can have many tasks. Just a few of them are:
- Improve solubility
- Enhance reflective index (gloss)
- Improve surface wetting
- Make water mix better with oils
- Make 2 other types of ingredients mix more stable
- Increase the surface tension of the product
- Increase sheeting
- Help the product to bond better with the surface
- Increase chemical durability
It is no surprise then that silicones are faily commonly being used to improve a product, although this often is combined with polymers.
Bodyshops and silicones
The word silicones will make many bodyshop-owner go crazy. The respond you will get will mostly say that you need to avoid them, and that they are bad in any way or form. Truth is that many products these days contain polymers and/or silicones. Even many of the products that are used daily in a bodyshop. Some types of paint even contain silicones to help them perform in a certain way. Most bodyshop owners however, fear about the properties that a silicone can give. Since these particles are very stubborn, they aren’t easily removed. Sanding a surface with silicones creates the risk of getting those particles airborn. Once they are in the air, they can land on a car that is being prepped to be painted. Those tiny particles can then cause paint-imperfections, which could cause the bodyshop to have to redo the entire paint job.
The downside is that this fear towards silicones is not aimed at 1 single type of silicones, but at silicones in general.
Products and the adding of silicones
The use of silicones has such an influence on several products, that it can actually change its name. A wax with added silicones and/or polymers, to improve performance, is referred to as a hybrid. A product that contain silicons is considered synthetic, even though the use of polymers often still makes it natural. The terminology is sound, but the added sense if difference gives the false impression that there is a very present difference between these two.
- It is often asked on detailing fora and social media: "what is the best sprayhead". Off course there is a difference between certain products and brands, but it is important to know what you are asking. In this guide I will try to explain what the problem is with this question unless it is asked more in-depth....
- It is often asked on detailing fora and social media: "what is the best microfibre towel". Off course there is a difference between certain products and brands, but it is important to know what you are asking. In this guide I will try to explain what the problem is with this question unless it is asked more in-depth....
- The use of wax as a protective product is very popular and has been one of the most used ways of protecting paintwork since the invention of wax many years ago. The application of wax isn't very difficult, which makes it so popular. But it helps to know how to get the most out of your wax to get the best results....
- Many detailers will post up pictures of their vehicle showing great beads, and then claim their layer of protection is very old. However, that doesn't add up. When a wax is a few months old, it doesn't bead very good anymore, and that is normal. So how did this person manage to use a normal wax and get such great beads after all that time? Because he used a!...
- Hubikote is a manufacturer of detailing products and is located in the United Kingdom. The brand aims at products that make people enthusiastic, not what other are doing....
- Plexiglass/perspex is a very soft type of plastic (Polymethyl methacrylate) that is very rarely used. Just like glass or paintwork, it can suffer from surface imperfections. Swirls and scratches can be very visible because it is fully transparent....