In the world of detailing, there are several special cleaning products. Among them is the tar remover. This is a special cleaning product to remove tar and often also glue residue. Tar can come from roads and sometimes at industrial places, it is used in asphalt roads and can be used at construction sites for roofing and some plumbing jobs. It doesn’t cause damage, but shows up as ugly black spots which are notoriously difficult to remove.
What does tar look like
Tar is black, relatively soft and can have a bit of a shiny surface. These dots can become a bit softer when they are warm, but become pretty hard below room temperature. They are very difficult to remove and will wear your claybar very quickly. Specific tar-removers often make it run, it looks like black stripes running down from the black spot.
These tar-remover are almost always based on solvents, which means that you need to be carefull with them. They will most probably have a very negative effect on the layer of protection.
How to apply a tar remover
- Wash the area to remove most of the normal dirt and grime
- Spray the area with tar remover (in case it’s a paste, then rub the paste on the black dots)
- Leave it to work for a few minutes
- Rinse off the tar remover
- Repeat the stept until all black dots are gone
- Wash the area again to remove all of the solvents. You might need an for this
- Rinse thoroughly
Since most tar removers are based on solvents, they don’t only remove tar. When you have removed a badge, sticker or have glue left over, you might want to remove the glue residue. Their are special glue removers on the market (based on acetone), but a tar remover will also work. In this case the application is the same. Just spray on, rinse off and if needed use the side of a creditcard to gently rub off the residue.
Just remember to wash the area thoroughly because a tar remover might be a bit tricky to remove without any residue.
- Carbon Collective is an English manufacturer of different types of detailing products. The company is located in Daventry, England and has a distributor in America. They company has a selection of approved detailers and retailers in Europe and a distributor in America....
- Soft99 is a Japanese manufacturer of cleaning products. Although they are most famous for their Soft99 Fusso Hybrid Wax, they also make several other products. Soft99 is the only brand that is based in Japan and has such a large customer base in Europe....
- Delamination occurs when 2 layers seperate from each other. This can happen between many different types of material. Delamination can occur between 2 layers of paint, but also between a wax and a coating. Even when windowtint seperates from the window, it can be referred to as delamination....
- Using a glass cleaner properly is the part that can make a big difference. A budget product used correctly can give better results than a quality product used badly. Getting streak-free and smear-free result can be achieved much easier when using the right technique....
- A pad washer (or pad washer) is a tool that helps to clean polishing pads without removing them from the backing plate. The tool rinses out the pad so it can be used again while detailing. This is often quicker than changing the pad and eliminates the need for a second set of polishing pads....
- 3M is one of the largest manufacturers in the world in many different fields. 3M is known to be the owner of brands such as Scotchgard, Mguiars and many more. The company also makes many different products under their own brand....