In the world of detailing, there are several special cleaning products. Among them is the tar remover. This is a special cleaning product to remove tar and often also glue residue. Tar can come from roads and sometimes at industrial places, it is used in asphalt roads and can be used at construction sites for roofing and some plumbing jobs. It doesn’t cause damage, but shows up as ugly black spots which are notoriously difficult to remove.
What does tar look like
Tar is black, relatively soft and can have a bit of a shiny surface. These dots can become a bit softer when they are warm, but become pretty hard below room temperature. They are very difficult to remove and will wear your claybar very quickly. Specific tar-removers often make it run, it looks like black stripes running down from the black spot.
These tar-remover are almost always based on solvents, which means that you need to be carefull with them. They will most probably have a very negative effect on the layer of protection.
How to apply a tar remover
- Wash the area to remove most of the normal dirt and grime
- Spray the area with tar remover (in case it’s a paste, then rub the paste on the black dots)
- Leave it to work for a few minutes
- Rinse off the tar remover
- Repeat the stept until all black dots are gone
- Wash the area again to remove all of the solvents. You might need an APC for this
- Rinse thoroughly
Since most tar removers are based on solvents, they don’t only remove tar. When you have removed a badge, sticker or have glue left over, you might want to remove the glue residue. Their are special glue removers on the market (based on acetone), but a tar remover will also work. In this case the application is the same. Just spray on, rinse off and if needed use the side of a creditcard to gently rub off the residue.
Just remember to wash the area thoroughly because a tar remover might be a bit tricky to remove without any residue.
- Brake cleaner is a specific product that is designed to clean off brake pads and brake discs. The solution is sprayed on the object and then wiped off. It is particularly good at removing stubborn dirt, cleaning of grease and oils and removing brake dust....
- The Garry Dean Wash Method is a specific way of washing that helps to save money, use less water and aims to minimize the risk of creating swirls or marring. The technique is very suitable for areas with water restrictions, limited resources and can (with a bit of practice) save time....
- Car shampoo is a specially formulated cleaning liquid that is used in combination with a washmitt to clean a car in a safe way. It is recommended to wash a car with a proper car shampoo and the 2 (or 3) bucket method....
- Detailing brushes come in all types and sizes and can be used for several different tasks. In general, these are aimed at scrubbing but can sometimes also be used to reach an area that is difficult to reach with a microfiber towel....
- As with most products, it helps to know how to polish metal. In many cases you can only give a general guide, because even though some products can fall in the same catgory, they might still need a slightly different way of applying. Metal polish is one of those products....
- Detailing a motorbike isn't all that different to any other surface. The main different will be the technique and the tools used because of working in small spaces. Motorbike cleaning requires more effort then most other vehicles, due to small crevices and tight corners....