is the term used when a surface “pushes away water”. The word means as much as “fear/anxiety for water”. Although there is no actual fear or anxiety, it refers to the effect that looks as if it is pushing away the water. (there is no actual repulsive force involved)
Why the need for
A side effect of a protective product is often that it has a very low surface energy, lower then water molecules. This creates beading and sheeting. This effect is called “wetting”. Wetting refers to the angle of contact between water and the surface underneath. The greater this angle, the higher the wetting and the higher the bead.
A surface has the benefit that water has great trouble “sticking” to the surface, which allows for the water to run off the surface when energy (like motion) is applied.
For example: a windshield will cause raindrops to slide of the glass when the wind blows against them. In this scenario there is a case of high contact angle, combined with a low roll-off angle. These do not always have to co-exist. In simple terms this means that beading and sheeting don’t always have to appear together.
The benefit of a surface
When water moves from a surface, it is much more likely to carry dirt and other contaminants away from the surface. Since the beads runs off, it can’t dry up and leave its trace elements and mineral on the surface. Simply put, it will help in keeping the surface more clean. It is also less likely that dirt can stick to the surface, which means it is more easy to clean and there is much less need for claying in the future. Drying after washing the vehicle, will also be more easy.
A detailed explanation
Wikipedia says the following:
The contact angle gives the amount of wetting. The higher the contact angle, the less wetting is happening. This basically means that the bead will be more round. In many cases this helps the beads to have better sheeting, but does not always have to be the case.
The roll-off angle is the angle at which a surface needs to be lift to make the droplet of liquid shift. For example, if the roll-off angle is 10 degrees, it means the surface needs to be held at an angle of 10 degrees to make the droplet of water move. This is often called “sheeting” in the world of detailing. Sheeting and beading don’t have to go hand in hand. It is possible to have a very high roll-off angle (which is not good) with a very high contact angle (which is good).
- Many detailers will post up pictures of their vehicle showing great beads, and then claim their layer of protection is very old. However, that doesn't add up. When a wax is a few months old, it doesn't bead very good anymore, and that is normal. So how did this person manage to use a normal wax and get such great beads after all that time? Because he used a!...
- A primed pad will outperform a non-primed pad in cutting. So a primed pad should give a great polishing result on your car, but prime your pad for the goal you’re looking for....
- Surfactants are additives for certain products to lower the surface tension of a liquid. This helps the liquid to mix and combine with another substance, making it easier to combine a mixture of several (types of) substances. This acts as an emulsion, wetting-agent, detergent, foaming agent and/or dispersants. Surfactants combineand properties, which allows them to interact with both types....
- Aluminium brighteners are essentially forms of hydrofluoric acid, which also sold under the type "tire cleaner". A very similar product is used for etching glass and rust removers. The pure product is extremely toxic and dangerous. Aluminium brightener is another name for "wheel cleaner" or "metal cleaner"....
- TEVO Creations is a raw material supplier/distributor, private label company and also manufacturer/developer of nano-technology based products for the consumer, construction and automotive market. It is one of a few companies like this that originates from Malaysia....
- A sealant is protective product that is made up out of polymers. If they contain wax, they are considered hybrids. Sealants come in several different types and are the step between natural wax and completely synthetic protective products....