Steam cleaning is the act of using evaporated and heated water to clean a surface. Steam has to benefit that it interacts with oils and grease without the need for an emusifier. This means it can clean dirt and grease without soap. Which leaves less residue. Steam cleaning can be used on the outside of a car as well as on the interior.
Benefits from steam cleaning
Steam cleaning has several benefits, compared to mainstream cleaning.
- No soap residue
- Since the steam will evaporated, less liquid to dry or wipe off
- Oil and grease interaction without the need for an emulsifier
- Pressure can be used to get into small corners
Cleaning with steam also has several disadvantages over mainstream cleaning.
- Without soap, there is also less or none lubrication will (re)moving the contamination
- Steam cleaning requires a machine that uses electricity
- The nozzle can be very hot
- Since the steam will evaporate, there is no carrier for the dirt and grease
- Since there is no rinsing needed, the water won’t remove any dust in small corners that rinsing would just flush away
Why use steam cleaning
Just like many other cleaning techniques, steam cleaning can be usefull for certain jobs. Knowing when to use what technique can make steam cleaning safe, but using it in the wrong situation could create more surface imperfections than you want to. Steam cleaning shouldn’t be done on a very dirty surface, because it offers no lubrication or carrier. So there is nothing to prevent it from scratching and rubbing the surface.
Steam cleaning can be done on a fairly clean surface, or to wipe off polish residue before applying wax. It would be unsuitable to use before applying a sealant, since the steam won’t the same effect as a panel wipe.
Steam cleaning can also be used on interior, the steam will help to liquify grease and oils in fabric, making it easier to wipe them off. Since the steam has very hot, it will also have a detremental effect on fungus and other bacteria. It won’t kill all, but it will help to sanitize the fabric, more then most soaps or cleaning agents will.
- When you ask a detailer for a starter pack, they will often begin with 2 buckets and a proper washmitt. But why? What's so special about a washmitt that you need to have it? A washmitt is essential in taken care of your vehicle in a way that will minimize the amount of surface imperfections you create....
- The snowfoam lance is an attachment for a pressure washer that pushes water and a soap micture through a nozzle with a very fine filter in it. This makes the soap mixture foam as soon as it leaves the nozzle. The foam is sprayed over the surface you want to clean. In turn, the foam will soak the dirt, making it easier to rinse off the dirt before washing....
- Finish Kare is a detailing products manufacturer that started out creating mold release products. The step into car wax for protective purposes was a small change that was easy enough to make. The brand now offers a small range of cleaning, polishing, protecting and perfecting surfaces for both car and marine detailing....
- Alloy wheels are specific wheels have been made out of aluminium or magnesium, with certain other elements added. They can come in various shapes and sizes and even the finish can differ greatly between models or brands....
- Waxedshine is an United Kingdom based manufacturer of detailing products. The brand has a wide variety of products on offer via their own webshop. The English company is run by father and son....
- Fireball is a relatively young brand of detailing products microfiber towels from South Korea. The brand mainly focuses its products around polymer technology, sometimes combined with wax. The vast majority of their products are also in liquid form....