Finishing polish is used for its traditional style compounds, they rely upon a small quantity of abrasive grains and upon petroleum-based solvents. These solvents keep paint residue separated from your buffing liquid. The abrasive grains have a longer buffing cycle and because of the low cutting speed, the accumulation of paint residue is kept to a minimum.
- It can remain fluid throughout the polishing cycle,
- it doesn’t dust away,
- it doesn’t stick to the paint surface at problematic areas and
- it allows the microfiber strings to stay in contact with the paint surface.
Do not use to much product, because it can turn into a disadvantage;
- It can create clumps
- The formation of dust can increase, because the abrasive grains are not in contact with the buffing pad
- Paint residue can form a barrier on top of the strings of the pad.
Finishing polish for defect removal can best be used in combination with a microfiber pad. Other pads, like foam pads, can be used but the microfiber pad has the most advantages and gives the best results in the Kevin Brown Method.
A microfiber pad is being used because the vertically mounted strings are best in contouring into the intricacies of etch marks. Besides that a microfiber pad has a very large usable surface area, therefore it’s able to cut so rapidly. Foam pads could be used, but the cutting speed will be a lot slower. However, a foam pad can be capable of receiving good results, if it could prevent the grains and paint residue from sticking to the paint and resist a build-up of paint residue on the face of the pad. The pad should be regularly cleaned during the polishing session to avoid the negative effects of paint residue. The microfiber pad is best used in combination with a random orbital machine.
Random orbital machine
Basically you can use any type of random orbital machine, but there are some specifications that will help to get an even better result than with an ordinary machine. The specifications for a random orbital machine are;
- A machine which a large stroke
- High wattage motor power
- A machine that has enough rotating mass.
When your machine has a smaller stroke, little rotating mass or less motor power, you can still use your own machine without buying a new one. But there are some things to consider:
- The frequency to clean your pad should be increased
- The area per cycle should be decreased
- The buffing pad diameter should be decreased
In relation to the Kevin Brown Method
What makes the Kevin Brown Method different, is that a finishing polish is used for the polishing session instead of a heavy-cut compound. First of all, because a finishing polish is good in separating your buffing liquid from the paint residue. In this way your buffing liquid stays in contact with the surface and paint residue can’t reach the full surface of the pad. Which means that paint residue can’t negatively influence your polishing performance. Second, a finishing polish is better because it remains fluid and it allows the strings of the pad to stay in contact with the surface and has a longer buffing cycle. So even if the cut is less than with a heavy-cut compound after a first round, a finishing polish will still offer many benefits and can accomplish the same results as with a heavy-cut compound!
- There are many different steps you can take while detailing. A maintenance wash has different steps than a deep-clean wash or a 3 stage polish. In this guide I will give a very general idea on the order of those steps. More in-depth articles regarding every step will follow. This articles serves to give people a quick overview....
- Microfiber Madness is a manufacturer of microfiber products. They specialize in towels and cloths and focus on creating high standard products that are the best in their field....
- Wetsanding is the act of using a very abrasive product (such as sandpaper) combined with a lubricating liquid to sand away a certain amount of the surface. This needs to be done with care and should not be done by beginners....
- Keeping your pad clean is very important, because the paint residue on/in your pad can cause scouring onto the paint surface. If the pad has become clogged, we can’t get a perfect finish....
- Powdercoating is a paint technique. Instead of spraying the liquid paint on a surface, and let it cure. A powder is sprayed over a surface and baked the cure. Powdercoating is very popular for coating wheels with paint....
- Surface tension is the energy a liquid contains that prevents its surface to be deformed by an object with a higher surface tension/energy. The surface energy of water has as a side effect that it can form beads on surfaces with a very low surface energy or high repulsive force....