Finishing polish is used for its traditional style compounds, they rely upon a small quantity of abrasive grains and upon petroleum-based solvents. These solvents keep paint residue separated from your buffing liquid. The abrasive grains have a longer buffing cycle and because of the low cutting speed, the accumulation of paint residue is kept to a minimum.
- It can remain fluid throughout the polishing cycle,
- it doesn’t dust away,
- it doesn’t stick to the paint surface at problematic areas and
- it allows the microfiber strings to stay in contact with the paint surface.
Do not use to much product, because it can turn into a disadvantage;
- It can create clumps
- The formation of dust can increase, because the abrasive grains are not in contact with the buffing pad
- Paint residue can form a barrier on top of the strings of the pad.
Finishing polish for defect removal can best be used in combination with a microfiber pad. Other pads, like foam pads, can be used but the microfiber pad has the most advantages and gives the best results in the Kevin Brown Method.
A microfiber pad is being used because the vertically mounted strings are best in contouring into the intricacies of etch marks. Besides that a microfiber pad has a very large usable surface area, therefore it’s able to cut so rapidly. Foam pads could be used, but the cutting speed will be a lot slower. However, a foam pad can be capable of receiving good results, if it could prevent the grains and paint residue from sticking to the paint and resist a build-up of paint residue on the face of the pad. The pad should be regularly cleaned during the polishing session to avoid the negative effects of paint residue. The microfiber pad is best used in combination with a random orbital machine.
Random orbital machine
Basically you can use any type of random orbital machine, but there are some specifications that will help to get an even better result than with an ordinary machine. The specifications for a random orbital machine are;
- A machine which a large stroke
- High wattage motor power
- A machine that has enough rotating mass.
When your machine has a smaller stroke, little rotating mass or less motor power, you can still use your own machine without buying a new one. But there are some things to consider:
- The frequency to clean your pad should be increased
- The area per cycle should be decreased
- The buffing pad diameter should be decreased
In relation to the Kevin Brown Method
What makes the Kevin Brown Method different, is that a finishing polish is used for the polishing session instead of a heavy-cut compound. First of all, because a finishing polish is good in separating your buffing liquid from the paint residue. In this way your buffing liquid stays in contact with the surface and paint residue can’t reach the full surface of the pad. Which means that paint residue can’t negatively influence your polishing performance. Second, a finishing polish is better because it remains fluid and it allows the strings of the pad to stay in contact with the surface and has a longer buffing cycle. So even if the cut is less than with a heavy-cut compound after a first round, a finishing polish will still offer many benefits and can accomplish the same results as with a heavy-cut compound!
- Polish Angel is a German manufacturer and seller of detailing related products. The brand sells shampoo, polish, protective products, but also polish pads, gloves and MF towels. Polish Angel is being sold around the world, but it only has distribution places in and around Germany and America....
- Autoglym is an English manufacturer of detailing products. They have been active for a long time and have a very wide range of products. They even have a special line of products for the professional user....
- Paintwork can, in some cases, become oxidized. Making it turn matte and slightly fade color. If untreated, it can eventually cause the lacquer and/or paintwork to completely fail. It is most common on red cars, but it can happen with every color....
- Carrand is a California, America based manufacturer of consumer car cleaning supplies. The company is a subsidiary of Hopkins Manufacturing from Kansas, America....
- Waterless washing is a technique in which no water is used to clean the surface. The product for this technique has high lubricating properties, good cleaning agents and leaves little to no residue. It is not always as good as a regular wash, and is not suited for highly contaminated vehicles....
- When you are going to polish any surface, you are going to rub a product over the surface. While doing this you need a very controlled matter of particles to move over the surface to have any control over the result you'll achieve. Preparing the paintwork will help you to get as much control as possible....