Finishing polish is used for its traditional style compounds, they rely upon a small quantity of grains and upon petroleum-based solvents. These solvents keep paint residue separated from your buffing liquid. The grains have a longer buffing cycle and because of the low cutting speed, the accumulation of paint residue is kept to a minimum.
- It can remain fluid throughout the polishing cycle,
- it doesn’t dust away,
- it doesn’t stick to the paint surface at problematic areas and
- it allows the microfiber strings to stay in contact with the paint surface.
Do not use to much product, because it can turn into a disadvantage;
- It can create clumps
- The formation of dust can increase, because the grains are not in contact with the buffing pad
- Paint residue can form a barrier on top of the strings of the pad.
Finishing polish for defect removal can best be used in combination with a microfiber pad. Other pads, like foam pads, can be used but the microfiber pad has the most advantages and gives the best results in the Kevin Brown Method.
A microfiber pad is being used because the vertically mounted strings are best in contouring into the intricacies of etch marks. Besides that a microfiber pad has a very large usable surface area, therefore it’s able to cut so rapidly. Foam pads could be used, but the cutting speed will be a lot slower. However, a foam pad can be capable of receiving good results, if it could prevent the grains and paint residue from sticking to the paint and resist a build-up of paint residue on the face of the pad. The pad should be regularly cleaned during the polishing session to avoid the negative effects of paint residue. The microfiber pad is best used in combination with a random orbital machine.
Random orbital machine
Basically you can use any type of random orbital machine, but there are some specifications that will help to get an even better result than with an ordinary machine. The specifications for a random orbital machine are;
- A machine which a large stroke
- High wattage motor power
- A machine that has enough rotating mass.
When your machine has a smaller stroke, little rotating mass or less motor power, you can still use your own machine without buying a new one. But there are some things to consider:
- The frequency to clean your pad should be increased
- The area per cycle should be decreased
- The buffing pad diameter should be decreased
In relation to the Kevin Brown Method
What makes the Kevin Brown Method different, is that a finishing polish is used for the polishing session instead of a heavy-cut compound. First of all, because a finishing polish is good in separating your buffing liquid from the paint residue. In this way your buffing liquid stays in contact with the surface and paint residue can’t reach the full surface of the pad. Which means that paint residue can’t negatively influence your polishing performance. Second, a finishing polish is better because it remains fluid and it allows the strings of the pad to stay in contact with the surface and has a longer buffing cycle. So even if the cut is less than with a heavy-cut compound after a first round, a finishing polish will still offer many benefits and can accomplish the same results as with a heavy-cut compound!
- When you polish a surface, the level of imperfection defines how much work it will be to achieve a perfect finish. This can either be a 1 stage polish, a 2 stage polish or even a 3 stage polish. Different types of stages needed define slightly what pads and/or polish you are going to need, and might give an indication of the time-frame needed....
- Mothers Wax is a California, America based manufacturer of detailing products. They offer a wide variety of products that include shampoo, wax, sealants and tools. They have been busy in the world of detailing for several years....
- Polish Angel is a German manufacturer and seller of detailing related products. The brand sells shampoo, polish, protective products, but also polish pads, gloves andtowels. Polish Angel is being sold around the world, but it only has distribution places in and around Germany and America....
- Frogtape has made a name in the branch of painters by making it easier to create sharp lines between 2 colors by simply using masking tape. Frogtape is a brand by Shurtape Technologies, which also create Duck, Painter's Mate, T-Rex tape and ShurTape....
- Masking tape is tape designed to be applied to sensitive surfaces with the aim of masking off certain areas and easy and residue free removal. Masking tape comes in several sizes and can be varies colors. It helps to prevent polish from getting onto surfaces you don't want it to get at....
- Bird poo can be a big problem with paintwork and needs to be removed as soon as possible. Bird droppings have several aggressive chemicals in them that can severely damage paintwork. Not removing these can cause paint defects that might not be removable. In some cases a respray is needed to repair the surface....