Detailing isn’t without risks. You work with chemicals or fast moving machines. It is important to take you own safety into account and to be aware of health risks at work. Preparation is key to safety.
You might be working with electrical equipment which have their risks.
- Electricity is very dangerous, getting into contact with a it can lead to death. Proper insulated shoes will help to protect yourself
- Water and electricity don’t mix, keep these 2 apart as much as you can
- Check the leads of your machines regularly to prevent getting electrocuted
- Many products within the world of detailing contain certain chemicals, these can be dangerous to you
- pH neutral chemicals are often relatively safe, however, it is not a bad choice to wear gloves
- Acidic liquids are very dangerous, they can burn your skin, eyes and when inhaled can damage your lungs
- Alkaline liquids are very dangerous, they can burn your skin, eyes and when inhaled can damage your lungs
- Although polishes don’t often contain very harsh chemicals, it can be very painful if you get a drop in your eyes
- Chemicals that are designed to remove grease and fat, can also remove natural fat from your skin, drying it out and damaging it
- Some of these chemicals can evaporate, the fumes of these liquids can be bad for your health, knowing when you need to wear protection for inhaling might be a wise decision
- You are working with heavy object (cars, bikes, boats etc.) which will be jacked up for some jobs. Wear steel-toe shoes to protect your feet
- The object you are working on can have sharp edges, it is advised to wear gloves
- Since you are working with water, the floor around you can become very slippery. It might be wise to invest in a type of flooring that doesn’t get very slippery when wet
- The chemicals you are working with can be hazardous to your skin, lungs and eyes. These products can be knocked over, A stable platform can be a wise investment
- Since you are working with tools that have leads that you can trip over, be aware of your surroundings and try to keep the floor empty and organized
Visual and other risks to your health
- It is always safe to wear eye protection. Polish can fly from the pad or the surface towards your eye for example
- Seeing as you are working with machines, you can wear ear protection
- It is safest to take any jewelry off, you could get caught with it or even make scratches
- When wearing gloves because you are working with chemicals, remember that those chemicals can also get in contact with your eyes, clothes and other parts of skin. Protection might be needed to retain your health
- Always put your health above the work that needs to be done
- The primer coat is used between the material the panel is made from and the layers of paint that will follow. In some cases there can also be filler underneath to make sure the panel is perfectly flat and smooth before starting to paint....
- Everybody who has washed a car, has seen the remains of insects on the front of the car. These spots are difficult to remove and create a risk of making surface imperfections. Removing them safely is key to prevent long term damage to the surface....
- The removal of wax is a necessary step before a protective product is (re-)applied or before polishing. Wax is a hard type of protective product that is made from a large portion of natural ingredients. It has a limited lifespan and needs to be removed after a certain period....
- Ceramic Pro is the productline created by Nanoshine Ltd. Ceramic Pro consists out of pure ceramic type products, including a ceramic coating for automobile and marine.'...
- IGL Coatings was founded in 2014 in Malaysia, and offers coatings with the aim of combining eco-friendly properties with high-perfomance properties. The brand is available in many countries worldwide via a network of distributors....
- Bird poo can be a big problem with paintwork and needs to be removed as soon as possible. Bird droppings have several aggressive chemicals in them that can severely damage paintwork. Not removing these can cause paint defects that might not be removable. In some cases a respray is needed to repair the surface....