Detailing isn’t without risks. You work with chemicals or fast moving machines. It is important to take you own safety into account and to be aware of health risks at work. Preparation is key to safety.
You might be working with electrical equipment which have their risks.
- Electricity is very dangerous, getting into contact with a it can lead to death. Proper insulated shoes will help to protect yourself
- Water and electricity don’t mix, keep these 2 apart as much as you can
- Check the leads of your machines regularly to prevent getting electrocuted
- Many products within the world of detailing contain certain chemicals, these can be dangerous to you
- pH neutral chemicals are often relatively safe, however, it is not a bad choice to wear gloves
- Acidic liquids are very dangerous, they can burn your skin, eyes and when inhaled can damage your lungs
- Alkaline liquids are very dangerous, they can burn your skin, eyes and when inhaled can damage your lungs
- Although polishes don’t often contain very harsh chemicals, it can be very painful if you get a drop in your eyes
- Chemicals that are designed to remove grease and fat, can also remove natural fat from your skin, drying it out and damaging it
- Some of these chemicals can evaporate, the fumes of these liquids can be bad for your health, knowing when you need to wear protection for inhaling might be a wise decision
- You are working with heavy object (cars, bikes, boats etc.) which will be jacked up for some jobs. Wear steel-toe shoes to protect your feet
- The object you are working on can have sharp edges, it is advised to wear gloves
- Since you are working with water, the floor around you can become very slippery. It might be wise to invest in a type of flooring that doesn’t get very slippery when wet
- The chemicals you are working with can be hazardous to your skin, lungs and eyes. These products can be knocked over, A stable platform can be a wise investment
- Since you are working with tools that have leads that you can trip over, be aware of your surroundings and try to keep the floor empty and organized
Visual and other risks to your health
- It is always safe to wear eye protection. Polish can fly from the pad or the surface towards your eye for example
- Seeing as you are working with machines, you can wear ear protection
- It is safest to take any jewelry off, you could get caught with it or even make scratches
- When wearing gloves because you are working with chemicals, remember that those chemicals can also get in contact with your eyes, clothes and other parts of skin. Protection might be needed to retain your health
- Always put your health above the work that needs to be done
- It is often asked on detailing fora and social media: "what is the best rotary". Off course there is a difference between certain products and brands, but it is important to know what you are asking. In this guide I will try to explain what the problem is with this question unless it is asked more in-depth....
- Nanolex is German based manufacturer of high-end nano-technology products for the automotive-, marine- and aerial detailing sector. With a collection of products that include, shampoo, coatings, sealants and tools....
- A tonneau is an area in a vehicle that protects any passengers and is often covered by a soft or hard cover. The tonneau can be compared with a truck bed and has many different names. Modern cars don't really have the structure to correctly use this term....
- Sam's Detailing is an English manufacturer of detailing products, established in 2013 and most known for their all-black design and informal approach. One of the most known products is the Sam's Detailing Ceramic Boost....
- It is often asked on detailing fora and social media: "what is the best TFR, Fallout Remover or Engine Bay Cleaner". Off course there is a difference between certain products and brands, but it is important to know what you are asking. In this guide I will try to explain what the problem is with this question unless it is asked more in-depth....
- Zymöl is a manufacturer of different car care product and is located in America. The history and links with the Swissvax company has caused for some problems in the past. Zymöl products are generally aimed at varies parts of the detailing process....