Fabric protection is used to increase the lifespan of fabric by repelling as much dirt and stains as possible. It is commonly used on convertible roofs, seats, floormats and carpets. Fabric protection is most often done by applying a liquid.
Difference in fabric protection
In general, you could make the categorization between sealants and coatings. Although the coatings are not strictly based upon a ceramic component, it could be considered as a form of processing the product. One product might only need air to dry, another will need to addition of heat from an external source.
For example: some products are sprayed upon the surface, then just left to dry. They would generally be considered as sealants. Other products need to be dried with a hair dryer or paint dryer (application of heat from an external source) to dry. These would generally be considered as coatings. In real life terms, the difference lies in their durability and expected longevity. Coatings are often stronger and longer lasting then sealants.
Note that the use of the term “sealant” or “coating” might not be technically correct, seeing as both product are based on the use of polymers, which would make both sealants. The use of a ceramic component (SiO2, Si3D, SiH4 etc.) is very rare, which is the common factor to define a coating.
As above, the most common difference is the form of application. This list will give a very general idea of application. Read the label or check with the manufacturer to know how your products is best applied.
- Make sure the fabric you are working with is perfectly clean with no residues left
- Spray the surface with the product
- *Spread the product with a brush or roller (this also helps to saturate the fabric)
- After a few minutes, wipe the surface lightly with a clean MF towel
- Either let the fabric dry naturally, or use an external heat source (this could be a hair dryer, or a paint dryer with increased distance)
- Make sure the fabric has ample time to dry before it is exposed to dirt, liquids or other forms of contaminations
* = optional step, depends on product
How to know if it works
The form of protection has an hydrophobic effect, which basically means that it appears to repel water. This will not always work the same with other liquids, because there can be a difference in surface tension. A cleaning liquid will have a very different surface tension, and will probably not beads on protected fabric. To test wether the protective layer is still present, it is advised to clean the fabric (by vacuum or dry MF towel) and drop a few drops of water on the fabric. If the water is instantly absorbed, the protection may have failed.
Note that the level of contamination/dirt in the fabric can have a negative effect on the performance of the protective layer.
- Oxidation is the chemical process in which there is a chemical reaction that involves the moving of electrons. To be more precise, it means that the substance that is giving away electrons is oxidized. In simple terms it means that the surface of any object is affected when time goes by....
- Opti-Coat is an American developer of ceramic coatings located in Memphis. The company creates different types of coatings for the automotive detailing industry. The company was established by David Ghodoussi....
- Mad Cow is a manufacturer and seller of detailing products and accessoires. The company is based in England. Mad Cow can be recognized by their funky label, which shows a cow hanging on a parachute. The rest of the label is matte-black with yellow/gold writing....
- TEVO Creations is a raw material supplier/distributor, private label company and also manufacturer/developer of nano-technology based products for the consumer, construction and automotive market. It is one of a few companies like this that originates from Malaysia....
- It is often asked on detailing fora and social media: "what is the best sprayhead". Off course there is a difference between certain products and brands, but it is important to know what you are asking. In this guide I will try to explain what the problem is with this question unless it is asked more in-depth....
- Commandant is a (from origin) Dutch manufacturer of car care products. The company is now owned by Valma, another Dutch care care manufacturer. The brand is known for their cleaner paste products....