A sealant is protective product that is made up out of polymers. If they contain wax, they are considered hybrids. Sealants come in several different types and are the step between natural wax and completely synthetic protective products.
Liquid or paste form
Although most of the sealants are in liquid form (also referred to as ‘spray on sealants’) it is possible to make them in a paste form. A sealant is fairly easy to apply, and can be made to be used on several products.
A sealant can be made to be much more versatile then a wax. Most wax isn’t designed to be used on plastic trim and/or glass. But a sealant can be made to perform really well on plastic, perspex, glass and even rubber. Because a sealant is completely based upon polymer technology, there are no wax-related limitations. The grade and type of polymers that are used make the difference.
Natural vs synthetic
In the world of bodyshops the term ‘silicone’ usually scares people off. However, this is very wrong. Polymers are used in many items. When a polymer is made by mankind (synthetic) and based on siloxane, it is called a ‘silicone’. So silicones is just a collective word for synthetic polymers based on siloxanes. Polymers (both natural and synthetic) can be used to enhance performance of an article. It is used in concrete to make it stronger, dry quicker, be more chemical resistance etc. In a wax polymers are used to make it more durable, more chemical resistant, easier to apply and bond better to the surface. This is the same in sealant. Several different types of polymers/silicons can be used to enhance the performance of a sealant.
The problem with the term ‘silicones’ is due to the polymers that are used to change the surface energy of a solid or the surface energy of a liquid. When these polymers cover an area, it can be difficult to paint that surface because the silicones prevent the paint from bonding and covering the area. Small drops would appear instead of 1 solid film.
However, there are only certain polymers/silicones that cause this effect. The paint itself actually uses polymer-technology to increase its performance. So saying you don’t want to have ‘silicones’ in your bodyshops is saying like saying you don’t want liquids in your petrol tank when you actually mean to say that you don’t want water in your petrol tank.
Downside of sealants
Although sealants are loved by many detailers because they are so easy to use, they can also have downsides. A few of those downsides are listed below:
- A sealant leaves a glassy look, which is not always wanted
- Unlike a wax, a sealant will not cover up or hide surface imperfections
- A sealant can be more expensive to make, which slightly increases the price
- When a sealant dries up it can leave spots that are difficult to remove
- Some sealants require more experience then a wax
- A sealant is often less economical then wax
The advantages are:
- Usually very easy to use
- Often more durable then a wax
- Rarely requires buffing, in most cases it’s enough to wipe it off
- Superior chemical resistance to wax
- Can be made to bond with plastic trims, glass and even rubber
- It’s easier to be made into a hybrid with either wax or a coating
- No limitations that are wax-related
- After washing a vehicle, the recommended step is to rinse the soap off. But not everybody actually knows why its recommended. Why not just dry off the soap and with it, the vehicle? Rinsing is one of the many steps of washing a car properly. And shouldn't be skipped, unless you are using a rinseless of waterless washing products....
- Sam's Detailing is an English manufacturer of detailing products, established in 2013 and most known for their all-black design and informal approach. One of the most known products is the Sam's Detailing Ceramic Boost....
- Surface tension is the energy a liquid contains that prevents its surface to be deformed by an object with a higher surface tension/energy. The surface energy of water has as a side effect that it can form beads on surfaces with a very low surface energy or high repulsive force....
- An applicator pad is a small round tool that can be used to apply a liquid or paste product. It is often made of a foam-like material, but can also be made from microfibre or random fabric. ...
- RestorFX originates from 2006 and was founded by Alexander and Nadia Kay and Tony Dowsett. The company is located in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. It is one of only a few Canadian manufacturers of automotive detailing products....
- It is often asked on detailing fora and social media: "what is the best TFR, Fallout Remover or Engine Bay Cleaner". Off course there is a difference between certain products and brands, but it is important to know what you are asking. In this guide I will try to explain what the problem is with this question unless it is asked more in-depth....