The term protection is used in autodetailing to refer to a product that is used to prevent damage to a surface, regardless if that damage is caused by liquids, solids or even gasses. These forms of protection come in many forms and shapes.
Many different forms
Protective products come in many different forms and shapes. An example of these are:
- Wax (both in liquid or paste form)
- Sealants (both in liquid of paste form
- Ceramic coatings (only in liquid form
- Plastic film
A losely term
The term protection should be used with care, because it might not be completely correct. The word ‘protection’ is mainly used to describe a product, material, object that prevents damage to another object or substance. In detailing, this term refers to products that help to minimize the effect something can have an a surface. This can be chemically or mechanically. An example would be a chemical cleaning solution that can cause surface imperfections on paintwork. Another example is the effect of acidic rain on paintwork.
A wrong synonym
Some products don’t offer true protection, but aid in easy cleaning. An example of this is wax. Wax will not protect against falling branches, rocks or even acidic rain. But because of its effect on water and dust, it will make cleaning the surface a lot easier. Because much less contaminants can ‘stick’ to the surface, they are easily washed off. The ease of cleaning helps to prevent swirls, decreases the need to clay or polish and increases the chance that bird dropping, chemical liquids and grime is easily washed off.
Pros and cons
Every form of protection has it’s pros and cons. Just a few are mentioned in this list.
- Pro: very easy to use and apply, cheap, easy to store, can be made in liquid or paste form, easy to combine with sealant (hybrid), hides minor imperfections, easy to combine gloss with a deep color, easy to remove and reapply
- Cons: short life, needs to replaced, traps dirt, difficult with chemicals, very soft, offers minimal protection
- Ceramic coating
- Pros: very good durability, very chemical resistant, very tough, superior protection against scratches
- Cons: difficult to apply, shows imperfections, needs a lot of preparation, the same look, gives a sterile look. Expensive, difficult to remove
- Plastic film
- Pros: easy to remove, long durability, offers protection against small stones and sticks
- Cons: difficult to apply, expensive, can be visible, shows imperfections
In most cases the state of the protective layer is judged by looking at the behaviour of water. Beading and sheeting are indications of the quality of a protective layer. In case these show that a protective layer has degraded to much, it is recommended to remove the layer and apply a new layer. However, there are some cases in which a protective layer can be revived. Ceramic coating respond very well to being washed with an acidic cleaning agent (such as certain wheel cleaners). These solutions remove much of stubborn dirt that causes the water behaviour to change, without affecting the ceramic coating in any way. This does NOT work with wax and most sealant, because these will degrade heavily by coming into contact with an acidic solution.
- The colored coat is sometimes referred to as the base coat. This is a layer of paint that holds the color in which the panel is to be painted. This layer covers the primer and is usually finished with a layer of clear coat....
- Corrosion Technologies LLC is an American manufacturer of detailing products. The brand creates products that are used to protect paintwork from wear and tear by external elements. They own products like RejeX, Max Wax, CorrosionX and many more....
- It is often asked on detailing fora and social media: "what is the best rotary". Off course there is a difference between certain products and brands, but it is important to know what you are asking. In this guide I will try to explain what the problem is with this question unless it is asked more in-depth....
- A traffic film is the term used to describe the fine layer of contaminants that cover a vehicle that has been used. The very film layer of contaminants lie on top of the car as a grey-ish film. Washing alone might not always be enough to fully remove this film....
- Bowden's Own is an Australian manufacturer of detailing products and offers guides, hosts events and offers a wide range of information regarding detailing in general. The company is one of a few manufacturers from Australia. ...
- Applicators are products that are used to spread, apply, rub or buff a certain product to a certain surface. These can also be referred to as an applicator pad. There are many several differen shapes, sizes and material that are used for this....