A pre-wash can be done to loosen up dirt and grime before you start washing the car. This means that your washmitt (or similar) will have much less dirt to remove. This results in cleaner rinse water, less often the need to rinse your mitt and less mechanical cleaning needed.
A vehicle can be covered in dirt and grime, meaning the surface needs to be cleaned. When you wash your vehicle, you move the dirt and grime from the surface of the vehicle via the washmitt. This is done via mechanical cleaning. Although you reduce the risk of surface imperfection via the correct way of washing, you are still not risk-free. Any form of mechanical cleaning will always have a small risk. If the surface is more dirty, the risk becomes bigger. Pre-washing removes much of the dirt and grime without the need for mechanical cleaning. Unfortunately, pre-washing isn’t strong enough to completely clean the surface, so some mechanical washing is still needed.
What forms of pre-washing
There are a few different ways of pre-washing a vehicle. Some might be easier or cheaper, but will clean less. Others might clean more, but can potentially strip or damage the protective layer. Only the protection-safe products are suitable for regular use. The strong cleaners are more suitable for periodic use.
Snowfoam is a very common form of pre-wash. It is reasonably simple to apply and only requires a pressure washer and a foam lance. It is applied on the vehicle, left for several minutes to soak and then rinsed off. After the snowfoam is rinsed off, you can wash the vehicle like normal with a mitt or similar.
In case the equipment is missing to apply snowfoam, or there are reasons why a pressure washer can’t be used, a hand foamer can be used. This pump has a reservoir for water and snowfoam, a pump handle and a larger spraynozzle. The reservoir is pumped full of air, when there is enough pressure, the snowfoam/water mixture can be pushed through the nozzle, making it foam. This way of foaming is generally slightly less effective but might be a good option when a pressure washer can’t be used.
Truck wash is a chemical way of cleaning a vehicle. This alkaline or acidic product contains strong chemicals that are designed to fully strip anything on the surface of the paint. This often means that sealants and wax are removed. Coating can also be damaged by this product. The advantage is that it is easy to work with, fairly cheap and economical and works on many different forms of grime and dirt.
A traffic film remover is a strong cleaner, similar to truck wash, but in smaller form. It can also be designed to work on a specific type of dirt and/or grime, meaning it can be safe for certain materials. Most TFR’s are quite strong and will either strip your form of protection or negatively affect it. However, it is very effective in cleaning.
Whatever form of pre-wash you are using, it will not be enough to completely remove all forms of dirt or grime on the surface. Mechanical cleaning is almost always needed to get the surface perfectly clean. You can either follow up with a normal wash, or a full detail (wash, clay, decontaminate, polish and protect). Pre-washing has made washing safer, but its not a complete process.
- Detailing a motorbike isn't all that different to any other surface. The main different will be the technique and the tools used because of working in small spaces. Motorbike cleaning requires more effort then most other vehicles, due to small crevices and tight corners....
- The one bucket method is the most used method of washing a car, but is also the least recommended way of washing the car. In this method the user only uses 1 bucket, which doesn't allow for much rinsing of the sponge/washmitt....
- Steam cleaning is the act of using evaporated and heated water to clean a surface. Steam has to benefit that it interacts with oils and grease without the need for an emusifier. This means it can clean dirt and grease without soap. Which leaves less residue. Steam cleaning can be used on the outside of a car as well as on the interior....
- AMMO NYC is a detailing products manufacturer with the slogan "Drive + Protect". The brand offers a small range of products aimed at the most common steps in the detailing process. ...
- There are 2 general ways for deep cleaning fabric. Using a vacuum cleaner (just removing surface dirt), or using a wet/dry vacuum cleaner (deep clean the fabric). When you deep clean fabric, you need to take into account that you will spent a lot more time on it....
- It is often asked on detailing fora and social media: "what is the best washmitt". Off course there is a difference between certain products and brands, but it is important to know what you are asking. In this guide I will try to explain what the problem is with this question unless it is asked more in-depth....