A polish is an abrasive or chemical product that is mostly used to remove surface defects by removing a very thin layer of the product. If the removed layer is the same thickness as the depth of the surface defect, you will end up with a smooth surface that will not have a surface defect anymore. Many polishes are liquid, but not all. There are also polish-paste products.
misconceptions about polish
There are a few misperception regarding polish.
- Some people are used to the term “polish” when they are describing a wax
This could be cause because both a polish and a wax are “buffed” in a certain way, which makes the process of working with it a bit similar
- Polish does NOT hide surface defects, but removes it.
- Most polishes only show the true result after the surface has been wiped off with a polish-residue-remover (such as IPA)
- A polish does not have to be abrasive, there are also chemical polishes on the market
- A polish does not always have to be carried by oils, it is possible to make polishes on water-basis, however these are more difficult (and expensive) to manufacturer
- There are several products on the market that are actually a glaze, but are called a “polish” because it gives the impression that the surface defects are removed
- Polishes can be made for any surface: glass, paintwork, metal, plastic, perspex etc.
Differences between products
There can be many difference between polish. Certain characteristics can be very important, and not all the products have these characteristics in the same way. Some are more lubricating than others for example. It takes skill and experience to understand which polish should be choosen for what situation. This can not only be determined by the product itself but also the polishing machine somebody is going to use, the pad they are using, the type of paint, the weather (if applicable) and the color of the paintwork.
Differences between products can be:
- Level of abrasiveness
- SMAT or DAT
- Amount of particles per ml
- Amount of lubrication
- Water- or oil-based
- How long it needs to be worked in
- Better on soft paint or hard paint
- Designed to be used by hand, DA or by rotary
There are products on the market that combine the features of 2 (or more) products. An example of a product that combines a polish could be a “polishing glaze”. This is a polish that contains certain oils that are left behind after buffing. These oils fill in the tiny surface defects that might be left behind because the polish didn’t remove them completely. The polish particles reduce the amount of surface defect and the glaze makes the last little bit less visible, which gives the impression that the surface defect was completely removed.
The advantage with this product would be that you achieve a better result, the downside is also that you might not get a honest picture of the result achieved.
polish comes in several different grades. The most common grades are:
Heavy cutting polish
The amount of result is very dependent on the surface it is used on. Some paint can be tougher than other paint. A very tough paint needs a rougher polish to achieve affect. That same grade of polish will have much more result on softer paint.
The polishingpad that is used with the polish also has a big effect on the result.
The article regarding polishing actually contains some further information regarding the use of a polish.
- In the world of detailing, their are several special cleaning products. Among them is the tar remover. This is a special cleaning product to remove tar and often also glue residue. Tar can come from roads and sometimes at industrial places, it is used in asphalt roads and can be used at construction sites for roofing and some plumbing jobs. It doesn't cause damage, but shows up as ugly black spots which are notoriously difficult to remove....
- Westhill Trading Ltd is an English manufacturer of products used in detailing and valeting. Among others, Westhill Trading is the company behind Colourlock, known for cleaning, restoring and coloring leather surfaces. The company used to be called Westhill Properties Ltd up until Februari 2015....
- A pre-wash can be done to loosen up dirt and grime before you start washing the car. This means that your washmitt (or similar) will have much less dirt to remove. This results in cleaner rinse water, less often the need to rinse your mitt and less mechanical cleaning needed....
- An applicator pad is a small round tool that can be used to apply a liquid or paste product. It is often made of a foam-like material, but can also be made from microfibre or random fabric. ...
- Before and after photo's are fairly popular when showing the work done on a vehicle. But these photo's don't always properly show the work that has been done because the images are to difficult to compare. ...
- Carlack is a Swiss manufacturer of car care products that has been making products since 1958. The brand is divided into 4 sections: Carlack, Aerolack, Yachtlack and Polylack, to cater for the need of several different type of surfaces and types of contaminants....