A polish is an layer of the product. If the removed layer is the same thickness as the depth of the surface defect, you will end up with a smooth surface that will not have a surface defect anymore. Many polishes are liquid, but not all. There are also polish-paste products.or chemical product that is mostly used to remove surface defects by removing a very thin
misconceptions about polish
There are a few misperception regarding polish.
- Some people are used to the term “polish” when they are describing a wax
This could be cause because both a polish and a wax are “buffed” in a certain way, which makes the process of working with it a bit similar
- Polish does NOT hide surface defects, but removes it.
- Most polishes only show the true result after the surface has been wiped off with a polish-residue-remover (such as )
- A polish does not have to be , there are also chemical polishes on the market
- A polish does not always have to be carried by oils, it is possible to make polishes on water-basis, however these are more difficult (and expensive) to manufacturer
- There are several products on the market that are actually a , but are called a “polish” because it gives the impression that the surface defects are removed
- Polishes can be made for any surface: glass, paintwork, metal, plastic, perspex etc.
Differences between products
There can be many difference between polish. Certain characteristics can be very important, and not all the products have these characteristics in the same way. Some are more lubricating than others for example. It takes skill and experience to understand which polish should be choosen for what situation. This can not only be determined by the product itself but also the polishing machine somebody is going to use, the pad they are using, the type of paint, the weather (if applicable) and the color of the paintwork.
Differences between products can be:
- Level of abrasiveness
- Amount of particles per ml
- Amount of lubrication
- Water- or oil-based
- How long it needs to be worked in
- Better on soft paint or hard paint
- Designed to be used by hand, or by rotary
There are products on the market that combine the features of 2 (or more) products. An example of a product that combines a polish could be a “polishing ”. This is a polish that contains certain oils that are left behind after buffing. These oils fill in the tiny surface defects that might be left behind because the polish didn’t remove them completely. The polish particles reduce the amount of surface defect and the makes the last little bit less visible, which gives the impression that the surface defect was completely removed.
The advantage with this product would be that you achieve a better result, the downside is also that you might not get a honest picture of the result achieved.
polish comes in several different grades. The most common grades are:
Heavy cutting polish
The amount of result is very dependent on the surface it is used on. Some paint can be tougher than other paint. A very tough paint needs a rougher polish to achieve affect. That same grade of polish will have much more result on softer paint.
The polishingpad that is used with the polish also has a big effect on the result.
The article regarding polishing actually contains some further information regarding the use of a polish.
- Plexiglass/perspex is a very soft type of plastic (Polymethyl methacrylate) that is very rarely used. Just like glass or paintwork, it can suffer from surface imperfections. Swirls and scratches can be very visible because it is fully transparent....
- Paint can be repaired in several different ways. Some of these paint repair techniques can be done by most people, others should only be done by professional painters. The method needed to fix the paint depends on the severity of the paint imperfection. Some forms of repair are most expensive then others....
- Festool is a large manufacturer of electrical equipment. Their range of products differ from battery powered sanders, to cordless drills and corded/cordless polishers. The company originates from Germany but is active in almost all countries in the world. It can also be found in DIY and hardware stores....
- Smart Polish Pro is an English manufacturer of detailing products with a strong aim on environmental-friendly products that do not require the use of water. The company is fairly young, but has been growing in popularity in only a few years....
- When you ask a detailer for a starter pack, they will often begin with 2 buckets and a proper washmitt. But why? What's so special about a washmitt that you need to have it? A washmitt is essential in taken care of your vehicle in a way that will minimize the amount of surface imperfections you create....
- Within detailing, there are many different types of product. Within the group of cleaning products, there are sub-categories. Amongst them is the wheel cleaner. This is a specific cleaning products designed to clean wheels. This product will be specifically aimed at removing dirt that is most common for this area, such as brake dust, grime, mud, tar and several more. Not all wheel cleaners attack all these contaminants, but most attack many of them....
- When removing paint defects, like scratches or water spot etching, the Kevin Brown Method uses a Finishing Polish instead of the traditional heavy-cut compound. This is done via a combination with a microfiber polishing pad and a random orbital polisher....
- Detailing brushes come in all types and sizes and can be used for several different tasks. In general, these are aimed at scrubbing but can sometimes also be used to reach an area that is difficult to reach with a microfiber towel....