What is spit shining
Written by: Vinnie van Rooij
Spit shining is an old technique used by shoe-polishers to get amazing results. This technique can also be used with applying wax on cars. The technique needs some practice to master properly, but can give amazing results.
Normally, if you want to apply multiple layers of a protective product it is necessary to wait 12-24hrs between each coat. However, it is possible to apply two layers of a carnauba paste wax in one go by using the technique of spit shining. This is the generic technique I use for spit-shining:
- Apply the wax as normal to the first panel then spray with a little QD spray to wet the surface. Do not buff.
- Repeat for three more panels (we generally call the roof two panels, so roof, bonnet, front wing to start for example)
- Go back to your first panel and apply a second layer of wax and work until the QD beads dissappear and you are left with a residue as you would have normally. You can buff the panel first if you like, QD then re-wax but I just re-wax over the original layer.
- Repeat this on the other panels.
- Buff off residues.
- Repeat over whole car.
Spit shine is used to enhance the reflectivity and durability from a carnauba wax and has been known to produce awesome results.
- A medium polish is a polishing product with a certain level of cutting. It will not remove RDS or severe surface imperfections, but it will will remove swirls, oxidation and several others. It is the most common step after cutting/compounding and if followed up by a finishing polish....
- A rinseless wash is a washing technique that allows you to wash your car in a way that does not require rinsing afterwards. It is not waterless, but rinseless. This way of washing can save on time and/or product and prevents too much chemicals from going down the drain....
- CARTEC bv is one of only a few Dutch detailing products manufacturers and is based in Benthuizen, The Netherlands. The company mainly operates within The Netherlands and Belgium, but the brand has been seen outside of these countries winthin Europe. The products are offered both in large packaging and smaller, consumer based, bottles....
- In the world of protective products, their are several different types. Many detailers will be familiar with wax, some also with sealants but not many will have heard of a coating. These coatings are special products that offer extreme durability and protection, but with a cost; much less easy to apply. The technology behind these products is also very different to sealants or wax. There are coatings for paintwork, glass, rubber and plastic. These product are also referred to as SiO2 coatings or...
- Masking tape is tape designed to be applied to sensitive surfaces with the aim of masking off certain areas and easy and residue free removal. Masking tape comes in several sizes and can be varies colors. It helps to prevent polish from getting onto surfaces you don't want it to get at....
- Road spray is a dirty mist of contaminants in the air, thrown up by a vehicle driving over the road. Road spray is partly the cause for traffic film and can cause dirt and grime, even when the weather has been dry and there is no obvious origin for dirt on a vehicle....
Links to this articleThere are no external links to this article. Yet.