Zymöl is a manufacturer of different car care product and is located in America. The history and links with the Swissvax company has caused for some problems in the past. Zymöl products are generally aimed at varies parts of the detailing process.
The information below was supplied by the headoffice of Zymöl. The information shared with us does not meet the public information that can be found on detailing fora, meetings boards, social media and some other websites. We chose to use the information supplied by Zymöl.
Zymöl was established in 1980 by Charles Bennet. Mr Bennet visited his grandmother’s borthplace he found a wax formula for horse-draw wooden carriages. With the help of a pharmaceutical company he managed to determine the composition and found suitable substitutes for the recipe. Some of the older, inferfior ingrediënts where replaced with suitable modern variants. After Charles Bennet wasn’t fully satisfied with the result, they added invertase and propolis, an enzymatic emollient like you find in beer of yogurt.
The first part of “Zymöl” comes from the word “enZYMe”. The last part of the word is based on the German word for oil: “öl”.
Zymöl and Swissvax
Many customers have been confused with the similar-sounding brandnames: Swissvax, Swissol and Swizol. However, these are not willingly connected with each other. After Hans Anwander from Anwander & Co approached Zymöl to become and autorised distributor, the 2 comes got in contact for the first time. This was around 1990. An unknown time later, Zymöl received several complaints regarding the creation of counterfeit Zymöl products with similar packaging, stylization, patent infringement and false advertising including ingrediënt listings. After Zymöl asked them to cease these counterfeits, a new company was formed under the name Swizol which continued the counterfeits. After this company was also asked to cease these counterfeits, another company followed by the name Swissol. At an uncertain moment this company was also told to cease their counterfeits, which was eventually followed by the birth a new company under the name: Swissvax. A law suit resulted against this last company in 2004 after they eventually advertised their products online. Zymöl claims to have won the court case in the US Federal Court, but the Swissvax brand still exists and is still active.
Zymöl products are designed with a designed plan of development: formulas are defined with plant standards, natural ingredients are sourced, rigid testing begins, Zymöl standards are established, Car Car products become world renown, groves and ordchards are established in Florida and Zymöl expands product offerings. This has led to a range of products that offers solutions for many of the common detailing steps. Zymöl started out with wax products, but nowadays offers products such as washing, conditions, glazes, cleaners and protection.
Zymöl products are enzyme based, which means that they use air as a catalyst in the curing of the wax. This basically means that the product in the jar is an emulsion of ingredients, that technically only becomes a “wax” when it comes into direct contact with air and the catalyst makes it haze and cure.
Zymöl has its own company website and is located in America. The company or brand is sparingly seen on detailing related meetings or events and can be mentioned at detailing fora and/or message boards by customers and some resellers. The company is not overly active on social media.
Unofficial history of Zymöl
The below video was made by Luke Macken and gives insight into the (unofficial) history behind Zymöl.
- It is often asked on detailing fora and social media: "what is the best dressing". Off course there is a difference between certain products and brands, but it is important to know what you are asking. In this guide I will try to explain what the problem is with this question unless it is asked more in-depth....
- Wolf's Chemicals is an Hungarian company that manufacturers and sells detailing products. The range varies from wax and sealants to cleaners, shampoo and dressing. Although the headquarters is based in Hungary, Wolf's Chemicals is being sold in several countries in Europe and Asia....
- Mitchell and King is an United Kingdom based manufacturer of car wax and detailing supplies. They uphold the mentality that car care products should treat the car with respect and care....
- Polyol is a reference to organic compounds that contain more then 1 hydroxyl groups. In the world of detailing it mainly refers to polymer technology or nanoscience that is being used in the manufacturering process of certain products....
- Valma is brand that originates from around the 1930's and is still available in several shops. The can be recognized by their logo that hasn't changed much in the last 80+ years....
- stands for IsoPropyl Alcohol, and is a chemical compound often used in the world of detailing to remove polish residue. The liquid is colorless with a strong odor. Caution is required for this liquid is very highly flammable!...