Zymöl is a manufacturer of different car care product and is located in America. The history and links with the Swissvax company has caused for some problems in the past. Zymöl products are generally aimed at varies parts of the detailing process.
The information below was supplied by the headoffice of Zymöl. The information shared with us does not meet the public information that can be found on detailing fora, meetings boards, social media and some other websites. We chose to use the information supplied by Zymöl.
Zymöl was established in 1980 by Charles Bennet. Mr Bennet visited his grandmother’s borthplace he found a wax formula for horse-draw wooden carriages. With the help of a pharmaceutical company he managed to determine the composition and found suitable substitutes for the recipe. Some of the older, inferfior ingrediënts where replaced with suitable modern variants. After Charles Bennet wasn’t fully satisfied with the result, they added invertase and propolis, an enzymatic emollient like you find in beer of yogurt.
The first part of “Zymöl” comes from the word “enZYMe”. The last part of the word is based on the German word for oil: “öl”.
Zymöl and Swissvax
Many customers have been confused with the similar-sounding brandnames: Swissvax, Swissol and Swizol. However, these are not willingly connected with each other. After Hans Anwander from Anwander & Co approached Zymöl to become and autorised distributor, the 2 comes got in contact for the first time. This was around 1990. An unknown time later, Zymöl received several complaints regarding the creation of counterfeit Zymöl products with similar packaging, stylization, patent infringement and false advertising including ingrediënt listings. After Zymöl asked them to cease these counterfeits, a new company was formed under the name Swizol which continued the counterfeits. After this company was also asked to cease these counterfeits, another company followed by the name Swissol. At an uncertain moment this company was also told to cease their counterfeits, which was eventually followed by the birth af a new company under the name: Swissvax. A law suit resulted against this last company in 2004 after they eventually advertised their products online. Zymöl claims to have won the court case in the US Federal Court, but the Swissvax brand still exists and is still active.
Zymöl products are designed with a designed plan of development: formulas are defined with plant standards, natural ingredients are sourced, rigid testing begins, Zymöl standards are established, Car Car products become world renown, groves and ordchards are established in Florida and Zymöl expands product offerings. This has led to a range of products that offers solutions for many of the common detailing steps. Zymöl started out with wax products, but nowadays offers products such as washing, conditions, glazes, cleaners and protection.
Zymöl products are enzyme based, which means that they use air as a catalyst in the curing of the wax. This basically means that the product in the jar is an emulsion of ingredients, that technically only becomes a “wax” when it comes into direct contact with air and the catalyst makes it haze and cure.
Zymöl has its own company website and is located in America. The company or brand is sparingly seen on detailing related meetings or events and can be mentioned at detailing fora and/or message boards by customers and some resellers. The company is not overly active on social media.
Unofficial history of Zymöl
The below video was made by Luke Macken and gives insight into the (unofficial) history behind Zymöl.
- R222 is the European name under which P21S offers its products. P21S is a brand under SmartParts TM located in Connecticut, America. SmartParts can also be known as BIS (Brookside Import Specialties). Which also owns brands such as S100....
- IPA stands for IsoPropyl Alcohol, and is a chemical compound often used in the world of detailing to remove polish residue. The liquid is colorless with a strong odor. Caution is required for this liquid is very highly flammable!...
- Carnauba waxes are the traditional automotive paintwork protection. Carnauba wax is secreted by the leaves of a tree in the rainforests of Brazil in order to protect the leaves from the blistering heat. It is one of natures most durable waxes with excellent protective properties that makes it ideal for protecting paint....
- KRÜGER GmbH is the company behind the brand: Detail Passion and is a German manufacturer of detailing products. Apart from manufacturing, the company also sells their own products alongside several other products in their own online webshop or offline walk-in shop. The company might be better known for their online shop: Chemical Shark....
- SCANGRIP is a Danish company that specializes in creating working lights that use LED technology. The range of product vary from lights with a certain spectrum, to lights that are aimed at high intensity....
- A wrap is a plastic film that can be applied over a surface. This can be done instead of a respray. The film can easily be removed after a while, and doesn't need much work afterwards. Applying a wrap is referred to as "wrapping"....