Paint can be repaired in several different ways. Some of these paint repair techniques can be done by most people, others should only be done by professional painters. The method needed to fix the paint depends on the severity of the paint imperfection. Some forms of repair are most expensive then others.
This is a technique where the painter tries to respray an area in such a way that you can’t see where the repair starts and the original paint ends. This can often only be done if the paint defect isn’t very deep and the area allows for fading the new paint. This technique is normally done by a professional painter and might require the use of a paint booth with temperature control and air filters. This technique can be very effective on smaller imperfections that are to deep to be polished out.
Filling in chips
Stone chips can be filled in by touching it up with touch-up-pens. With a very small brush or soft tip, a drop of paint can be laid in the chip and left to harden. After wards the area can be polished to make it invisible. This option can be done by people themselves and rarely requires special equipment or professional tools. The chips needs to be cleaned as thoroughly as possible and the drop of paint can best be applied via a tool with a very small tip. A nail painting brush or needle-point can be used for this delicate task. Give the paint enough time to cure before you polish it, or apply more paint.
This form of repair means that the entire panel gets a complete respray. The old layer needs to be sanded down and the painter sprays a complete new layer of paint or clear coat over the panel. This form of repair should be done by a professional and requires professional tools and equipment. If done correctly, the finished job looks as good as new. It might be necessary for this task to disassemble certain parts of the exterior such as trims or bumpers.
In some cases the scratch can be removed or made less visible by polishing the area. Polishing can be done fairly easily, however, knowledge and experience will play a big role in the end result. This job can be done indoors and in some circumstances also outside. Polishing only removes a very thin layer of paint.
If polishing isn’t enough, wetsanding the area can be enough. In this technique, you use wet pieces of special sanding paper to remove a layer of paint in a very controlled way. This step needs to be followed up by polishing. Wetsanding is less easy then polishing and will need experience and knowledge to be done correctly. If done properly, the end result can be a flawless area of paint. Wetsanding removes more paint then polishing, which should be taken into account. A paint depth gauge can help to prevent going through a layer of paint.
Not really a form of repair, but a form of covering the imperfection. A wrap is a big sheet of thin, flexible plastic foil. It is applied on top of the old surface and can be made in various colors or patterns. Applying a wrap is not easy and needs to be done by experienced people. The surface needs to be cleaned properly and the wrap needs to be applied with great care. After the wrap is applied, it can be removed at any given time, and the paint underneath should be un-affected. Wrapping can be a good way to conserve the original layer of paint, or if a respray in another color is to expensive.
- Festool is a large manufacturer of electrical equipment. Their range of products differ from battery powered sanders, to cordless drills and corded/cordless polishers. The company originates from Germany but is active in almost all countries in the world. It can also be found in DIY and hardware stores....
- There are a multitude of types of product available for cleaning glass. some or all of these may be required depending on just how much residue, dirt or traffic film has built up on the surface of the glass. Glass cleaning is part of regular maintenance....
- TEVO Creations is a raw material supplier/distributor, private label company and also manufacturer/developer of nano-technology based products for the consumer, construction and automotive market. It is one of a few companies like this that originates from Malaysia....
- There are reasons why paintwork can turn dull. Oxidized paintwork, or UV-damaged paintwork. Oxidized paintwork can look dull and looses its shine. It doesn't turn pale or looses its color, this would be UV-damage, not oxidation....
- Underbody cleaning is the act of cleaning the underside of the car to remove any dirt and restore the looks as when the car was new. This is a tedious and labor intensive job, but good cleaning products and tools can help to make it easier....
- Carbon Fiber is a material that is made up out of extremely thin fibers of carbon. The fibers of roughly 5 to 10 micrometer are build out of stretched carbonfibercrystals. A few thousand of these fibers are woven together to form 1 wire of carbonfiber....