It is often asked on detailing fora and social media: “what is the best snowfoam”. Off course there is a difference between certain products and brands, but it is important to know what you are asking. In this guide I will try to explain what the problem is with this question unless it is asked more in-depth.
The general problem
When somebody asks what the best shampoo is, they are not letting other people know what they mean with “best”. A shampoo is developed with several characteristics in mind. It has to be slick, good soluble in water, good cleaning properties, wax/sealant-safe and several more. These properties can be very different between products and/or brands. In the question “What is the best shampoo”, it is nowhere specified if that person is looking for a shampoo that is very slick, if it just smells nice or if it is the least protection-affecting.
So it is almost impossible to give an answer.
What to keep in mind when you ask the question
Many detailers are searching for a certain product that offers good quality. This could mean that they are looking for a cheap product, one that smells good, etc. Before you ask the question which product is the best it is important to know what you are looking for. Are you looking for a wax that offers mainly gloss? Or is easy to buff off? Or one that offers as much gloss?
It is important to know what you are looking for, and to know that there will be cases in which 2 properties can not be combined. A shampoo that is really awesome at washing away stubborn grease can not be wax safe. Simply because you need a certain harshness to remove the grease, harshness that is more then the wax can handle. Even sealants are likely to be affected by this.
A list of things to consider
Here is a list of properties you might consider including in your question. These can be your own preferences, or just things you find important. This list is simply made to help you find out what you exactly want to ask, so you will get better answers that suit your search.
- Dilution rate
- Size of the bottle
- Smell and color
- Cleans dirt
- Water solubility
- Sheets easily
- Wax safe
- Sealant safe
- PH neutral
- Has gloss-enhancers
- Leaves a layer of protection
- A glaze is special product that can be used to hide surface imperfections without removing them. This oily product will literally fill in the microscopic gaps and make the surface look shiny and without any swirls. It is popular with people who don't have a lot of time, but do want a good shine....
- Paint, just like any solid surface, has a certain hardness. To put it really simple, this tells you the force needed to put a scratch in the surface. Very soft paint gets marked easily, but is also easier to polish. A hard surface might not get scratched as easily, but will also be more difficult to polish....
- Rupes is an Italian (Vermezzo) manufacturer of professional machinery, tools and some other electrical equipment. Besides several different machines, they also manufacture machine polishers for the detailing industry. The most famous one is probably the Rupes Bigfoot series....
- In the world of polishes there are several grades. Among them are the compounds. These are the rough polishes aimed at more cut and less refinement. A compound is often used in combination with a rotary, but can also be used with a DA polisher. ...
- Cleaning a matte surface is slightly different to cleaning a regular glossy surface. There are certain things you need to keep in mind to do the job correctly without affecting the matte look....
- Polish Angel is a German manufacturer and seller of detailing related products. The brand sells shampoo, polish, protective products, but also polish pads, gloves and MF towels. Polish Angel is being sold around the world, but it only has distribution places in and around Germany and America....