Aluminium brighteners are essentially forms of hydrofluoric acid, which also sold under the type “tire cleaner”. A very similar product is used for etching glass and rust removers. The pure product is extremely toxic and dangerous. Aluminium brightener is another name for “wheel cleaner” or “metal cleaner”.
Why use an aluminium brightener
Aluminium is a type of metal that forms a protective layer on its outer most surface by a chemical reaction with oxygen. This creates a barrier between oxygen and the material itself, preventing it from oxidation. However, due to the use of many different types of chemicals, and effects that other variables can have on aluminium it can still become faded and matte over time. Aluminium can be polished to a high gloss, but it has to be fully decontaminated before this is possible. An aluminium brightener is a product that will remove vast amounts of contamination from aluminium and remove the outer most layer of the aluminium. As soon as it comes into contact with oxygen again, the protective layer will be re-created again. It will increase the look of the aluminium and shorten the amount of time needed to clean it prior to polishing.
What is an aluminium brightener
Aluminium brightener is a product based on hydrofluoric acid, which is an extremely acidic product. The acid has a limited effect on metals but reacts heavily with sand, dust and several other contaminants. The products is almost always a liquid that can be applied by spraying it on, and (where needed) agitated with a brush or similar. Due to its high acidity it is highly recommended to wear protection for skin, eyes, face and lungs when working with this product. The product can be rinsed off after use since it is completely soluble in water. Be very careful with the use of this product, it is capable of attacking many different types of surfaces such as glass and rubbers. It will also strip any form of protection on the surface.
Note that some manufacturers have been able to create products with similar properties without the use of hydrofluoric acid. If you are unsure on the product you are about to use, please contact the manufacturer directly and ask for the MSDS data.
Care taken when working with an aluminium brightener
Most if not all aluminium brighteners work on the basis of a chemical reaction, because of this it is recommended to take care when working with these substances.
- Containers to keep the product in should be made polyetheylene or teflon, or the product might dissolve the container
- Due to very high toxicity, proper protection should be worn at all times
- Breathing masks are highly recommended
- In case of a spill, immediately use calcium gluconate gel on the affected area
- Aluminium can get a slightly white-ish shine after being treated with this product. Polishing should restore the shiny metallic look.
- Be very careful with other surfaces such as glass
- Rinse very thoroughly, Limewater or caustic soda can be used to counter the acid
- Clean any object that has come into contact with this product thoroughly
- Always try on a very small area first
- Some prefer to wash with warm water, others prefer to wash with cold water. Although the experience of working with it may be different, it is not completely clear what the difference is in the effect it has on a product or a surface....
- Road spray is a dirty mist of contaminants in the air, thrown up by a vehicle driving over the road. Road spray is partly the cause for traffic film and can cause dirt and grime, even when the weather has been dry and there is no obvious origin for dirt on a vehicle....
- It is often asked on detailing fora and social media: "what is the best XXXX". Off course there is a difference between certain products and brands, but it is important to know what you are asking. In this guide I will try to explain what the problem is with this question unless it is asked more in-depth....
- A spray wax is protective product in a liquid form, thin enough to be pushed through a sprayhead in order to spread it over a surface by spraying. The liquid is usually white and unscented....
- Cleaning a matte surface is slightly different to cleaning a regular glossy surface. There are certain things you need to keep in mind to do the job correctly without affecting the matte look....
- Carlack is a Swiss manufacturer of car care products that has been making products since 1958. The brand is divided into 4 sections: Carlack, Aerolack, Yachtlack and Polylack, to cater for the need of several different type of surfaces and types of contaminants....