Conservation is a large part in the detailing process. It prevent wear and tear and is aimed at maintaining the original properties of the object. Conservation can also be financially rewarding, as is the case with most oldtimers or supercars.
Detailing = conservation
Detailing can be described as several different tasks, one of those is the reversal of wear and tear on an objects surface. Another part of the detailing process is to protect that surface in order to maintain the result and to prevent it from going back to the worn stage altogether. Maintaining a vehicles many different surfaces is a form of conservation because the prevention of wear and tear will result in the likelihood that the material/object will last longer then when these practices hadn’t been done. The conversation of a vehicle and/or an object in several different ways will make it more likely that it will last longer, and therefore doesn’t require replacing. This will keep the object in its original condition. Conservation prevents the need for restoration.
Why aim for conservation
There are a few reasons why conservation is a long term benefit
Some items gain value when they get older. Especially if they are still in original condition, the value will become higher. Conservation can help to maintain the quality of the object as well as its originality.
Maintaining is cheaper then replacing
In some cases, it is cheaper to care for the item then to replace it. Unique models or very expensive parts can be cheaper to be taken care of, then to replace once they are worn. These often also make a big difference in the value of an object.
The item is irreplaceable
When a certain item isn’t made anymore, replacing becomes near to impossible. If the object was maintained properly, there might not be a need to replace it. It might even be possible to sell the item for a high profit because others need to replace this item and can’t get it anywhere else.
It might last longer
Some objects that are made to be used can last longer when they are regularly maintained. Apart from saving money on repairs, it will also be more reliable which is very comfortable feeling. Being reliable might also be a factor in its value.
A well conserved object can look a lot better, especially when the object is older or very unique, keeping it in “as-new condition” can increase the emotional value, the appreciation and possibly also the value. It is often a very welcomed side-effect that it can lead to compliments.
Expenses conservation vs replacement
Conservation doesn’t happen naturally. Objects in use will wear down over time. This wear and tear should be reversed as much as possible via the act of conservation. However, in some case it might be cheaper on the long run to replace the item instead of conserving it. An example could be floormats in a car. Cleaning them regularly costs product, time, wear of the tool you are using and will not prevent the item from having to be replaced at some point. Brand new floormats might only cost the fraction of the combined costs to conserve them. In this case it would be more logical (from an economic/financial point of view) to wait until they need to be replaced. However, dirty floormats can be a bother for somebody who spent a lot of effort on keeping the interior of his car as clean as possible. There is also a risk that the dirty floormats will stain the carpet underneath.
When it comes down to emotional or cosmetic reasons, many choose conservation and looks above expenses. Meaning they will rather spent a large amount on conservation then replacing the item for a lower price. With some oldtimers, the conservation of as many parts as possible makes a large difference in the value of the vehicle.
Conservation can also refer to the usage of alternative methods/products in order to minimize the effect it has on the world around it. These often revolve around: less chemical, less water, less electricity used and less harmful for nature and animals. This type of conservation is done in order to preserve the world we live in for the generation that yet has to come. Working hard today so the next generation still has a healthy world to live in. Although these practices have become very popular these last years, it often means increasing the expenses. Many of these products, tools or practices cost more many then the “unfriendly” alternative. These alternatives are often marked with terms as “green” or “friendly”. Within the world of detailing, the most common points made are using less water, less harmful chemicals or using less resources in the fabrication process. Some manufacturer stop at changing the type of material that they use as a container for the product.
- 3M is one of the largest manufacturers in the world in many different fields. 3M is known to be the owner of brands such as Scotchgard, Mguiars and many more. The company also makes many different products under their own brand....
- When you polish a surface, the level of imperfection defines how much work it will be to achieve a perfect finish. This can either be a 1 stage polish, a 2 stage polish or even a 3 stage polish. Different types of stages needed define slightly what pads and/or polish you are going to need, and might give an indication of the time-frame needed....
- Poorboys World is a manufacturer of detailing products that range from polish to shampoos and cleaners. The product are being sold worldwide and focusses on the quality of their products, nothing else. Not even their labels....
- When leather is new, damaged, re-painted or cleaned thoroughly, it might be necessary to add a new layer of protection. This protection prevents the leather from drying out, cracking, fading or suffering to much from general wear and tear....
- There are several types of towels when detailing and there are several tasks at which you can use a MF towel while detailing. There is a correlation between the task at hand and the towel most fitting for the job....
- Zvizzer is a Germany based manufacturer of detailing related products. The brand started out with polishing pads and have expanded to include more different products. The company also offers trainings....