Underbody cleaning is the act of cleaning the underside of the car to remove any dirt and restore the looks as when the car was new. This is a tedious and labor intensive job, but good cleaning products and tools can help to make it easier.
Why do underbody cleaning
The underside of the car gets dirty, just like the rest. This dirt is rarely removed, so the dirt keeps building up. Dirt stays wet for longer then a clean surface. This means that the surface is in contact with dirt and moisture longer than it has to be. If there is any surface damage, and any bare metal is exposed, this can result in corrosion and oxidation. Just like washing a car is part of maintanance, cleaning the underbody is no different.
There are also people who do it because their car goes on shows, and needs to look mint at any time.
Tools that can help
Although it is still a labor intensive job, tools can help to make it easier on yourself. A few of these tools are:
- Pressure washer, to clean off dirt and grime more easily. If you have a pressure washer that can give clean water, it’ll be even better.
- Steam cleaner, to loosen up oil and dirty spots.
- Air compressor (or air blowing device) to blow out water from small spots and crevices that you can’t get into.
- A brush (both soft haired and hard haired), to agitate the cleaning solution and to get in small spots and crevices.
- Polisher, if you feel the need to polish certain surfaces (like polishing the exhaust)
- towels, do not use new ones. There is a chance that they get dirty or damaged irreversibly
- Glue and tar remover, there might be tar on the underside
Products that can help
Certain products can help to make the underbody cleaning job a little easier. These are aimed at cleaning.
- Snow foam, to loosen up dirt as much as possible.
- , to remove general dirt and grime.
- Engine bay cleaner, to remove very dirty and greasy spots.
- Fallout remover, to remove any iron oxide contamination.
- Traffic film remover, to clean as much of unwanted contamination as possible.
- (Metal) polish, to get some shine on those dull and oxidized parts
- Grade 000 steelwool, this can help to remove some contamination on very hard surfaces like metal
Things to look out for
There can be several things you need to keep in mind when cleaning the underbody, or that can help you to prepare better to the job at hand.
- You are probably going to work above your head, so keep in mind that are likely to get wet
- Since you are working above your head, there is a good chance that products will drip on you, protection is advised
- Protection for the eyes and mouth are highly recommended, protection for the skin can also be very important depending on what products you are working with
- Be careful around sensitive areas such as brake lines, electric wires etc.
- Take care with certain liquid, they are not always safe for wheels
- Use plenty of water to rinse of the cleaning solutions you are using
- Dry the area, dried up water can cause water spots and seeing as ou might get water in sensitive areas, it might pay off the dry it as best as possible
- Some car have an engine cover on the underside, removing this allows you to clean certain parts more thoroughly
- Polishing the ‘paint’ on the underside might not work, some cars have a type of coating on the underside that can’t be polished. Or you risk removing the protective coating
- It is difficult to protect the underside of the car. A wax will be difficult to buff off, the most used product is often a liquid spray-sealant.
- Nanoshine Ltd is the company behind Ceramic Pro, a product range aimed at product based on the usage of ceramic components. ...
- Ais special product that can be used to hide surface imperfections without removing them. This oily product will literally fill in the microscopic gaps and make the surface look shiny and without any swirls. It is popular with people who don't have a lot of time, but do want a good shine....
- Washing your microfiber towels with a fabric softener is a very bad idea. It will clog up the microfibers, and make the microfiber loose its special properties. This guide might help you to restore them as much as possible. Even though this guide has helped several people, keep in mind that it is very likely that you'll need to replace the towels....
- Shurhold is an American manufacturer of detailing products and car care related products. The brand doesn't focus on just cars, but also boats, RV's and caravans. It is one of a few brands that offers products, machines and tools under 1 name....
- Soft99 is a Japanese manufacturer of cleaning products. Although they are most famous for their Soft99 Fusso Hybrid Wax, they also make several other products. Soft99 is the only brand that is based in Japan and has such a large customer base in Europe....
- Carpet stripes are lines in the carpet that give the impression that some parts of the carpet ar darker/lighter then the area next to it. This can be achieved by bending the fibers one way or the other. The only purpose of this is that it can look nice to some people. Customers might be impressed and like the effect....
- Cleaning a surface is not always easy. The product itself needs to be able to remove the product, but there should also be a safe method to remove the soap-dirt mixture. The cleaning pie gives insight in the factors that play a role in cleaning....
- Cleaning a dashboard is no rocket science, but there are tips and tricks that can make the job a little easier. Some will help to clean easier, others will prevent you having to clean another area later on....