It is often asked on detailing fora and social media: “what is the best glass cleaner”. Off course there is a difference between certain products and brands, but it is important to know what you are asking. In this guide I will try to explain what the problem is with this question unless it is asked more in-depth.
The general problem
When somebody asks what the best shampoo is, they are not letting other people know what they mean with “best”. A shampoo is developed with several characteristics in mind. It has to be slick, good soluble in water, good cleaning properties, wax/sealant-safe and several more. These properties can be very different between products and/or brands. In the question “What is the best shampoo”, it is nowhere specified if that person is looking for a shampoo that is very slick, if it just smells nice or if it is the least protection-affecting.
So it is almost impossible to give an answer.
What to keep in mind when you ask the question
Many detailers are searching for a certain product that offers good quality. This could mean that they are looking for a cheap product, one that smells good, etc. Before you ask the question which product is the best it is important to know what you are looking for. Are you looking for a wax that offers mainly gloss? Or is easy to buff off? Or one that offers as much gloss?
It is important to know what you are looking for, and to know that there will be cases in which 2 properties can not be combined. A shampoo that is really awesome at washing away stubborn grease can not be wax safe. Simply because you need a certain harshness to remove the grease, harshness that is more then the wax can handle. Even sealants are likely to be affected by this.
A list of things to consider
Here is a list of properties you might consider including in your question. These can be your own preferences, or just things you find important. This list is simply made to help you find out what you exactly want to ask, so you will get better answers that suit your search.
- Easy to use
- Leaves stripes/streaks
- Smells good
- Size of bottle
- Removes oil, nicotine etc.
- Alcohol or polymer based
- When you ask a detailer for a starter pack, they will often begin with 2 buckets and a proper washmitt. But why? What's so special about a washmitt that you need to have it? A washmitt is essential in taken care of your vehicle in a way that will minimize the amount of surface imperfections you create....
- Underbody cleaning is the act of cleaning the underside of the car to remove any dirt and restore the looks as when the car was new. This is a tedious and labor intensive job, but good cleaning products and tools can help to make it easier....
- Microtext is an Asian manufacturer of products aimed at automotive detailing and general car care. The brand has not reached much customers in Europe yet, but has been in business since before 2010....
- An applicator pad is a small round tool that can be used to apply a liquid or paste product. It is often made of a foam-like material, but can also be made from microfibre or random fabric. ...
- Commandant is a (from origin) Dutch manufacturer of car care products. The company is now owned by Valma, another Dutch care care manufacturer. The brand is known for their cleaner paste products....
- It is often asked on detailing fora and social media: "what is the best washmitt". Off course there is a difference between certain products and brands, but it is important to know what you are asking. In this guide I will try to explain what the problem is with this question unless it is asked more in-depth....