A pre-wax cleaner is a product that helps to prepare the surface for a layer of wax, the effects the product can have can differ from just preparation by cleaning, to filling swirls (like a ) and leaving an oily residue for added gloss.
- 1 Why the use of a pre-wax cleaner
- 2 The effect of a pre-wax cleaner
- 3 How does a pre-wax cleaner look
- 4 When to use a pre-wax cleaner
Why the use of a pre-wax cleaner
After washing and decontaminating the surface, the surface might not yet be optimized for the application of wax. For wax to bond properly, it needs a clean surface. Oils are often not that much of a problem since the wax product contains oils of itself. To many oils however, can prevent the wax from hazing quick enough and in some extreme cases it can even prevent the wax from bonding. This risk is much greater with a sealant or coating, than with a wax. A pre-wax cleaner can be used to prepare the surface for a layer of wax, if the wax and the pre-wax cleaner are made by the same manufacturer, chances are that the polymers are aimed at working together. This allows from cross-polymer bonding and will help the wax to perform better and sometimes also to last longer.
The effect of a pre-wax cleaner
In general there are 3 ways a pre-wax cleaner can work. These properties can be combined into 1 product.
Cleaning the surface (technical)
This type of pre-wax cleaner removes oils and some other light residue. This is often based on an oily solvent such as orange-oil (limonene). It helps the wax to bond properly by removing residue from the surface, and leaving behind a clean and uncontaminated surface. Note that this does not work as clay. And does not remove regular contamination is the wax clay does. The effect of this product is mostly technical, because it won’t necessarily make the wax perform better or make it look better.
Filling swirls and/or giving a very light (chemical) polish (cosmetic)
This type of cleaner will act more like a or very light polish. It is rough enough to either remove marring, or to fill marring and light swirls with thicker oils. The residue from this product will stay behind in the tiny gaps that are the swirls and/or marring, and will make them much less noticeable. This type of effect is mostly cosmetic. It won’t necessarily make the wax perform better or last for longer, but it will make the end result look better. If both products are from the same manufacturer, there is a chance that it is designed to bond. The cross-polymer bonding will help the wax to perform better.
Leaving oily residue (practical)
Some pre-wax cleaner are just designed to make the application of wax more easy. A perfectly clean surface might not be very slick. The application of this type of product will make the surface much more slick, which in turn makes the application of wax a fair bit easier. The cosmetic or technical effect is very small, and often hardly noticeable. But the practical effect can make the application easier.
Although these are separate properties, these properties can be combined into one product, however it is very difficult for a manufacturer to make them work in an even quantity.
How does a pre-wax cleaner look
This product is often fairly liquid, with a viscosity similar to polish. In structure, it is similar to a . It is usually sold in bottles. It can have added coloring and/or fragrance to make it nicerwax, pre-wax, cleaner, protection, surface, imperfection, to work with.
When to use a pre-wax cleaner
The pre-wax cleaner is designed to be applied just before applying wax. In most cases there is no need to use a if a pre-wax cleaner is being used. The application can be done with a machine and a very soft finishing pad or by hand with an application pad.
- Mechanical decontamination is the opposite of chemical decontamination. Whereas chemical decontamination removes contamination from a surface without any physical interaction, mechanical decontamination doesn't require any chemicals and relies solely on physical interaction. ...
- An enzyme cleaner is a strong organic cleaner that doesn't use chemicals to clean, but is based on organic ingredients. The advantage should be that any residue is environmental-friendly and is not harmful for animal and/or children. Whether the products are more or less effective then their chemical counterparts is a topic of discussion....
- Nasiol is a Turkish manufacturer of detailing products, they are very unique in their history and origin. The products they offer are concentrated around the use of synthetic products and nano-technologie....
- The one bucket method is the most used method of washing a car, but is also the least recommended way of washing the car. In this method the user only uses 1 bucket, which doesn't allow for much rinsing of the sponge/washmitt....
- Carspünk is a manufacturer of detailing products from the United Kingdom. They offer cleaning, washing and protection products for automobile maintenance. They also have a merchandise clothing line available on their webshop....
- Underbody cleaning is the act of cleaning the underside of the car to remove any dirt and restore the looks as when the car was new. This is a tedious and labor intensive job, but good cleaning products and tools can help to make it easier....