A pre-wax cleaner is a product that helps to prepare the surface for a layer of wax, the effects the product can have can differ from just preparation by cleaning, to filling swirls (like a ) and leaving an oily residue for added gloss.
- 1 Why the use of a pre-wax cleaner
- 2 The effect of a pre-wax cleaner
- 3 How does a pre-wax cleaner look
- 4 When to use a pre-wax cleaner
Why the use of a pre-wax cleaner
After washing and decontaminating the surface, the surface might not yet be optimized for the application of wax. For wax to bond properly, it needs a clean surface. Oils are often not that much of a problem since the wax product contains oils of itself. To many oils however, can prevent the wax from hazing quick enough and in some extreme cases it can even prevent the wax from bonding. This risk is much greater with a sealant or coating, than with a wax. A pre-wax cleaner can be used to prepare the surface for a layer of wax, if the wax and the pre-wax cleaner are made by the same manufacturer, chances are that the polymers are aimed at working together. This allows from cross-polymer bonding and will help the wax to perform better and sometimes also to last longer.
The effect of a pre-wax cleaner
In general there are 3 ways a pre-wax cleaner can work. These properties can be combined into 1 product.
Cleaning the surface (technical)
This type of pre-wax cleaner removes oils and some other light residue. This is often based on an oily solvent such as orange-oil (limonene). It helps the wax to bond properly by removing residue from the surface, and leaving behind a clean and uncontaminated surface. Note that this does not work as clay. And does not remove regular contamination is the wax clay does. The effect of this product is mostly technical, because it won’t necessarily make the wax perform better or make it look better.
Filling swirls and/or giving a very light (chemical) polish (cosmetic)
This type of cleaner will act more like a or very light polish. It is rough enough to either remove marring, or to fill marring and light swirls with thicker oils. The residue from this product will stay behind in the tiny gaps that are the swirls and/or marring, and will make them much less noticeable. This type of effect is mostly cosmetic. It won’t necessarily make the wax perform better or last for longer, but it will make the end result look better. If both products are from the same manufacturer, there is a chance that it is designed to bond. The cross-polymer bonding will help the wax to perform better.
Leaving oily residue (practical)
Some pre-wax cleaner are just designed to make the application of wax more easy. A perfectly clean surface might not be very slick. The application of this type of product will make the surface much more slick, which in turn makes the application of wax a fair bit easier. The cosmetic or technical effect is very small, and often hardly noticeable. But the practical effect can make the application easier.
Although these are separate properties, these properties can be combined into one product, however it is very difficult for a manufacturer to make them work in an even quantity.
How does a pre-wax cleaner look
This product is often fairly liquid, with a viscosity similar to polish. In structure, it is similar to a . It is usually sold in bottles. It can have added coloring and/or fragrance to make it nicerwax, pre-wax, cleaner, protection, surface, imperfection, to work with.
When to use a pre-wax cleaner
The pre-wax cleaner is designed to be applied just before applying wax. In most cases there is no need to use a if a pre-wax cleaner is being used. The application can be done with a machine and a very soft finishing pad or by hand with an application pad.
- Definitive Wax is a manufacturer of car care supplies from Norfolk, UK. The brand is known for their various wax creation. Definitive Wax is known for aiming at the more exclusive and bespoke side of detailing products....
- Kisho Corporation is a Japanese manufacturer of automotive coatings that have been in business since 1965 and is located in Hyogo prefecture. The company started out as a manufacturer of cosmetic and detergent products but have moved into car care products since 1970....
- There is a lot of confusion between detailing and valeting. Some people think there is a certain difference, other people think they are the same. The difference between these 2 has always been a big part of discussion....
- Ais special product that can be used to hide surface imperfections without removing them. This oily product will literally fill in the microscopic gaps and make the surface look shiny and without any swirls. It is popular with people who don't have a lot of time, but do want a good shine....
- Convertibles come in 2 types, the ones with a hard roof (hard top) and the ones with a fabric roof (soft top). The fabric on a soft top needs to be cleaned and protected, just like paintwork. ...
- JUGÅ is a small Norwegian wax manufacturer that hand blends products. The brand is fairly new and has only gathered attention recently. A few of their products are being sold via MADCOW and have been available via resellers in several places around the world....