Ceramic coatings are very strong forms of protection, but they are not eternal. Eventually they need to be removed in order to prepare the surface for a brand new application of protection. This means the entire layer of ceramic coatings need to be removed.
Why remove a ceramic coating
A ceramic coating is very hard, and unlike a wax or sealant is capable of offering a solid form of protection for a very long time. Several manufacturers claim a level of protection that will last longer then a year. However, they will not last a lifetime. This means the product will need to be removed eventually in order to prepare the surface for a new form of protection. Not removing the worn layer of ceramic coating can prevent the new product from adhering or bonding with the surface properly, which negatively effects the durability. Before applying a new form of protection it is advised to remove the old product completely first. Most products work best on bare paintwork.
Potential problem when removing a ceramic coating
A ceramic coating has earned its name because some of the ingredients used in the manufacturing are similar or the same as ingredients that are being used in the creation of pottery glaze. A very common ingredients is SiO2 and Si3D. These silicates are know for being very hard once fully cured. This offers a very strong form of protection for any surface it is applied on. This level of hardness is also the problem when removing. Because most regular clays and finishing polish have very little effect on the hard surface. Certain chemicals (especially acidic ones) don’t have much effect on it either. This makes the removal of the product a bit more difficult. Wax and sealant can generally be removed with nothing more then clay and a finishing polish, but ceramic coatings often need a medium polish at minimum to be removed.
Different ways to remove ceramic coatings
There are a few different ways to remove a coating. This is mainly dependent on the level of dirt and contamination. In some cases the manufacturer can give advise on how the product can be removed in the best way. A few manufacturers have designed products especially to remove their products.
Although ceramic coating have very good chemical resistance for most chemicals, they are not very strong against alkaline products. It is not clear if these are capable of removing the entire product, but they are know to damage the surface layer and negatively effecting their performance. It should be noted that a product that is chemical enough to remove a ceramic coating, can be strong enough to damage the paintwork underneath as well.
Claying alone is not likely to be enough, but it should have an effect on the coating. Especially when the coating is a bit worn, it should be possible to remove a large part of the product from the surface.
It is widely believed that polishing is the most trusted way to remove a ceramic coating from the surface. This will also help to prepare the surface for the new product and remove certain imperfections.
On of the largest downsides with any protective product, is that it is not possible to visually see whether a product has been removed completely or not. Even water behavior that would indicate the absence of a product could just be due to certain oils being left on the surface.
- Autobrite Direct is a manufacturer and reseller of detailing products and equipment. The company is based in Staffordshire, United Kingdom and is established around 2003. The company also offers detailing courses and complete car care packages....
- Autosmart is one of the biggest suppliers of car cleaning products and materials, which are mostly supplied just to professionals and other businesses. The company aims at formulating large quantities which push production costs down. Autosmart is almost being sold worldwide and is based in Staffordshire, United Kingdom....
- The one bucket method is the most used method of washing a car, but is also the least recommended way of washing the car. In this method the user only uses 1 bucket, which doesn't allow for much rinsing of the sponge/washmitt....
- The two-bucket method is possibly to most known and most used technique used by detailers and professionals, to wash a vehicle. It is one of 3 different types of washing a vehicle that are widely considered to be safe and correct ways of cleaning a surface....
- Surfactants are additives for certain products to lower the surface tension of a liquid. This helps the liquid to mix and combine with another substance, making it easier to combine a mixture of several (types of) substances. This acts as an emulsion, wetting-agent, detergent, foaming agent and/or dispersants. Surfactants combine hydrophobic and hydrophilic properties, which allows them to interact with both types....
- Sensha is one of only a few detailing product manufacturers from Australia. The company is located in Sydney but has its origin in Japan since 1997, and offers a wide range of products for carwashes, valeting and detailing....