It is often asked on detailing fora and social media: “what is the best microfibre towel”. Off course there is a difference between certain products and brands, but it is important to know what you are asking. In this guide I will try to explain what the problem is with this question unless it is asked more in-depth.
The general problem
When somebody asks what the best shampoo is, they are not letting other people know what they mean with “best”. A shampoo is developed with several characteristics in mind. It has to be slick, good soluble in water, good cleaning properties, wax/sealant-safe and several more. These properties can be very different between products and/or brands. In the question “What is the best shampoo”, it is nowhere specified if that person is looking for a shampoo that is very slick, if it just smells nice or if it is the least protection-affecting.
So it is almost impossible to give an answer.
What to keep in mind when you ask the question
Many detailers are searching for a certain product that offers good quality. This could mean that they are looking for a cheap product, one that smells good, etc. Before you ask the question which product is the best it is important to know what you are looking for. Are you looking for a wax that offers mainly gloss? Or is easy to buff off? Or one that offers as much gloss?
It is important to know what you are looking for, and to know that there will be cases in which 2 properties can not be combined. A shampoo that is really awesome at washing away stubborn grease can not be wax safe. Simply because you need a certain harshness to remove the grease, harshness that is more then the wax can handle. Even sealants are likely to be affected by this.
A list of things to consider
Here is a list of properties you might consider including in your question. These can be your own preferences, or just things you find important. This list is simply made to help you find out what you exactly want to ask, so you will get better answers that suit your search.
Micro fiber towel
- For buffing or drying
- Suede, long pile or short pile
- Amount of water it can absord
- Leaves lint
- Needs to be washed first
- Opti-Coat is an American developer of ceramic coatings located in Memphis. The company creates different types of coatings for the automotive detailing industry. The company was established by David Ghodoussi....
- The snowfoam lance is an attachment for a pressure washer that pushes water and a soap micture through a nozzle with a very fine filter in it. This makes the soap mixture foam as soon as it leaves the nozzle. The foam is sprayed over the surface you want to clean. In turn, the foam will soak the dirt, making it easier to rinse off the dirt before washing....
- When you have stone chips, you probably want to fix it. However, it is not like you can just spray paint your car again. Certain stone chips are more easy to repair then others. With a lot of practice, it can give a very good end result....
- Applying a wrap to a surface is not extremely difficult, but it needs practice and experience to do it properly. You need to able to see and feel what you have to do. Although the guide below does NOT contain everything you need to know, it can serve as a starting point. If you get better at it, you will slowly learn how to do a better job....
- Mayvinci is a British detailing products manufacturer located in Essex, UK. The company originates from 4 detailers who combined forces in their quest for products that would match the interest of the detailing and protection industry....
- Autobrite Direct is a manufacturer and reseller of detailing products and equipment. The company is based in Staffordshire, United Kingdom and is established around 2003. The company also offers detailing courses and complete car care packages....