It is often asked on detailing fora and social media: “what is the best sealant”. Off course there is a difference between certain products and brands, but it is important to know what you are asking. In this guide I will try to explain what the problem is with this question unless it is asked more in-depth.
The general problem
When somebody asks what the best shampoo is, they are not letting other people know what they mean with “best”. A shampoo is developed with several characteristics in mind. It has to be slick, good soluble in water, good cleaning properties, wax/sealant-safe and several more. These properties can be very different between products and/or brands. In the question “What is the best shampoo”, it is nowhere specified if that person is looking for a shampoo that is very slick, if it just smells nice or if it is the least protection-affecting.
So it is almost impossible to give an answer.
What to keep in mind when you ask the question
Many detailers are searching for a certain product that offers good quality. This could mean that they are looking for a cheap product, one that smells good, etc. Before you ask the question which product is the best it is important to know what you are looking for. Are you looking for a wax that offers mainly gloss? Or is easy to buff off? Or one that offers as much gloss?
It is important to know what you are looking for, and to know that there will be cases in which 2 properties can not be combined. A shampoo that is really awesome at washing away stubborn grease can not be wax safe. Simply because you need a certain harshness to remove the grease, harshness that is more then the wax can handle. Even sealants are likely to be affected by this.
A list of things to consider
Here is a list of properties you might consider including in your question. These can be your own preferences, or just things you find important. This list is simply made to help you find out what you exactly want to ask, so you will get better answers that suit your search.
- Size of ht bottle
- Good durability
- Can be used on top of wax
- Can be used on top of a coating
- High gloss or warm glow
- Good durability
- Good chemical resistance
- Easy to apply
- Easy to buff off
- Needs a buff or just a wipe
- Gtechniq is an United Kingdom based manufacturer of car detailing products that has a firm aim at the high-tech nano coatings market. They produce and sell varies detailing items and products. They also produce products for the marine, domestic and aircraft market....
- Panel wipe is a specific product that is designed to remove polish residue in order to prepare the surface for protection. This often means it has to remove oils and silicones. Most panel wipe are also good glass cleaner....
- Winter is season in the year that makes cleaning cars more difficult, and more important. The amount of dirt you accumulate will increase greatly, but cleaning it off will become more difficult. This article aims at giving you the pointers, tips and tricks to make it easier for you....
- Wax is a protective product that is used to protect a surface from outside contaminants. It is made up out of several ingredients with wax as the main ingredient....
- The minimum paint thickness is an indication that there is no paint left to polish and should be avoided as much as possible. The downside is that this thickness is difficult to monitor or measure. Going passed this minimum thickness will result in strike-through of burn-through....
- The Tornador is a special designed tool that uses compressed air to blow out dirt from a certain surface. The straw inside the funnel-shaped tip makes the air rotate very quickly, making it possible to work on a much greater surface....