What is an enzyme cleaner
Written by: Vinnie van Rooij
An enzyme cleaner is a strong organic cleaner that doesn’t use chemicals to clean, but is based on organic ingredients. The advantage should be that any residue is environmental-friendly and is not harmful for animal and/or children. Whether the products are more or less effective then their chemical counterparts is a topic of discussion.
Possible advantages for using an enzyme cleaner
Enzyme cleaners are based on biologic ingredients and materials, which is not to be confused with regular/commercial cleaning products, which are mostly based on chemical ingredients. The chemical products often work on the principle of dissolving the dirt by making the particles mix with the carrier (such as water). The enzyme counterpart of the products is based on the idea that bacterias and other types of enzymes eat away the dirt. The enzyme cleaner is supposed to be a flora and fauna friendly product. Some users claim the products are often more effective then the chemical version. Although commercial grade cleaners can be made at home with reasonably simple ingredients, enzyme cleaners are not only easy to make but also use biologic material that would otherwise be thrown away. The quality and use of products such as enzyme cleaners has been a difficult topic, especially since several products are sold as enzyme cleaner, even though they are made from chemical ingredients.
Uses for an enzyme cleaner
Enzyme cleaners can be used for a large variety of jobs, just like their chemical counterparts. Enzyme cleaners are most know by consumers are a natural way to get rid of nasty odors, unwanted biological matter (such as the green spots you can have on fabric convertible roofs), or to clean material that might be used by children (kidseats). However, enzyme cleaners can generally also be used to clean grease, oil, wash fabric and clean windows. Whether these uses give the same results as when using the chemical versions of the product is a hot topic.
Make your own enzyme cleaner
It is not very difficult to make your own enzyme cleaner, the internet is filled with articles that describe the whole process. In general it is based on the fermentation of biological material and boosting the growth of the bacteria that is formed. The whole process can take several months to complete at home. The materials that are used are not dangerous and the end product should not be dangerous for living animals. However, it is still advised to keep it far away from animals, children and to mark it clearly to prevent accidental consumption. The end product should be usefull for several different types of cleaning.
Commercial enzyme cleaners
Several different manufacturers offer products that claim to be enzyme cleaners. Although these generally work to a degree, it is not always clear whether these products are actually based on biological ingredients. Several manufacturer use chemical ingredients to create a product that gives a similar result, which makes them feel it should be called an enzyme cleaner. Although the name should refer to “A cleaner based on the use of enzymes”, some manufacturers think it means “a cleaning products that removes enzymes”. Not everybody agrees on the description, so different products are being put on the markt with different ingredients.
- In the world of detailing, their are several special cleaning products. Among them is the tar remover. This is a special cleaning product to remove tar and often also glue residue. Tar can come from roads and sometimes at industrial places, it is used in asphalt roads and can be used at construction sites for roofing and some plumbing jobs. It doesn't cause damage, but shows up as ugly black spots which are notoriously difficult to remove....
- It is often asked on detailing fora and social media: "what is the best lights". Off course there is a difference between certain products and brands, but it is important to know what you are asking. In this guide I will try to explain what the problem is with this question unless it is asked more in-depth....
- An engine bay cleaner is a specific product that is designed to clean engine. This very heavy degreaser is designed to remove caked on carbon deposits, stubborn grime and dirt and caked on dust and sand....
- Convertibles come in 2 types, the ones with a hard roof (hard top) and the ones with a fabric roof (soft top). The fabric on a soft top needs to be cleaned and protected, just like paintwork. ...
- Dried up polish can be very unattractive. It is also a hardened substance that can cause surface damage when rubbed over the paintwork. Although the detailer should have removed this, it can be encountered on some jobs. Dried up wax residue can generally be approached in the same way....
- Traffic film removers are specific products, designed to do a certain task. In this case the removal of traffic film. A product like this is not difficult in its use, but caution should be taken to prevent damage, stains or other unwanted results. This guide might not apply to 100% of the products on the market, but will give you a good starting point....
[…] out any sickness, don’t worry about it too much. It’s recommended you always keep an enzyme-based cleaner so you can properly clean your living room. It will kill any odor that might get your pets to make […]
[…] all, enzymes are the same thing. What is an enzyme cleaner? Enzyme cleaners are a group of products that can help remove odors and stains differently. Enzymes […]