Vinyl is a common material used in cars. There are several objects inside or outside a car that can be made from vinyl or a vinyl base. PVC is easy to clean and maintain and is very versatile.
Why use vinyl
Vinyl is a form of polymer that is very versatile. It can be used to create many different types of materials. Technically speaking, vinyl polymers are a group of polymers derived from vinyl monomers, but in common terms, vinyl refers to polyvinyl chloride, better known as PVC. The most common polymers used in plastic is vinyl.
Examples of vinyl used in/on cars
- Polystyrene, which can be used to insulate certain pockets without the fear of adding weight
- Polyvinyl Chloride, which is the material used to create several parts inside or outside the car
- Polyvinyl acetate, which is a common part of the glue used to bond parts of the interior while manufacturing
- Many wraps are made from vinyl
- Vinyl is a large part in synthetic leather
- Vinyl can be a part of the materials used in floormats and/or carpets
There are several types of plastic used in cars, the most common one would be ABS plastic. Some manufacturers prefer to use vinyl as a material for their interior. It is very difficult to see from the outside when ABS or PVC is used.
Vinyl is very easy to clean. It has a high impact strength and shouldn’t deform quickly under stress. Even parts made from ABS offer these qualities, however ABS can deform under sun exposure, PVC doesn’t. It has a very rigid surface with a good resistance against scratches and other surface marks. An APC, degreaser and even IPA-based cleaner should not have any effect on vinyl. Simply spraying the cleaning solution on a towel, wiping the surface and drying it with another towel will often be enough. Due to the density of rigid PVC, stains, dirt and other contaminants will not bond easily with the surface, making them easy to remove.
- Although almost all wraps are made from a PVC type material (vinyl), there can be a big difference in the different types of wrap you can get. The big diversity of wraps are part of their growing succes....
- CyberClean is a putty-like product and part of the larger JOKER group. The brand creates specialized products that make removing dirt in difficult to reach areas very easy....
- Fabric protection is a form of treatment designed to prevent the fabric from suffering from contaminants. This could be in the form of liquids, dust, oil and other forms of unwanted particles that could get absorbed into the fibers of the fabric....
- Carbon Fiber is a material that is made up out of extremely thin fibers of carbon. The fibers of roughly 5 to 10 micrometer are build out of stretched carbonfibercrystals. A few thousand of these fibers are woven together to form 1 wire of carbonfiber....
- Cigarette burns of stains can be notoriously difficult to remove. The longer the stain has been there, the more difficult it gets to remove it completely. In some cases the fabric has been damaged and removing the stain isn't possible without repairing the fabric itself....
- The carpet in a vheicle can be made from different materials. Knowing what materials are used can help to determine the best way to clean these without damaging the fibers. In general, most carpets are designed to withstand use and abuse while still offering a little bit of cosmetic value....