Vinyl is a common material used in cars. There are several objects inside or outside a car that can be made from vinyl or a vinyl base. PVC is easy to clean and maintain and is very versatile.
Why use vinyl
Vinyl is a form of polymer that is very versatile. It can be used to create many different types of materials. Technically speaking, vinyl polymers are a group of polymers derived from vinyl monomers, but in common terms, vinyl refers to polyvinyl chloride, better known as PVC. The most common polymers used in plastic is vinyl.
Examples of vinyl used in/on cars
- Polystyrene, which can be used to insulate certain pockets without the fear of adding weight
- Polyvinyl Chloride, which is the material used to create several parts inside or outside the car
- Polyvinyl acetate, which is a common part of the glue used to bond parts of the interior while manufacturing
- Many wraps are made from vinyl
- Vinyl is a large part in synthetic leather
- Vinyl can be a part of the materials used in floormats and/or carpets
There are several types of plastic used in cars, the most common one would be ABS plastic. Some manufacturers prefer to use vinyl as a material for their interior. It is very difficult to see from the outside when ABS or PVC is used.
Vinyl is very easy to clean. It has a high impact strength and shouldn’t deform quickly under stress. Even parts made from ABS offer these qualities, however ABS can deform under sun exposure, PVC doesn’t. It has a very rigid surface with a good resistance against scratches and other surface marks. An APC, degreaser and even IPA-based cleaner should not have any effect on vinyl. Simply spraying the cleaning solution on a towel, wiping the surface and drying it with another towel will often be enough. Due to the density of rigid PVC, stains, dirt and other contaminants will not bond easily with the surface, making them easy to remove.
- Corrosion Technologies LLC is an American manufacturer of detailing products. The brand creates products that are used to protect paintwork from wear and tear by external elements. They own products like RejeX, Max Wax, CorrosionX and many more....
- There are 2 general ways for deep cleaning fabric. Using a vacuum cleaner (just removing surface dirt), or using a wet/dry vacuum cleaner (deep clean the fabric). When you deep clean fabric, you need to take into account that you will spent a lot more time on it....
- Alcantara can be difficult to maintain. Over time the fabric will start to show pilling, which are very small blobs of the fabric being rolled up. These are the result from rubbing over the fabric with your clothes. These are not difficult to remove if you know how....
- Although almost all wraps are made from a PVC type material (vinyl), there can be a big difference in the different types of wrap you can get. The big diversity of wraps are part of their growing succes....
- Leather is a natural product and needs to be cleaned just like any other type of surface, to maintain its look and its flexibility safely, it needs to be cleaned properly and safely....
- Dr Leather is a manufacturer of specializes leather care products. The company focuses strongly on leather, its care and maintenance. Their products can be used on car interiors but are also suited for other leather surfaces....