Vinyl is a common material used in cars. There are several objects inside or outside a car that can be made from vinyl or a vinyl base. PVC is easy to clean and maintain and is very versatile.
Why use vinyl
Vinyl is a form of polymer that is very versatile. It can be used to create many different types of materials. Technically speaking, vinyl polymers are a group of polymers derived from vinyl monomers, but in common terms, vinyl refers to polyvinyl chloride, better known as PVC. The most common polymers used in plastic is vinyl.
Examples of vinyl used in/on cars
- Polystyrene, which can be used to insulate certain pockets without the fear of adding weight
- Polyvinyl Chloride, which is the material used to create several parts inside or outside the car
- Polyvinyl acetate, which is a common part of the glue used to bond parts of the interior while manufacturing
- Many wraps are made from vinyl
- Vinyl is a large part in synthetic leather
- Vinyl can be a part of the materials used in floormats and/or carpets
There are several types of plastic used in cars, the most common one would be ABS plastic. Some manufacturers prefer to use vinyl as a material for their interior. It is very difficult to see from the outside when ABS or PVC is used.
Vinyl is very easy to clean. It has a high impact strength and shouldn’t deform quickly under stress. Even parts made from ABS offer these qualities, however ABS can deform under sun exposure, PVC doesn’t. It has a very rigid surface with a good resistance against scratches and other surface marks. An APC, degreaser and even IPA-based cleaner should not have any effect on vinyl. Simply spraying the cleaning solution on a towel, wiping the surface and drying it with another towel will often be enough. Due to the density of rigid PVC, stains, dirt and other contaminants will not bond easily with the surface, making them easy to remove.
- There are 2 general ways for deep cleaning fabric. Using a vacuum cleaner (just removing surface dirt), or using a wet/dry vacuum cleaner (deep clean the fabric). When you deep clean fabric, you need to take into account that you will spent a lot more time on it....
- Fabric protection is a form of treatment designed to prevent the fabric from suffering from contaminants. This could be in the form of liquids, dust, oil and other forms of unwanted particles that could get absorbed into the fibers of the fabric....
- Fabric protection is used to increase the lifespan of fabric by repelling as much dirt and stains as possible. It is commonly used on convertible roofs, seats, floormats and carpets. Fabric protection is most often done by applying a liquid....
- The interior of a car needs regular cleaning, the contaminants found here can be totally different from the outside, which requires different products and different ways of safely removing them. ...
- Alcantara can be difficult to maintain. Over time the fabric will start to show pilling, which are very small blobs of the fabric being rolled up. These are the result from rubbing over the fabric with your clothes. These are not difficult to remove if you know how....
- Polyol is a reference to organic compounds that contain more then 1 hydroxyl groups. In the world of detailing it mainly refers to polymer technology or nanoscience that is being used in the manufacturering process of certain products....