When you apply a protective product, that product will start to cure. At a certain point, it is ready to be buffed off. But how do you know it is ready? By doing the swipe-test.
Why do the swipe test
The right time to buff a product depends on several different factors. Humidity, temperature, oiliness of product and such can play a big role in this. With most products, it is impossible to see visually when a product is ready to be buffed off. The swipe test is a very simple but effective way of seeing when a product is at the point that is can be buffed off.
The swipe test
When a protective product is almost ready to be buffed off, you can do the swipe test.
- Wrap a piece of microfibre towel over the end of your finger.
- Swipe the area with the towel-covered finger in a similar way you would do with a touchscreen
- If the protective product is ready to be buffed off, you will see a smear-free clear swipe.
- If the product is NOT ready to be buffed, you will see an oily smear over the protected surface.
- If the product isn’t ready yet, wait a little longer and repeat the swipe test.
There are exceptions to the rule. There are a few product on the market that don’t haze at all. They don’t need to cure. You apply them, wait a certain amount of time and then just wipe them off. These are often show waxes: more gloss, less durability. Another example are some QD’s and/or spray sealants. These are applied to the surface and immediately wiped off again with another MF towel.
Hazing and curing
Hazing is the process of the film of wax turning matte, due to it drying out and loosing it’s liquid content. This takes only minutes.
Curing is the process of the wax fully hardening. This can take up to 24 hours.
- Bowden's Own is an Australian manufacturer of detailing products and offers guides, hosts events and offers a wide range of information regarding detailing in general. The company is one of a few manufacturers from Australia. ...
- WOWO's is a brand of detailing products from Glasgow, United Kingdom. The brand makes and sells detailing products varying from waxes to shampoo and other cleaners. WOWO's is fairly unique in that it is almost a one-man operation....
- iSHINE is an Arabic (Dubai) manufacturer of coatings based on nano-technology. The focus with the products manufacturerd by iSHINE lies on synthetic development and engineering of coatings for different vehicles and surfaces in the detailing industry....
- Son1c Wax was founded by Drew Elias, based in Northern Virginia, New York, America, from his enthusiastic approach towards home-brewing. What once begun as a hobby eventually evolved in a brand of high quality wax....
- Kamikaze is a Japanese manufacturer of high-end coatings that offer outstanding protection for paintwork, glass, trims, wheels and other surfaces. The brand offers a small range of premium-quality products....
- An All In One (often referred to as a AIO) product is 1 product that serves 2 (or more) goals, or works in 2 (or more) ways. This can either be a mixture of properties that result in more than 1 effect that is commonly only achieved by 2 products, or this can be mixture of products. Not all the AIO product are actually called like that. Basically, it's the opposite of a "stand-alone product", which is 1 product that is aimed at 1 task/property....