A polymers is a molecule (or large molecules) that can be used by manufacturers in order to fine-tune a product, or even to add certain properties to it. A polymer can be natural or synthetic. The synthetic group are also called: silicones.
Why the need for polymers
Polymers have a wide range of certain characteristics. These can be used in a certain product to get a certain effect. For example, a shampoo can be made more soluble by using the right polymer. Another example woud be the use of a polymer to enhance the bonding properties of a protective product. Polymers are no magical addition that can give any product, any type of property, but when used correctly, scientists can achieve remarkable improvement with polymers.
The use of a polymer
Polymers are all around us. They are used in the screen you are looking at, they are the main ingredient for plastic objects, and are even used in the soap you use to wash your dishes in. Natural polymers are very common, examples of common polymers are: silk, wool, natural rubber, amber and even cellulose. An example of a synthetic polymer would be: synthetic rubber, nylon,
Polymers play an essential part in the world around us.
Polymers and the world of detailing
Polymers can be used for many different reasons. Polymers can help to dissolve the ingredients used to make wax, or enhance the gloss from a sealant and even to clean glass more effectively. The bottles that hold the shampoo, and polish are actually made of polymers. Clay is a very good example of polymers in action.
When these polymers are synthesized they are referred to as silicones.
The science behind polymers is extensive. The amount of research done on this is very impressive. Just think of all the things the world of science had to discover before being able to create everything around us in the way/form it exists today. However, it takes a lot of knowledge and experience to understand the field of polymers thoroughly, which is one of the reasons why manufacturers use skilled chemists to develop their products. Homebrewers often struggle with this part and/or its fine-tuning.
Polymer and its bad reputation
Although the use of polymers is very old, and the knowledge of their existence as well, polymers still have a bit of a bad reputation. Some people mistake polymers with silicones and believe that these should be avoided at all cost. Other aren’t fully aware of what polymers do and just think that adding certain particles to achieve certain goals, is bad. The truth is that the world around us is full of polymers, and in many cases, the use of polymers in detailing products is not only expected, some products wouldn’t exist without them.
A few popular misconceptions on polymers are:
- They can ruin a re-spray
- They are man-made
- You can’t call a product “natural” when they are used
- They always have the same effect
- They only do one thing, and nothing more
- They need to be removed before polishing
- They should be removed before applying a coating
- They are pollutant
- Only things that start with “poly-” is a polymer
- Autosmart is one of the biggest suppliers of car cleaning products and materials, which are mostly supplied just to professionals and other businesses. The company aims at formulating large quantities which push production costs down. Autosmart is almost being sold worldwide and is based in Staffordshire, United Kingdom....
- Wolf's Chemicals is an Hungarian company that manufacturers and sells detailing products. The range varies from wax and sealants to cleaners, shampoo and dressing. Although the headquarters is based in Hungary, Wolf's Chemicals is being sold in several countries in Europe and Asia....
- Washing is the act of replacing unwanted particles/substances from a surface to a carrying medium. This act is used to clean the surface that is being washed....
- Chipex Ltd is an UK-based manufacturer of autodetailing products to repair paintdamage, restore paintwork and to remove severe imperfections in the surface of paintwork. ...
- Bowden's Own is an Australian manufacturer of detailing products and offers guides, hosts events and offers a wide range of information regarding detailing in general. The company is one of a few manufacturers from Australia. ...
- Adam's Polishes is a detailing product manufacturer from Kentucky, America. They offer a wide variety of detailing products and or only one of a few brands that offer a 100% money back guarantee. ...
- Snowfoam is a particular way of pre-cleaning before washing the car with a washmitt or similar. Snowfoam will loosen up dirt and will move a lot of the dirt when it is rinsed off....
- Commandant is a (from origin) Dutch manufacturer of car care products. The company is now owned by Valma, another Dutch care care manufacturer. The brand is known for their cleaner paste products....