Although almost all wraps are made from a PVC type material (vinyl), there can be a big difference in the different types of wrap you can get. The big diversity of wraps are part of their growing succes.
Types of different wrap
When looking at the difference between wraps there are many difference you can find. You can look at gloss or matte, quality, amount of orange peel, color, with or without glue, material etc. But the most common differences to categorize the growing world of wraps would be:
- Type of look (gloss, matte etc.)
Type of look
Glossy wrap resembles classic paintwork the most. The finish is smooth and glossy. This wrap can be made in practically every color and is often also available with metallic flakes. The orange peel will be more significant then normal paint work.
There are 2 types of wraps in this form: 1. a wrap with the brushed texture and 2. a wrap with a print of a brushed material. The first version will look the most authentic because it will have much less of a sharp reflection (which is typical for the brushed look).
There are 2 types of wraps in this form: 1. a wrap with the carbon texture in and on it and 2. a wrap with the looks of carbon printed on the surface. Both can be made glossy of matte.
A custom print can have any image printed on the wrap. This can be things like the look of a rusted surface, a flag, text, a certain type of material or effect etc. These can be made in matte and glossy.
Cut out shape
Often referred to as decals or stickers, but are essentially the same as a car wrap. A machine cuts out a certain shape from the vinyl wrap. The shape is then applied to the surface in a similar way to applying a wrap.
There can be a very big difference in quality between different wraps and different manufacturers. Some wraps are not very glossy, are show huge amounts of orange peel. Others don’t stick well to the surface underneath or suffer greatly from UV damage. It can be very much worth it to invest in a proper wrap manufacturer. Certain brands have a very good reputation. They might cost a bit more, but you’ll achieve a better effect for longer and with less problems. A cheap wrap can suffer from bubbles that are difficult to remove, leaves residue after removal or is so thin that it can tear when applying.
- It is often asked on detailing fora and social media: "what is the best pressure washer". Off course there is a difference between certain products and brands, but it is important to know what you are asking. In this guide I will try to explain what the problem is with this question unless it is asked more in-depth....
- Priming pads can help you to achieve good polishing results the first time, and will make the polishing slightly easier. To prime a pad isn't mandatory, but like anything else in the world of detailing, it is good practice to start the job properly....
- Tire dressing is made to restore faded black rubber. After a car has been detailed, you want the car to look spotless in every way. You cleaned the arches, the wheels, washed the car and even gave it a new coat of wax. In that case, you also want the tires to look deep, dark black. A tire dressing is an (mostly) oily product that helps to bring back the deep dark color or rubber....
- Spit shining is an old technique used by shoe-polishers to get amazing results. This technique can also be used with applying wax on cars. The technique needs some practice to master properly, but can give amazing results....
- It is often asked on detailing fora and social media: "what is the best leather protector". Off course there is a difference between certain products and brands, but it is important to know what you are asking. In this guide I will try to explain what the problem is with this question unless it is asked more in-depth....
- Paint can be repaired in several different ways. Some of these paint repair techniques can be done by most people, others should only be done by professional painters. The method needed to fix the paint depends on the severity of the paint imperfection. Some forms of repair are most expensive then others....