What types of wrap are there
Written by: Vinnie van Rooij
Although almost all wraps are made from a PVC type material (vinyl), there can be a big difference in the different types of wrap you can get. The big diversity of wraps are part of their growing succes.
Types of different wrap
When looking at the difference between wraps there are many difference you can find. You can look at gloss or matte, quality, amount of orange peel, color, with or without glue, material etc. But the most common differences to categorize the growing world of wraps would be:
- Type of look (gloss, matte etc.)
Type of look
There are several different types of look you can get with a wrap. You can get a matte wrap, a very glossy one or even a custom print. What types of wrap are there?
Glossy wrap resembles classic paintwork the most. The finish is smooth and glossy. This wrap can be made in practically every color and is often also available with metallic flakes. The orange peel will be more significant then normal paint work.
Satin wrap is more glossy then matte, but not completely glossy. You don’t see clear reflections in the surface, but you will see more light reflected then with a matte wrap.
A matte wrap is more matte then a satin wrap and will show very little reflection. It is however fairly uncommon, which is something a good reason for people to go for this finish.
There are 2 types of wraps in this form: 1. a wrap with the brushed texture and 2. a wrap with a print of a brushed material. The first version will look the most authentic because it will have much less of a sharp reflection (which is typical for the brushed look).
There are 2 types of wraps in this form: 1. a wrap with the carbon texture in and on it and 2. a wrap with the looks of carbon printed on the surface. Both can be made glossy of matte.
A custom print can have any image printed on the wrap. This can be things like the look of a rusted surface, a flag, text, a certain type of material or effect etc. These can be made in matte and glossy.
Cut out shape
Often referred to as decals or stickers, but are essentially the same as a car wrap. A machine cuts out a certain shape from the vinyl wrap. The shape is then applied to the surface in a similar way to applying a wrap.
There can be a very big difference in quality between different wraps and different manufacturers. Some wraps are not very glossy, are show huge amounts of orange peel. Others don’t stick well to the surface underneath or suffer greatly from UV damage. It can be very much worth it to invest in a proper wrap manufacturer. Certain brands have a very good reputation. They might cost a bit more, but you’ll achieve a better effect for longer and with less problems. A cheap wrap can suffer from bubbles that are difficult to remove, leaves residue after removal or is so thin that it can tear when applying.
- When you ask a detailer for a starter pack, they will often begin with 2 buckets and a proper washmitt. But why? What's so special about a washmitt that you need to have it? A washmitt is essential in taken care of your vehicle in a way that will minimize the amount of surface imperfections you create....
- The pencil scale is a test of hardness that gives an impression on how hard a certain coating is. The test is done by pressing a pencil with a certain hardness firmly on the surface on a 45 degrees angle. The highest grade that does not make permantently mark the surface is the score for the pencil scale....
- Wiper judder refers to "jumping" wipers that shake/jump/judder when moving over the windscreen. The rubber from the windscreen wiper sticks to the glass surface even though the wiper arm continues to move. The rubber "jumps" over the surface instead of gliding smoothly over the glass....
- Ceramic coatings are very strong forms of protection, but they are not eternal. Eventually they need to be removed in order to prepare the surface for a brand new application of protection. This means the entire layer of ceramic coatings need to be removed....
- Carbon Fiber is a material that is made up out of extremely thin fibers of carbon. The fibers of roughly 5 to 10 micrometer are build out of stretched carbonfibercrystals. A few thousand of these fibers are woven together to form 1 wire of carbonfiber....
- Paint can be repaired in several different ways. Some of these paint repair techniques can be done by most people, others should only be done by professional painters. The method needed to fix the paint depends on the severity of the paint imperfection. Some forms of repair are most expensive then others....
[…] will want to work with a variety of different ideas and concepts. There are so many different types of car wraps out there. There are simple ones that you can get for a reasonable price; and then there are more […]