Kevin Brown Method: The procedure for paint defect removal
Written by: Vinnie van Rooij
For removing defects with the Kevin Brown Method we first apply a massive amount of the finishing polish on the pad and massage it in. This is to prime your pad properly, so that the product covers the hole face of the pad. It should colour the pad to the point you reach saturation of the strings, but without accumulations in the pores of the pad. When you prime the pad in this way, it increases the surface area in contact with the paint surface drastically. That is one of the reasons why pad priming is important.
Now you apply some of the product directly on the surface that needs to be polished. You applied enough of the product so that the strings are partially covered in product. It’s too much product when you create splashes and sling when turning the machine on. The purpose of this step is to minimize the negative effects of paint residue build-up.
The pad should be placed directly on top of the amount of product on the surface. Start polishing with a low speed setting. Adjust the speed setting until the machine starts to float along smoothly. When that happens, adjust the speed until the backing plate is rotating about 1-4 turns per second and move the machine one inch per second. No extra pressure on of the machine is needed. It’s important to polish a small section of paint, so that the residue accumulates slow.
During the polishing procedure the panel should be regularly cleaned, this moment is also to check if there is an obvious reduction in defects. If the area is not clear of defects, you should make subsequent passes until you’re satisfied with the result.
When you make a subsequent pass for more results, but the painted surface feels dry or sticky, then the reason could be the accumulation of paint residue. There are 3 options to fix this:
- Use a wetting agent: Mist the panel with water, this will break apart the accumulation of product and add moisture to the mix. This also extends the length of a buffing cycle.
- Apply an additional dose of product. When it’s still dry or sticky, your pad should be cleaned.
- Clean your pad. You can best clean your pad with compressed air. If that is not available, use a clean microfiber towel to rub the pad clean.
- The last option is to take a clean pad.
The Kevin Brown procedure for removing paint defects is an out-of-the-box method that can give us a stunning polishing result. In this procedure pad priming is very important. You should prime the whole face of the pad with enough saturation of the strings. If you prime your pad properly, you can increase the surface area between the pad and the paint a lot. We’re not only priming the pad, but also applying a small amount of liquid directly on the paint surface. This method causes for a good contact area and will prevent paint residue that otherwise negatively influences your polishing session.
- Klin Korea (also written as "Kl!n Korea") is a South Korean manufacturer of towels, cleaning supplies and various microfiber products. The brand has been active through resellers and distributors over the world and is mostly known for their large drying towels....
- A random orbital and its different settings can affect your performance in a great way. A couple of big issues that influence the polishing performance are the speed, stroke size and pressure. But first some general information about the machine....
- Autoglym is an English manufacturer of detailing products. They have been active for a long time and have a very wide range of products. They even have a special line of products for the professional user....
- A primed pad will outperform a non-primed pad in cutting. So a primed pad should give a great polishing result on your car, but prime your pad for the goal you’re looking for....
- There are many different steps you can take while detailing. A maintenance wash has different steps than a deep-clean wash or a 3 stage polish. In this guide I will give a very general idea on the order of those steps. More in-depth articles regarding every step will follow. This articles serves to give people a quick overview....
- Using a pressure washer to clean your car isn't difficult, but it helps to keep certain practices in mind to prevent any problem. A pressure washer isn't always mandatory, but it could help to speeds up the process....
Links to this articleThere are no external links to this article. Yet.