Commandant is a (from origin) Dutch manufacturer of car care products. The company is now owned by Valma, another Dutch care care manufacturer. The brand is known for their cleaner paste products.
Commandant and Valma
Commandant was born in the 1930’s, and originates from The Netherlands. After Valma bought the company, the brand fell under the Valma umbrella, making it (technically) a Belgium brand. Most of the older Dutch and/or Belgium people will know Commandant as most people has at list 1 tin of their products in their garage. The most popular product has been Cleaner No. 4 for many years. This cleaning paste acts as a pre-wax cleaner without the wax content. It contains very light abrasive particles, Glaze-oils and leaves a nice shine. The finish should be topped up with a protective product afterwards.
There has been little change in the brand or the products for many years.
Commandant makes a small range of products which includes a polish, a cleaner, a liquid wax and a compound. The products are very easy to recognize by their numbers. If they label shows the following number, it is aimed at the job next to it.
|7||Protective product (wax)|
*1, 2, 6 are not in use.
Commandant doesn’t have its own website, nor is it active on Facebook or other social media. Commandant is sold by many shops that deal with paint and/or car care. It is very rarely seen on detailing events or meetings.
- A polish is an abrasive or chemical product that is mostly used to remove surface defects by removing a very thin layer of the product. If the removed layer is the same thickness as the depth of the surface defect, you will end up with a smooth surface that will not have a surface defect anymore. Many polishes are liquid, but not all. There are also polish-paste products....
- Paintwork can, in some cases, become oxidized. Making it turn matte and slightly fade color. If untreated, it can eventually cause the lacquer and/or paintwork to completely fail. It is most common on red cars, but it can happen with every color....
- Autoglym is an English manufacturer of detailing products. They have been active for a long time and have a very wide range of products. They even have a special line of products for the professional user....
- A Last Step Product (LSP) is the product that you use in the last step of detailing. This is the "protection" part of detailing. The term is often used by people telling or asking what product was used to protect the achieved finish after a small or large detailing session. As abbreviations are popular, this term quickly become shortened into: LSP....
- The term protection is used in autodetailing to refer to a product that is used to prevent damage to a surface, regardless if that damage is caused by liquids, solids or even gasses. These forms of protection come in many forms and shapes....
- Torque Detail is an American manufacturer of detailing products, established by Frank Mitchell. The company creates products such as Mirror Shine and Ceramic Shine since 2009 after a carreer in flipping cars and detailing vehicles....