Leather itself has to withstand a lot of abuse over the years. Jeans rubbing over it, dirty clothes, UV, high temperatures, low temperatures, dry air, humid air, liquids, chemicals etc. To keep the leather looking fresh and prevent it from drying out, a leather protection can be used.
If leather is not properly protected, it will fade, crack, tear or degrade in another form or way. Since leather already has to put up with a lot of abuse, you want it to be well protected against use and simple age.
Leather, just like your own skin, needs maintenance to keep it flexible and looking fresh. To protect the leather in between regular maintenance, a protection can be applied to help it fight daily use and abuse.
Can I just use anything
There are certain products on the market to protect leather, all have their own properties. The opinion on what product should be used differs greatly from person to person. Some are convinced that synthetic polymer technology is the only way, others believe that simple old leather-wax is the only way to go. For a professional detailer, cost also comes into play. Can this form of protection be applied without having to charge the customer ridiculous amounts of money?
To determine what product is best, you really should evaluate many different variables.
- What price are you looking for?
- How much protection is needed (just a top up, or a restoration?)
- What are the properties you need from the protection?
- Do you have any tools you might need to apply the product?
- How will the leather be maintained?
- Is it real leather? or PU leather?
- Do you prefer old style products?
- Do you prefer new technology?
These variables might help you to guide you in the right direction.
There are several different types of protective products for leather. The properties can not only differ per type of product, but even between brands. Therefore it is very difficult to predict what properties a certain product will have.
- Natural spray-on (liquid)
- Synthetic spray-on (liquid or spray-can)
- Leather oil (thick liquid)
- Leather wax (paste form)
- Leather coating (potentially based on SiO2 technology)
- Leather cream ((thick) liquid)
- Ceramic Pro is the productline created by Nanoshine Ltd. Ceramic Pro consists out of pure ceramic type products, including a ceramic coating for automobile and marine.'...
- The refractometer is a device that makes it possible to measure the amount of affect a substance has on the direction of light. As light goes from one substrate into another, the light can bend slightly. This can be measured with the refractometer....
- Many detailers will post up pictures of their vehicle showing great beads, and then claim their layer of protection is very old. However, that doesn't add up. When a wax is a few months old, it doesn't bead very good anymore, and that is normal. So how did this person manage to use a normal wax and get such great beads after all that time? Because he used a QD!...
- It is often asked on detailing fora and social media: "what is the best sprayhead". Off course there is a difference between certain products and brands, but it is important to know what you are asking. In this guide I will try to explain what the problem is with this question unless it is asked more in-depth....
- The two-bucket method is possibly to most known and most used technique used by detailers and professionals, to wash a vehicle. It is one of 3 different types of washing a vehicle that are widely considered to be safe and correct ways of cleaning a surface....
- It is often asked on detailing fora and social media: "what is the best polish". Off course there is a difference between certain products and brands, but it is important to know what you are asking. In this guide I will try to explain what the problem is with this question unless it is asked more in-depth....