Leather itself has to withstand a lot of abuse over the years. Jeans rubbing over it, dirty clothes, UV, high temperatures, low temperatures, dry air, humid air, liquids, chemicals etc. To keep the leather looking fresh and prevent it from drying out, a leather protection can be used.
If leather is not properly protected, it will fade, crack, tear or degrade in another form or way. Since leather already has to put up with a lot of abuse, you want it to be well protected against use and simple age.
Leather, just like your own skin, needs maintenance to keep it flexible and looking fresh. To protect the leather in between regular maintenance, a protection can be applied to help it fight daily use and abuse.
Can I just use anything
There are certain products on the market to protect leather, all have their own properties. The opinion on what product should be used differs greatly from person to person. Some are convinced that synthetic polymer technology is the only way, others believe that simple old leather-wax is the only way to go. For a professional detailer, cost also comes into play. Can this form of protection be applied without having to charge the customer ridiculous amounts of money?
To determine what product is best, you really should evaluate many different variables.
- What price are you looking for?
- How much protection is needed (just a top up, or a restoration?)
- What are the properties you need from the protection?
- Do you have any tools you might need to apply the product?
- How will the leather be maintained?
- Is it real leather? or PU leather?
- Do you prefer old style products?
- Do you prefer new technology?
These variables might help you to guide you in the right direction.
There are several different types of protective products for leather. The properties can not only differ per type of product, but even between brands. Therefore it is very difficult to predict what properties a certain product will have.
- Natural spray-on (liquid)
- Synthetic spray-on (liquid or spray-can)
- Leather oil (thick liquid)
- Leather wax (paste form)
- Leather coating (potentially based on SiO2 technology)
- Leather cream ((thick) liquid)
- What are All In One ( ) productsAn All In One (often referred to as a) product is 1 product that serves 2 (or more) goals, or works in 2 (or more) ways. This can either be a mixture of properties that result in more than 1 effect that is commonly only achieved by 2 products, or this can be mixture of products. Not all the product are actually called like that. Basically, it's the opposite of a "stand-alone product", which is 1 product that is aimed at 1 task/property....
- Just a couple of videos describing the claying process... The purpose of clay is to remove bonded contaminants that are stuck to the paintwork, and these two videos demonstrate typical claying technique on a small section of paintwork. Ensure you use plenty of lubrication and no pressure when claying to avoid leaving marring in the finish....
- A tonneau is an area in a vehicle that protects any passengers and is often covered by a soft or hard cover. The tonneau can be compared with a truck bed and has many different names. Modern cars don't really have the structure to correctly use this term....
- Cleaning a surface is not always easy. The product itself needs to be able to remove the product, but there should also be a safe method to remove the soap-dirt mixture. The cleaning pie gives insight in the factors that play a role in cleaning....
- Paintwork can, in some cases, become oxidized. Making it turn matte and slightly fade color. If untreated, it can eventually cause the lacquer and/or paintwork to completely fail. It is most common on red cars, but it can happen with every color....
- MADCOW is an UK based manufacturer of detailing products. The brand was founded in 2013 and has been spreading its products over various countries in Europe. It recently found a distributor in America as well....