Leather itself has to withstand a lot of abuse over the years. Jeans rubbing over it, dirty clothes, UV, high temperatures, low temperatures, dry air, humid air, liquids, chemicals etc. To keep the leather looking fresh and prevent it from drying out, a leather protection can be used.
If leather is not properly protected, it will fade, crack, tear or degrade in another form or way. Since leather already has to put up with a lot of abuse, you want it to be well protected against use and simple age.
Leather, just like your own skin, needs maintenance to keep it flexible and looking fresh. To protect the leather in between regular maintenance, a protection can be applied to help it fight daily use and abuse.
Can I just use anything
There are certain products on the market to protect leather, all have their own properties. The opinion on what product should be used differs greatly from person to person. Some are convinced that synthetic polymer technology is the only way, others believe that simple old leather-wax is the only way to go. For a professional detailer, cost also comes into play. Can this form of protection be applied without having to charge the customer ridiculous amounts of money?
To determine what product is best, you really should evaluate many different variables.
- What price are you looking for?
- How much protection is needed (just a top up, or a restoration?)
- What are the properties you need from the protection?
- Do you have any tools you might need to apply the product?
- How will the leather be maintained?
- Is it real leather? or PU leather?
- Do you prefer old style products?
- Do you prefer new technology?
These variables might help you to guide you in the right direction.
There are several different types of protective products for leather. The properties can not only differ per type of product, but even between brands. Therefore it is very difficult to predict what properties a certain product will have.
- Natural spray-on (liquid)
- Synthetic spray-on (liquid or spray-can)
- Leather oil (thick liquid)
- Leather wax (paste form)
- Leather coating (potentially based on SiO2 technology)
- Leather cream ((thick) liquid)
- Finish Kare is a detailing products manufacturer that started out creating mold release products. The step into car wax for protective purposes was a small change that was easy enough to make. The brand now offers a small range of cleaning, polishing, protecting and perfecting surfaces for both car and marine detailing....
- MADCOW is an UK based manufacturer of detailing products. The brand was founded in 2013 and has been spreading its products over various countries in Europe. It recently found a distributor in America as well....
- Westhill Trading Ltd is an English manufacturer of products used in detailing and valeting. Among others, Westhill Trading is the company behind Colourlock, known for cleaning, restoring and coloring leather surfaces. The company used to be called Westhill Properties Ltd up until Februari 2015....
- Microfiber Madness is a manufacturer of microfiber products. They specialize in towels and cloths and focus on creating high standard products that are the best in their field....
- Claylube is a specific liquid that helps to lubricate the surface when claying. Without this lube, the clay will leave a lot of marring due to it being fairly rough and having a very high level of friction when moving....
- Just like you can use detailing products in your house, you can use household product with detailing. Although it pays to know when you can use them....