What is panel wipe
Written by: Vinnie van Rooij
Panel wipe is a specific product that is designed to remove polish residue in order to prepare the surface for protection. This often means it has to remove oils and silicones. Most panel wipe are also good glass cleaner.
The need for panel wipe
Panel wipe is needed to prepare the surface for another product. For example: when you want to apply a wax, sealant or coating to a surface. After polishing there will be some product left over on the surface, and this can prevent some products from adhering properly. In real terms this means that the durability and stability of the product is negatively affected. Instead of a few months, a sealant might only last a few weeks. In case of coatings, this is especially important. It can make the difference between 12 months of protection or 2 months of protection.
Although a panel wipe doesn’t have to be of the same ingredient, most are based on solvents. IPA is a popular panel wipe and is based on a form of alcohol. This is also the basis for several types of glass cleaner. The point is that the solvent removes any grease or oils allowing it to be wiped off. The residue of the panel wipe will just evaporate without leaving any traces.
Even panel wipes that are water based work with certain polymers that mimic the effect of a solvent, giving the same effect with difference ingredients.
Most panel wipes are also the basis for a glass cleaner. So if you’re short of a glass cleaner, use your panel wipe.
Please not that not all panel wipes are designed to remove all residue. There are a few products on the markt that have the words panel wipe on the label, but actually prepare the surface for wax. It doesn’t prepare for sealants and/or coatings.
Panel wipe comes in liquid form, ready from the bottle, as a concentrate or even as wet cloths.
- A polymers is a molecule (or large molecules) that can be used by manufacturers in order to fine-tune a product, or even to add certain properties to it. Polymers can be natural or synthetic. The synthetic group are also called: silicones....
- CARTEC bv is one of only a few Dutch detailing products manufacturers and is based in Benthuizen, The Netherlands. The company mainly operates within The Netherlands and Belgium, but the brand has been seen outside of these countries winthin Europe. The products are offered both in large packaging and smaller, consumer based, bottles....
- Fabric protection is used to increase the lifespan of fabric by repelling as much dirt and stains as possible. It is commonly used on convertible roofs, seats, floormats and carpets. Fabric protection is most often done by applying a liquid....
- A sealant is protective product that is made up out of polymers. If they contain wax, they are considered hybrids. Sealants come in several different types and are the step between natural wax and completely synthetic protective products....
- A fallout remover is a special product aimed at decontamination that has the chemical ability to help you to remove iron(III)oxide particles from a surface without having to remove them mechanically. These particles are loosened up via a chemical process, that allows for them to be rinsed off safely. This product is sometimes also called "Iron-X". This is not the name of the liquid, but a productname of Carpro Trading Ltd, which is only one of many fallout removers on the market....
- Holograms are a visual sideeffect that can occur when polishing in a certain way with certain products. It looks good with minimal lighting, but when the lights hits the paint just right, you can see certain marks in de surface. These are very small surface imperfections that cause the light to be reflected in a slightly different way....
Links to this articleThere are no external links to this article. Yet.