Many detailers will post up pictures of their vehicle showing great beads, and then claim their layer of protection is very old. However, that doesn’t add up. When a wax is a few months old, it doesn’t bead very good anymore, and that is normal. So how did this person manage to use a normal wax and get such great beads after all that time? Because he used a !
The effect from a
A Quick Detailer is a product that is often used to “top up” or “boost” a layer of protection. This is very relative unfortunately. Like the article about Quick Detailer explains, it doesn’t actually boost wax. It creates a new layer on top of the wax that will offer temporarily improved water behavior. When a manufacturer uses similar polymers, it is possible to create cross-linking polymer interaction. This simply means that certain ingredients inside the layer of protection AND the adhere to each other in such a way that the layer of “bonds” with the layer of protection underneath.
But even if this happens (and unfortunately, this doesn’t happen very often) you are still looking at a layer of on top of the layer of protection underneath.
In many cases, a is an emulsion between wax, oils, polymers and water (or another carrier).
Are the beads genuine
Well, kinda. The beads you are seeing are real. The is designed to increase the water behavior in a beneficial way. Allowing water to have a higher surface tension than the surface energy from the surface, it becomes much easier for the water to slide off. Which is a nice side-effect that also looks good. So the water behavior you see isn’t fake. However, it is NOT the water behavior created by the original layer of protection. It is causes by the !
So what is the problem
When somebody posts a photo online of a very old layer of protection beading and sheeting like it is new, then people might get the impression that this is due to the layer of protection on the car. But in fact, it is the fresh layer of that is showing the beads.
You are not looking at the beads from the layer of wax (for example) underneath! You are looking at the fresh coat of that lies on top of the old layer of wax.
The layer of wax is worn, and doesn’t perform very good anymore. But the fresh coat of performs pretty good because it is very new.
Other people might think they need to buy this wax to get these beads and sheeting. But in fact they should buy the .
And that’s not all…
A fresh coat of any protective product will sheet and bead pretty good. That’s not a surprise. You can take an old car from the junkyard that hasn’t been washed in 5 years, spray some sealant on it, wipe it off and have beading. It’s that simple. However, a isn’t designed to last very long. A wax might lasts for 2 months, but a will only last weeks (some don’t even last that long).
So pictures of beading from a fresh coat of protection is very predictable.
However, show people the beading and sheeting from a 2 month old layer of protection WITHOUT having used a in that period, and people might actually be interested. Because it shows the performance of a protective product in an honest way. No gimmicks, no , just real-life and honest results.
To put it simple: (this applies to pretty much every product on the market)
|Timeline||Action||Beading and sheeting|
|The day of application||Just applied the product||Perfect beading and sheeting|
|After 1 week||Just a normal wash||Decent beading and sheeting|
|After 2 weeks||Just a normal wash||Slightly less beading and sheeting|
|After 1 month||Just a normal wash||Beading and sheeting is affected|
|After 2 months||Just a normal wash||Beading and sheeting is almost gone|
|After 3 months||Just applied 2 coats of||Very nice beading and sheeting|
|After 3.5 months||Just a normal wash||Beading and sheeting is affected|
|After 4 months||Just a normal wash||Beading and sheeting is almost gone|
- Dog hair in the interior of a car can be real nuisance. The hairs get stuck in the fibers of the fabric and become very difficult to remove. Using just a vacuum cleaner is often unsuccesfull, however, with a few tips these hairs can be removed much easier....
- It is often asked on detailing fora and social media: "what is the best wheelbrush". Off course there is a difference between certain products and brands, but it is important to know what you are asking. In this guide I will try to explain what the problem is with this question unless it is asked more in-depth....
- ValetPro is an English manufacturer of detailing related products. Although the brand offers a very wide range of products, their cleaners are likely to be the most popular products among most detailers....
- Winter is season in the year that makes cleaning cars more difficult, and more important. The amount of dirt you accumulate will increase greatly, but cleaning it off will become more difficult. This article aims at giving you the pointers, tips and tricks to make it easier for you....
- Bullsone is a Korean manufacturer of car related product. They offer engine treatment product as well as surface treatment products. Their detailing products are only lately gathering more attention from the European customers. ...
- is the opposite of , which means that it is a property of a molecule that "attracts" water. No real attraction force is involved though. In general substances dissolve easily in water....
- Carspünk is a manufacturer of detailing products from the United Kingdom. They offer cleaning, washing and protection products for automobile maintenance. They also have a merchandise clothing line available on their webshop....
- A polymers is a molecule (or large molecules) that can be used by manufacturers in order to fine-tune a product, or even to add certain properties to it. Polymers can be natural or synthetic. The synthetic group are also called: silicones....