Glass is more sensitive then most may think. Glass is actually damaged quite easily. However, correction on glass is not very easy, the surface is hard enough to make polishing very ineffective, however minor improvements can be made.
Paint is much softer then glass, and is also much easier to correct. Glass is harder and also much more fragile.
What you need to know about glass
There are several things to keep in mind when working with glass.
- The windscreen is made of 2 pieces of normal glass with a sticky layer between them. This prevents it from falling apart when breaking
- The glass on the sides are strengthened glass and is more stronger but will also break down in millions of tiny pieces when it breaks
- Most glass will break when there is a temperature difference of over 60 degrees celsius between 2 areas
- Applying to much pressure can break the glass
- Glass heats up really quickly and really easily
- To polish glass you need patience, time and practise
- Special glass polish gives much more result then automotive polish
- Special glass polishing pads will make much more result then normal polishing pads
- A DA is not very suitable for polishing glass, a rotary is more effective
- It is not only a matter of speed or pressure, it’s the right combo of these both
- Cleaning is still very important before starting to polish glass
Don’t expect to turn worn glass into perfection. It won’t happen. But you can make those wiper streaks less visible and perhaps hides a few other marks. As soon as you can feel it with your fingernail, you will have little effect on it. If it is just barely noticeable with your fingernail, then you have a chance to make it less visible.
- Nasiol is a Turkish manufacturer of detailing products, they are very unique in their history and origin. The products they offer are concentrated around the use of synthetic products and nano-technologie....
- The Supernatural Machine Stick came into being for two reasons. The first was that we are always looking at cosmetics packaging because waxes are quite similar in nature, and if we can find a better way to package something we will....
- Shurhold is an American manufacturer of detailing products and car care related products. The brand doesn't focus on just cars, but also boats, RV's and caravans. It is one of a few brands that offers products, machines and tools under 1 name....
- Vonixx is a Brazil based manufacturer of several carnauba based detailing products. The company has been active since 2005 and was formerly known as Quimiflex. Vonixx is one of the only car care manufacturers in Brazil....
- When you polish a surface, the level of imperfection defines how much work it will be to achieve a perfect finish. This can either be a 1 stage polish, a 2 stage polish or even a 3 stage polish. Different types of stages needed define slightly what pads and/or polish you are going to need, and might give an indication of the time-frame needed....
- For defect removal we need at least a polish, a pad and a polishing machine. In this article we describe the materials and reason why to use those materials in particular....