Glass is more sensitive then most may think. Glass is actually damaged quite easily. However, correction on glass is not very easy, the surface is hard enough to make polishing very ineffective, however minor improvements can be made.
Paint is much softer then glass, and is also much easier to correct. Glass is harder and also much more fragile.
What you need to know about glass
There are several things to keep in mind when working with glass.
- The windscreen is made of 2 pieces of normal glass with a sticky layer between them. This prevents it from falling apart when breaking
- The glass on the sides are strengthened glass and is more stronger but will also break down in millions of tiny pieces when it breaks
- Most glass will break when there is a temperature difference of over 60 degrees celsius between 2 areas
- Applying to much pressure can break the glass
- Glass heats up really quickly and really easily
- To polish glass you need patience, time and practise
- Special glass polish gives much more result then automotive polish
- Special glass polishing pads will make much more result then normal polishing pads
- A DA is not very suitable for polishing glass, a rotary is more effective
- It is not only a matter of speed or pressure, it’s the right combo of these both
- Cleaning is still very important before starting to polish glass
Don’t expect to turn worn glass into perfection. It won’t happen. But you can make those wiper streaks less visible and perhaps hides a few other marks. As soon as you can feel it with your fingernail, you will have little effect on it. If it is just barely noticeable with your fingernail, then you have a chance to make it less visible.
- Tyre blooming is the discoloration of the rubber in a tyre. This usually shows as brown rubber that is hard to clean off. In general, it won't get washed off and it might stain towels or applicators. Blooming doesn't cause immediate damage, but over time it could shorten the lifespan of the tyres by a small amount....
- Ceramic Pro is the productline created by Nanoshine Ltd. Ceramic Pro consists out of pure ceramic type products, including a ceramic coating for automobile and marine.'...
- Yes, more videos of rotary polishing techniques (DA ones will be following soon as well), this time for panels with sharper edges and contours and as an example the wing of a Jaguar XJ was used. two videos here, covering roughly the same point....
- Gumming can occur when polishing with not enough lubrication, to much heat and a clogged pad. It will show up as sticky residue marks on the paintwork. It is a general indication of an incorrect polishing technique. Ignoring this issue will negatively affect your polishing result....
- It is often asked on detailing fora and social media: "what is the best microfibre towel". Off course there is a difference between certain products and brands, but it is important to know what you are asking. In this guide I will try to explain what the problem is with this question unless it is asked more in-depth....
- There are a few different kinds of machine polishers on the market, these are designed with different strengths and weaknesses. Knowing what machine suits which job the best can help to make the job easier or achieve better results....