Glass is more sensitive then most may think. Glass is actually damaged quite easily. However, correction on glass is not very easy, the surface is hard enough to make polishing very ineffective, however minor improvements can be made.
Paint is much softer then glass, and is also much easier to correct. Glass is harder and also much more fragile.
What you need to know about glass
There are several things to keep in mind when working with glass.
- The windscreen is made of 2 pieces of normal glass with a sticky layer between them. This prevents it from falling apart when breaking
- The glass on the sides are strengthened glass and is more stronger but will also break down in millions of tiny pieces when it breaks
- Most glass will break when there is a temperature difference of over 60 degrees celsius between 2 areas
- Applying to much pressure can break the glass
- Glass heats up really quickly and really easily
- To polish glass you need patience, time and practise
- Special glass polish gives much more result then automotive polish
- Special glass polishing pads will make much more result then normal polishing pads
- A DA is not very suitable for polishing glass, a rotary is more effective
- It is not only a matter of speed or pressure, it’s the right combo of these both
- Cleaning is still very important before starting to polish glass
Don’t expect to turn worn glass into perfection. It won’t happen. But you can make those wiper streaks less visible and perhaps hides a few other marks. As soon as you can feel it with your fingernail, you will have little effect on it. If it is just barely noticeable with your fingernail, then you have a chance to make it less visible.
- When detailing cars (semi)professionally, it helps to know what you can ask for a certain job. Although you still need experience to fill in certain formulas, this will give a rough idea of how to get a fair price and to calculate your expenses....
- Sandblasting, or abrasive blasting, is the act of spraying a surface will small abrasive particles that are launched at very high speed and interact with the surface in a way similar to sanding....
- An engine bay cleaner is a specific product that is designed to clean engine. This very heavy degreaser is designed to remove caked on carbon deposits, stubborn grime and dirt and caked on dust and sand....
- IPA stands for IsoPropyl Alcohol, and is a chemical compound often used in the world of detailing to remove polish residue. The liquid is colorless with a strong odor. Caution is required for this liquid is very highly flammable!...
- Carlack is a Swiss manufacturer of car care products that has been making products since 1958. The brand is divided into 4 sections: Carlack, Aerolack, Yachtlack and Polylack, to cater for the need of several different type of surfaces and types of contaminants....
- It is often asked on detailing fora and social media: "what is the best Dual Action". Off course there is a difference between certain products and brands, but it is important to know what you are asking. In this guide I will try to explain what the problem is with this question unless it is asked more in-depth....