Cleaning a matte surface is slightly different to cleaning a regular glossy surface. There are certain things you need to keep in mind to do the job correctly without affecting the matte look.
What is a matte surface
A matte surface is a surface that has a very uneven surface. Because of this uneveness, it doesn’t reflect light in one single direction, but it redirects light in many different direction. This gives it a very different look then a glossy surface. Although a high glossy finish is more popular, many people prefer the look of a matte surface.
The risk when cleaning
The risk you run when cleaning a matte surface is that you unwillingly make it more flat then wanted. For example, if you would use a very light polish to clean the surface, you would actually flatten the surface, increasing the gloss. You would be removing the very things that makes a matte surface matte.
Tips and tricks for cleaning
- Don’t use a shampoo that has any gloss enhancers
- Don’t use a shampoo that contains wax
- Any additives are best avoided, it takes more effort to learn what is acceptable and what is not, then it is to just avoid any additives
- A shampoo without any additives, wax or gloss enhancers would be fine to use
- Use a soft washmitt
- Rub around in circles while washing to get the hair into every microscopic groove
- Be carefull with chemicals, always test in a small area first
- Scratches can be made, but are a bit more difficult to remove
- It is possible to clay, but don’t use a very rough clay and don’t apply to much pressure
- If you use a as a clay lube, rinse it off after you are done claying with a panel
- Try not to drag your towel when drying, but pat-dry
- When you have marring from claying, either use a chemical polish or a very fine finishing polish
- Don’t use wax or
- Any product with gloss enhancers are not recommended
- In case of doubt, always ask the manufacturer
- There are certain products on the market that are specifically designed for a matte surface, but products that are suited for both finishes don’t mention this
- How do you achieve the results from the videos about detailing? What is being shown in the video, and why? How can you learn from a video showing a detailer in action?...
- Some prefer to wash with warm water, others prefer to wash with cold water. Although the experience of working with it may be different, it is not completely clear what the difference is in the effect it has on a product or a surface....
- Applicators are products that are used to spread, apply, rub or buff a certain product to a certain surface. These can also be referred to as an applicator pad. There are many several differen shapes, sizes and material that are used for this....
- The Detail Guardz is a Canadian manufacturer of detailing and valeting equipment, mainly the Detail Guardz hose-slides with roller system....
- There are a few different kinds of machine polishers on the market, these are designed with different strengths and weaknesses. Knowing what machine suits which job the best can help to make the job easier or achieve better results....
- Frogtape has made a name in the branch of painters by making it easier to create sharp lines between 2 colors by simply using masking tape. Frogtape is a brand by Shurtape Technologies, which also create Duck, Painter's Mate, T-Rex tape and ShurTape....