Cleaning a matte surface is slightly different to cleaning a regular glossy surface. There are certain things you need to keep in mind to do the job correctly without affecting the matte look.
What is a matte surface
A matte surface is a surface that has a very uneven surface. Because of this uneveness, it doesn’t reflect light in one single direction, but it redirects light in many different direction. This gives it a very different look then a glossy surface. Although a high glossy finish is more popular, many people prefer the look of a matte surface.
The risk when cleaning
The risk you run when cleaning a matte surface is that you unwillingly make it more flat then wanted. For example, if you would use a very light polish to clean the surface, you would actually flatten the surface, increasing the gloss. You would be removing the very things that makes a matte surface matte.
Tips and tricks for cleaning
- Don’t use a shampoo that has any gloss enhancers
- Don’t use a shampoo that contains wax
- Any additives are best avoided, it takes more effort to learn what is acceptable and what is not, then it is to just avoid any additives
- A shampoo without any additives, wax or gloss enhancers would be fine to use
- Use a soft washmitt
- Rub around in circles while washing to get the hair into every microscopic groove
- Be carefull with chemicals, always test in a small area first
- Scratches can be made, but are a bit more difficult to remove
- It is possible to clay, but don’t use a very rough clay and don’t apply to much pressure
- If you use a as a clay lube, rinse it off after you are done claying with a panel
- Try not to drag your towel when drying, but pat-dry
- When you have marring from claying, either use a chemical polish or a very fine finishing polish
- Don’t use wax or
- Any product with gloss enhancers are not recommended
- In case of doubt, always ask the manufacturer
- There are certain products on the market that are specifically designed for a matte surface, but products that are suited for both finishes don’t mention this
- Carnauba waxes are the traditional automotive paintwork protection. Carnauba wax is secreted by the leaves of a tree in the rainforests of Brazil in order to protect the leaves from the blistering heat. It is one of natures most durable waxes with excellent protective properties that makes it ideal for protecting paint....
- A surface imperfection is an unwanted difference in depth, height or structure to the surrounding area. For example: a scratch, which is basically a sudden difference in depth with an edge that has an angle that is very different to the one of the surrounding area....
- A rain repellent is a special product that is designed to be applied on glass. The product leaves a verylayer on top of the glass. Water won't be able to form any wetting, and the round beads are more easily blown off the glass....
- Flex Tools is a German manufacturer of industrial tools. Along many other tools, they fabricate a few different polishing machines. The company name is often shortened to "Flex", and the tools used in the world of detailing are often referred to with "Flex"....
- There are a few different types of leather-like materials that can be used in a vehicle. Although many fabrics look and feel like leather, it might not be real leather. Fake leather is a commonly used product in regular priced vehicles and can be known via a few different names....
- Killerwaxx is an American manufacturer of detailing products. The company is located in California and its main audience is in the USA, with a smaller focus on Asia. ...
- Aluminium brighteners are essentially forms of hydrofluoric acid, which also sold under the type "tire cleaner". A very similar product is used for etching glass and rust removers. The pure product is extremely toxic and dangerous. Aluminium brightener is another name for "wheel cleaner" or "metal cleaner"....
- Wheels are an important part of your vehicles appearance. Polishing wheels can be just as effective on the overall look of the vehicle as the rest of the paintwork. Polishing wheels isn't very difficult, but takes some practice and the proper polish/tools to do it perfectly....