Cleaning a matte surface is slightly different to cleaning a regular glossy surface. There are certain things you need to keep in mind to do the job correctly without affecting the matte look.
What is a matte surface
A matte surface is a surface that has a very uneven surface. Because of this uneveness, it doesn’t reflect light in one single direction, but it redirects light in many different direction. This gives it a very different look then a glossy surface. Although a high glossy finish is more popular, many people prefer the look of a matte surface.
The risk when cleaning
The risk you run when cleaning a matte surface is that you unwillingly make it more flat then wanted. For example, if you would use a very light polish to clean the surface, you would actually flatten the surface, increasing the gloss. You would be removing the very things that makes a matte surface matte.
Tips and tricks for cleaning
- Don’t use a shampoo that has any gloss enhancers
- Don’t use a shampoo that contains wax
- Any additives are best avoided, it takes more effort to learn what is acceptable and what is not, then it is to just avoid any additives
- A shampoo without any additives, wax or gloss enhancers would be fine to use
- Use a soft washmitt
- Rub around in circles while washing to get the hair into every microscopic groove
- Be carefull with chemicals, always test in a small area first
- Scratches can be made, but are a bit more difficult to remove
- It is possible to clay, but don’t use a very rough clay and don’t apply to much pressure
- If you use a as a clay lube, rinse it off after you are done claying with a panel
- Try not to drag your towel when drying, but pat-dry
- When you have marring from claying, either use a chemical polish or a very fine finishing polish
- Don’t use wax or
- Any product with gloss enhancers are not recommended
- In case of doubt, always ask the manufacturer
- There are certain products on the market that are specifically designed for a matte surface, but products that are suited for both finishes don’t mention this
- Autosmart is one of the biggest suppliers of car cleaning products and materials, which are mostly supplied just to professionals and other businesses. The company aims at formulating large quantities which push production costs down. Autosmart is almost being sold worldwide and is based in Staffordshire, United Kingdom....
- Question arise occasionally about the buffing of compound. Buffing compound can be done in a few simple ways, and since it's the same as polishing it won't be have a high learning curve....
- Removing badges is a cosmetic thing. Many people like a clean and empty look, meaning the badges need to go. It takes a little practive to get them off easily and without doing any damage. The goal is to remove them without being able to notice that there where ever any badges applied....
- The expression "weekend warrior" is a common term used on social media and fora when detailing is discussed. It's not very clear who come up with the expression, but it's been around for a while. It's a informal way of describing a person who only irregularly details as a hobby. Most of the time this is done in weekends because most people have 2 days off....
- Surfactants are additives for certain products to lower the surface tension of a liquid. This helps the liquid to mix and combine with another substance, making it easier to combine a mixture of several (types of) substances. This acts as an emulsion, wetting-agent, detergent, foaming agent and/or dispersants. Surfactants combineand properties, which allows them to interact with both types....
- Hose slides are small tools that prevent any hose from getting stuck behind the wheel of a vehicle. Hose slides are offered by many different brands and manufacturer but are all basically the same....