Cleaning a matte surface is slightly different to cleaning a regular glossy surface. There are certain things you need to keep in mind to do the job correctly without affecting the matte look.
What is a matte surface
A matte surface is a surface that has a very uneven surface. Because of this uneveness, it doesn’t reflect light in one single direction, but it redirects light in many different direction. This gives it a very different look then a glossy surface. Although a high glossy finish is more popular, many people prefer the look of a matte surface.
The risk when cleaning
The risk you run when cleaning a matte surface is that you unwillingly make it more flat then wanted. For example, if you would use a very light polish to clean the surface, you would actually flatten the surface, increasing the gloss. You would be removing the very things that makes a matte surface matte.
Tips and tricks for cleaning
- Don’t use a shampoo that has any gloss enhancers
- Don’t use a shampoo that contains wax
- Any additives are best avoided, it takes more effort to learn what is acceptable and what is not, then it is to just avoid any additives
- A shampoo without any additives, wax or gloss enhancers would be fine to use
- Use a soft washmitt
- Rub around in circles while washing to get the hair into every microscopic groove
- Be carefull with chemicals, always test in a small area first
- Scratches can be made, but are a bit more difficult to remove
- It is possible to clay, but don’t use a very rough clay and don’t apply to much pressure
- If you use a QD as a clay lube, rinse it off after you are done claying with a panel
- Try not to drag your towel when drying, but pat-dry
- When you have marring from claying, either use a chemical polish or a very fine finishing polish
- Don’t use wax or glaze
- Any product with gloss enhancers are not recommended
- In case of doubt, always ask the manufacturer
- There are certain products on the market that are specifically designed for a matte surface, but products that are suited for both finishes don’t mention this
- Finish Kare is a detailing products manufacturer that started out creating mold release products. The step into car wax for protective purposes was a small change that was easy enough to make. The brand now offers a small range of cleaning, polishing, protecting and perfecting surfaces for both car and marine detailing....
- Oxidation is the chemical process in which there is a chemical reaction that involves the moving of electrons. To be more precise, it means that the substance that is giving away electrons is oxidized. In simple terms it means that the surface of any object is affected when time goes by....
- Smartwax is an American brand of detailing products located in California. The brand was established around 2003 and has a fairly wide range of products that is being offered via several different resellers....
- Washing is the act of replacing unwanted particles/substances from a surface to a carrying medium. This act is used to clean the surface that is being washed....
- Convertibles come in 2 types, the ones with a hard roof (hard top) and the ones with a fabric roof (soft top). The fabric on a soft top needs to be cleaned and protected, just like paintwork. ...
- The use of wax as a protective product is very popular and has been one of the most used ways of protecting paintwork since the invention of wax many years ago. The application of wax isn't very difficult, which makes it so popular. But it helps to know how to get the most out of your wax to get the best results....