A rain repellent is a special product that is designed to be applied on glass. The product leaves a very hydrophobic layer on top of the glass. Water won’t be able to form any wetting, and the round beads are more easily blown off the glass.
Why use a rain repellent
A rain repellent creates a safe situation. When there is so much water on the screen that your wipers hardly do the trick anymore, the rain repellent will create a hydrophobic layer that prevents the water from creating one big sheet. Because of this, it is easier to look through the window. When driving above a certain speed the wind will actually blow those drops off the windscreen. Some people have reported saying that they hardly needed their wipers anymore. However, when wipers need to be used, it is safer to just use them. Rain repellent or not.
A rain repellent has a hydrophobic effect. This simply means that the water molecules pull harder on themselves then that the surface underneath pulls on them. This gives the impression that the water is being pushed away. This effect causes the water to not being able to form big sheets of water. Instead it forms individual round drops of water. These drops are more easily affected by wind because they are higher with a much smaller contact area. If the vehicle reaches a certain speed, the waterdroplets are simply blown off the surface.
Application varies from product to product. But in most cases this general guide will give a good idea on the most common way of application.
- Clean the window as best as you can
- Polishing/claying can help you to clean the glass more thoroughly
- Wipe the glass off with an IPA based glass cleaner
- Apply the glass sealant either to an application pad or a MF towel
- Apply the product to the glass. The key is to apply it evenly on the surface
- If you put a few small dots in several places, and then go over that area criss-cross, you are more likely to get an even coverage
- Leave the product to dry (check the label or ask your manufacturer on the recommended time)
- Buff off the residue, in many cases this will take a fair bit of effort
- A glass sealant doesn’t really need any maintenance, just a regular wash is enough
- Check the finished result in different light, there might be smear that are difficult to see
Ups and downs
There are a few upsides and downsides on using a rain repellent.
- It won’t fix worn wipers
- It can make the wipers skip a bit
- The drops of water can dry up and leave little round spots of sand/dust
- Not everybody likes the look of raindrops flying over the windscreen
- Application can sometimes require a fair bit of effort (product dependent)
- The cheaper sealant will only last months, the more expensive coatings can last years
- Cleaning thoroughly can have a big effect on performance
- In very rare cases people have reported seeing a very slight funhouse-mirror effect (others couldn’t replicate it)
- The product can have a negative effect on the MF towel used, it’s best to use an old MF towel
- Certain product are known to dissolve foam applicator pads
- In the world of detailing, their are several special cleaning products. Among them is the tar remover. This is a special cleaning product to remove tar and often also glue residue. Tar can come from roads and sometimes at industrial places, it is used in asphalt roads and can be used at construction sites for roofing and some plumbing jobs. It doesn't cause damage, but shows up as ugly black spots which are notoriously difficult to remove....
- A silicone remover is specially designed product that is aimed at breaking the polymer bonds that are the basis behind a silicone product. This product can be used to clean of certain substances from an area, for example: cleaning of residue from a protective product before applying a coating....
- IPA stands for IsoPropyl Alcohol, and is a chemical compound often used in the world of detailing to remove polish residue. The liquid is colorless with a strong odor. Caution is required for this liquid is very highly flammable!...
- Alchimy7 is a French manufacturer of detailing products, their main focus lies on synthetic products. The complete range includes products for almost every step in the detailing process....
- Microfibers are a fabric that is designed to have certain characteristics. The microscopic fibers of this synthetic fabric can be made to have certain properties by design. Making them excel at certain tasks....
- Brake cleaner is a specific product that is designed to clean off brake pads and brake discs. The solution is sprayed on the object and then wiped off. It is particularly good at removing stubborn dirt, cleaning of grease and oils and removing brake dust....