An all purpose cleaner (often abbreviated into: APC) is a multipurpose, liquid, spray-on cleaner that can be used on several types of dirt. It is one of the most common products used by a detailer due to its versatility.
What is an all purpose cleaner
The ingredients that make an all purpose cleaner can be very different, but in general they are basically medium to light degreasers. They are not as strong or effective as an engine bay cleaner or traffic film remover, but they are stronger then shampoo, partly because they work in a different way. Most regular cleaning products (such as shampoo) are designed to remove common types of dirt in an effective way without affecting the protective layer. An APC is designed to remove the most common types of dirt as best it can, even if it has an affect on the protective layer. In many cases they also design an APC to be low foaming, but not all.
In terms of strength, you could class an APC between a shampoo and an engine bay cleaner. However, since these products are different in their chemical make-up, this is just a very loose comparison.
APC and paintwork
APC should be safe with any type of surface. Even though it can have an affect on the protective layer, it should not have any affect on the surface itself. So an APC should be perfectly safe on paint, gelcoat, glass, rubber, plastic or metals.
APC and fabric
APC can be used safely on fabric. In fact, many APC’s are very effective at cleaning seats, carpets and other types of fabric.It can easily be used in combination with an extractor (wet-vacuum cleaner). The only thing you might want to look out for is if it is low foaming or not. If it is not low foaming, the solution you suck up with the extractor will start to foam inside the machine. Eventually this foam will mimic the effect of a full container, causing most machine to either stop sucking or to leak water/foam.
APC and it’s many uses
Among many other possibilities, APC can safely be used for these tasks:
- Cleaning door shuts and hinges
- Cleaning tires and wheelarches
- Cleaning stubborn dirt from paintwork
- Cleaning fabric
- Giving the engine bay a light clean
- Wiping down light dirt from varies surfaces
- Cleaning of grime and oils from a window prior to using a glass cleaner
- Clean polish pads after use
- Loosen up dirt by soaking it in APC
- Pre-cleaning the roof of a convertible
- Cleaning tools
- Loosen up dirt in MF towel before washing
- Cleaning of polish residue (not a substitute for IPA or another panel wipe!)
- Cleaning a tailpipe
- Cleaning small spaces and crevices you can’t get into
- The Supernatural Machine Stick came into being for two reasons. The first was that we are always looking at cosmetics packaging because waxes are quite similar in nature, and if we can find a better way to package something we will....
- Smart Polish Pro is an English manufacturer of detailing products with a strong aim on environmental-friendly products that do not require the use of water. The company is fairly young, but has been growing in popularity in only a few years....
- 303 is an American brand by GoldEagle and consists of several detailing products for a wide variety of markets. The products can be used for automotive detailing, but also for indoor/outdoor use and boat care. The brand offers several different products for several different tasks....
- How do you achieve the results from the videos about detailing? What is being shown in the video, and why? How can you learn from a video showing a detailer in action?...
- When detailing cars (semi)professionally, it helps to know what you can ask for a certain job. Although you still need experience to fill in certain formulas, this will give a rough idea of how to get a fair price and to calculate your expenses....
- When you are going to polish any surface, you are going to rub a product over the surface. While doing this you need a very controlled matter of particles to move over the surface to have any control over the result you'll achieve. Preparing the paintwork will help you to get as much control as possible....