An engine bay cleaner is a specific product that is designed to clean engine. This very heavy degreaser is designed to remove caked on carbon deposits, stubborn grime and dirt and caked on dust and sand.
When to use an engine bay cleaner
Although the name already suggests that is good at cleaning engine bays, it can also be used to clean suspensions, underbodies and certain parts that are exposed to severe dirt and grime. Some items can be used to strip wax and such, but not all surface respond the same to this heavy degreaser. There is a risk of staining and sometimes even irreversible surface damage. It is therefore very much recommended that you try this product carefully before applying it to a whole vehicle.
Although the exact ingredients differ very much from one product to another, they are all based an heavy degreasers. Where an APC won’t have the power to clean anymore, the engine bay cleaner begins. This means it needs to be used carefully and protection should be worn. When used properly it can make a job a lot easier and clean grime that seemed unremovable.
Tips and tricks
Although it is not a difficult product to use, you can use these tips and tricks to get an better result or do it in a cheaper way.
- If the dirt is has to remove isn’t severe, you can dilute it and make it last longer
- Clean off as much with APC first, and then remove the last bit with the engine bay cleaner
- Although very effective, this product is not very cheap. Take this in account when making your price
- Wear rotection for your skin and eyes. Engine bay cleaners are very chemical
- Always try out on a small area before applying to a larger area
- Always be extra careful around unprotected metal
- A pre-wax cleaner is a product that helps to prepare the surface for a layer of wax, the effects the product can have can differ from just preparation by cleaning, to filling swirls (like a Glaze) and leaving an oily residue for added gloss....
- Sheeting is a particular form of water behavior. Thanks to the interaction between a liquid and a surface, sheeting can occur. This means that the water glides off the surface like a big "sheet" of water. There are a few different things at play that cause sheeting, but it is a popular effect that protective layer can give....
- OCD Finish is an English manufacturer and seller of detailing products. The brand was setup by the annoynce of having to buy many different products from different sources. It started out with 2 owners and is run by Neil Trew at the moment....
- Ceramic Pro is the productline created by Nanoshine Ltd. Ceramic Pro consists out of pure ceramic type products, including a ceramic coating for automobile and marine.'...
- A rinseless wash is a washing technique that allows you to wash your car in a way that does not require rinsing afterwards. It is not waterless, but rinseless. This way of washing can save on time and/or product and prevents too much chemicals from going down the drain....
- Waterless washing is a technique in which no water is used to clean the surface. The product for this technique has high lubricating properties, good cleaning agents and leaves little to no residue. It is not always as good as a regular wash, and is not suited for highly contaminated vehicles....